PDA

View Full Version : Pens for the Holidays Anyone?

Laura N
November 17th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Anyone want to talk pens?

Is anyone seeking, hoping or planning on anything fountain pen-related for Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, Yule, the upcoming New Year or any other upcoming holiday?

I am tempted by some of the new Diamine 150th Anniversary inks, but I already have too many inks, darn it. And I really want to try the upcoming Montblanc Corn Poppy Red, but again....

GING GING
November 17th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Test

Ian
November 17th, 2014, 11:50 PM
I just bought a Franklin-Christoph 03 Iterum with the 1.9mm Music nib to write Christmas cards. I bought an 02 with a music nib at the San Francisco show this year, but I wanted to have two so I could have one inked with red and one with green. I will be using J Herbin Rouge Hematite and Iroshizuku Shin-ryoku. I will probably get myself two or three pens for Christmas, but I do not know which ones yet.

Jon Szanto
November 18th, 2014, 12:17 AM
I had mothballed a Rosetta Magellan with a Pendleton Brown stub in it, just hadn't been doing it for me. After about a year or more, I pulled it out to try the new J. Herbin Stormy Seas, and it worked a treat! So, I'm going to use that up and give it a try as a host for 1670 Rouge Hemetite, and I've got a nice Sheaffer Balance with a Minuskin stub that will be perfect with this bottle of Conway-Stewart (most likely Diamine) dark green that was given out at the 2013 LA Pen Show.

The funny part? The red is going in a green pen, and the green is going in a red pen. I predict the Earth's magnetic poles will shift.

I'm almost ready.

Laura N
November 18th, 2014, 06:53 AM
I have one pen I may get as a holiday gift, but it's not for certain. I've picked it out, but I am waiting on a gift certificate.

One nice thing about being long married is being able to pick out one or two things and say to my husband "this is from you." :)

Neo
November 18th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Giving my little one a parker Frontier and a Kakuno.

Laura N
November 18th, 2014, 09:46 AM

That's so great. Buying a pen for a child is the most fun. Of course, I just looked up the Kakuno and I want a pink one for myself now.

Sammyo
November 18th, 2014, 10:40 AM
I have plenty on my Amazon wish list if anyone wants to offer ;)

I bought my niece a JinHao 8802 with the plum blossom pattern on it. I smoothed the nib out and made sure it was in the best possible state it can be and suppied her with some Kaweco purple ink carts. She told me that she loved fountain pens a month or so ago so she has started to "collect them all" (she is 9) so I thought I'd help :)

VertOlive
November 18th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Well, I have my Sailor Kingdom Note "Crested Ibis" ink ready for the two boxes of Christmas cards waiting to be sent to all my pen pals.

Thinking about one of the TWSBI's on the Pendleton site for my husband to "surprise" me with at Christmas. The green or the white...

My 8 yr old still considers pointed objects as tactical weaponry, so no fountain pens yet!

Sailor Kenshin
November 18th, 2014, 12:36 PM

Is anyone seeking, hoping or planning on anything fountain pen-related for Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, Yule, the upcoming New Year or any other upcoming holiday?

I am tempted by some of the new Diamine 150th Anniversary inks, but I already have too many inks, darn it. And I really want to try the upcoming Montblanc Corn Poppy Red, but again....

I already got a NOS Waterman Carene as a sort of advance birthday present, so I might have mined that vein already. I had my eye on the new MB Defoe ink, and the DA US Constitution ink. I dunno...at least the MB ink's green. ;)

VertOlive
November 18th, 2014, 01:12 PM
"I had my eye on the new MB Defoe ink"--:thumb:

Neo
November 18th, 2014, 02:50 PM

That's so great. Buying a pen for a child is the most fun. Of course, I just looked up the Kakuno and I want a pink one for myself now.

Yes, he had outgrown the free one from the Anderson's at the DC pen show. He would like a Menlo but that would be a bit much.....at least while he's still in the single digits.

bluefeathers
November 18th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Fun thread :) I've already picked out a Conway Stewart 100 in Classic Green for my X-mas present. I wasn't supposed to buy
any pens until then, but couldn't resist a vintage CS 58, so I'll soon have my first vintage and modern line up of Conway Stewart pens! Can't wait to get the book too.
I'll be writing some Christmas cards again this year too--Rouge Hematite sounds like a good ink for the task! No one else uses fountain pens now in my family,
but I may get my mother a pen at some point, since she's mentioned liking my Pelikan white tortoise...

