PDA

View Full Version : What Is A Fountain Pen Reviw ???

grandmia
July 25th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Hi All

I have been informed that my videos do not constitute as a fountain pen review.Therefore i would like to ask a question :-

What is a fountain pen review ?

Does a review have to be in a literary form ?

In this day and age of media, can a review be in a video form ?

Your comments would be appreciated.

Stef.

ianmedium
July 25th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Stef.

I don't know who told you that. I have watched all your videos now and I would say the ones that do not deal with restoration are reviews. You cover all the points of the pen, some history and what it is like to write with. Not sure what else you would have to do for a review! The restoration ones are just that, restoration videos.

I just stopped typing to watch the 146 video and it confirms what I thought, most certainly a very comprehensive video review of the pen, the history, what it is made of and how it writes. Who ever has informed you that it is not really needs to be corrected I think.

Oh yes, unlike so many youtube videos yours are crystal clear and sharp so it is very easy to see all the details, also your lighting is spot on. A few others could learn a thing or two from your reviews!

fountainpenkid
July 25th, 