Laura N
November 18th, 2014, 05:54 PM
We're all being so good.

Someone needs to bid on a Pelikan Maki-e creation (http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.CMS.displayCMS.202183./maki-e-unique-collection-2014) or order a Namiki Yukari Royale set (http://www.nibs.com/namiki-yukari-royale-hina-dolls.htm) or something equally wonderful, so if I cave in and sneak a pen under the tree I won't feel so bad.

Actually, I wouldn't put a pen under the tree, because my dog would eat it, and that would make me feel really bad. For the pen. The dog has an iron stomach.

Crazyorange
November 19th, 2014, 05:51 AM
My Xmas gift arrived last week. I bought off of fleabay a visconti millennium one in red. Can't wait to ink it up....I need hold out til Xmas. Hope I can make it.

reprieve
November 19th, 2014, 07:38 AM
I'd like a few of the new Diamine anniversary inks, also, but, yes, too many inks already. I don't have any more room in my ink cabinet so I'm trying to resist. We'll see how long that lasts.

After a few weeks of staring at photos online, I finally gave in and ordered a Wild Rubin Lamy Studio with a gold nib. I'm waiting on that one to arrive from Fahrney's. It might be my "holiday pen" rather than my "Christmas pen" since I'm not sure that I can wait until December before ripping open the package! It is red and sparkly so it does seem especially appropriate for the holiday season.

Then again, I'll probably justify another pen purchase in December by saying, "well, this one can be my Christmas present!"

Inner Prop
November 19th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Nice thing about pens is you can put them ON the tree.

I'm asking for a dog. I don't think I need to worry about my pens chewing on the dog though.

I got a Kaweco AL Sport for my birthday AND got to go to the All Blacks - USA Eagles match so I think I used up all my pen brownie points. I'm going to have to cash in any other current and all my future ones just to get the dog.

Crazyorange
November 19th, 2014, 09:30 AM

I'm asking for a dog. I don't think I need to worry about my pens chewing on the dog though.

I got a Kaweco AL Sport for my birthday AND got to go to the All Blacks - USA Eagles match so I think I used up all my pen brownie points. I'm going to have to cash in any other current and all my future ones just to get the dog.

What type of dog? :)

Laura N
November 19th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I'd like a few of the new Diamine anniversary inks, also, but, yes, too many inks already. I don't have any more room in my ink cabinet so I'm trying to resist. We'll see how long that lasts.

After a few weeks of staring at photos online, I finally gave in and ordered a Wild Rubin Lamy Studio with a gold nib. I'm waiting on that one to arrive from Fahrney's. It might be my "holiday pen" rather than my "Christmas pen" since I'm not sure that I can wait until December before ripping open the package! It is red and sparkly so it does seem especially appropriate for the holiday season.

Then again, I'll probably justify another pen purchase in December by saying, "well, this one can be my Christmas present!"

Exactly how I roll.

Laura N
November 19th, 2014, 10:07 AM
It doesn't help that I look up every pen mentioned in this thread and think, wow, nice!

caribbean_skye
November 19th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Not sure that any pens will be on my list this year (not unless several people go in and buy one together) but i keep finding inks to add to the list

laoriginaltec
November 19th, 2014, 05:21 PM
I haven't picked any pens for christmas, only because I collect lamy al-star's and safari's and whenever I find a color I have been looking for I buy it. So I guess it's christmas for me all year. However I do have my eye on the studio in the Royal Red.

ac12
November 19th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Not to buy, but to use.
I plan do some of my Christmas cars with a dip pen this year, last year I use a 1.1 stub. Depending on how many cards, I may switch to the 1.1 at a certain point, just for speed.
Inks will be Diamine Ultra Green and Sheaffer Skrip Red in alternating colors for each sentence.

Chrissy
November 20th, 2014, 02:08 AM
It doesn't help that I look up every pen mentioned in this thread and think, wow, nice!

I think that with all pens in all threads.

Chrissy
November 20th, 2014, 02:13 AM
Well, I have my Sailor Kingdom Note "Crested Ibis" ink ready for the two boxes of Christmas cards waiting to be sent to all my pen pals.

I would be happy to exchange a Christmas card written in 'Kobe Monet Violet' for one of yours written with 'Crested Ibis' if you're interested :o

Inner Prop
November 20th, 2014, 09:48 AM

What type of dog? :)

My youngest wants a pug, my wife has a possible source of beagles. I don't think either are recommended for what we want, so I think I may frequent some local shelters until I can find one that tugs my wife's heartstrings sufficiently (she has been telling me, "no dog" since 1989).

I sent a video of animated Noodler's Dragon's Napalm to my daughters and found out my middle child wants disposable FPs, and my eldest wants Dragon's Napalm, so I guess I'm going to pick up an inexpensive pen for her to use it.

Does anyone know of a source of pen posters and/or books. I like the idea of getting ancillary pen related items as well as pens. I'm far less picky about accouterments than the pens themselves.

gbryal
November 20th, 2014, 10:36 AM

Is anyone seeking, hoping or planning on anything fountain pen-related for Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, Yule, the upcoming New Year or any other upcoming holiday?shc

What a splendid idea, a present from me to me. Maybe one for every day of Saturnalia...

I ordered a couple of Otoh Tasche pens and Rhodia dotPads for the family.

orfew
November 20th, 2014, 01:28 PM
I bought myself a Pelikan M205 for my own Christmas gift. Got it from Pen Chalet. They were great to deal with.

Laura N
November 21st, 2014, 01:52 PM
Well, I saw the Montblanc Corn Poppy ink and caved instantly. So that will have to be for Christmas.

I also got The World's Best Pen, but that is definitely for Thanksgiving, as I will explain later.

Luckily, gbryal has reminded us of Saturnalia. If I see anything else, that may have to be a fallback excuse.

reprieve
November 21st, 2014, 02:59 PM
I also got The World's Best Pen, but that is definitely for Thanksgiving, as I will explain later.

Alright, I'm intrigued. I want to know more about The World's Best Pen!

AtomicLeo
November 22nd, 2014, 11:18 AM
I've been eyeing the new red Lamy Studio that came out this month, but I'm trying to behave!

Runnin_Ute
November 22nd, 2014, 04:44 PM
I have one pen I may get as a holiday gift, but it's not for certain. I've picked it out, but I am waiting on a gift certificate.

One nice thing about being long married is being able to pick out one or two things and say to my husband "this is from you." :)

Looks like this years Christmas pen will be a TWSBI 580 - just haven't decided on nib and version yet......

Last year were a pair of Pelikan's purchased from Murfie. A Toledo Red M205 and a NOS 120 Merz & Krell.

Newjelan
November 22nd, 2014, 10:43 PM
I've been so naughty in the last 2 weeks and I'm attempting to rationalise it as Birthday and Christmas presents.

I bought a Lamy 2000 in Stainless Steel and loved it so much I've ordered the black one as well! On top of that I have a Cult Pens Kaweco mini, Kaweco Sport in stonewashed blue, a TWSBI 580 (Aluminum) and a Pilot Metropolitan all winging their way to me. Not to mention a couple of Kaweco Ink Rollers (I love them) and some Webbies on sale!

Lady Onogaro
November 22nd, 2014, 10:52 PM
Definitely look for a shelter dog--save a good dog's life. Plus, there are probably some puppyish dogs in the shelter right now. I know you could find one to fall in love with.

As far as pens, I still really like my Varsity fountain pens. Your daughter might like the Varsity set with the pretty and bright colors. Or she might like to play around with a Nib Creaper. You could ask Dreck (of this list) has advice. I think he got his daughter one.

jde
November 23rd, 2014, 02:49 PM
No pens for me, Laura. But I have been upgrading some of my nibs, and sending them off for custom stub grinds. Two from Deb Kinney (my fav), and two from others. That's pretty festive for me!

GING GING
November 24th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Mrs. Claus told me that she gets pretty lonely throughout the year, with Mr Claus working in the toy shop. So, I sent her a photo of me in a pair of daisy Dukes and a halter top. Now Mrs Claus wants me to come visit her. She said I could have any pen I wanted for Christmas. She's gonna send me the Porsche, solid. 3135. Thanx Mrs Claus.

Farmboy
November 24th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Mrs. Claus told me that she gets pretty lonely throughout the year, with Mr Claus working in the toy shop. So, I sent her a photo of me in a pair of daisy Dukes and a halter top. Now Mrs Claus wants me to come visit her. She said I could have any pen I wanted for Christmas. She's gonna send me the Porsche, solid. 3135. Thanx Mrs Claus.

http://youtu.be/4B6rs1zECGM

Laura N
November 24th, 2014, 09:20 PM
I see you and raise you. Chicago blues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mTtgRoosog

Farmboy
November 24th, 2014, 10:14 PM
I couldn't find Nina so I'll give you a version Green would like--

http://youtu.be/2YoFw4RhZT8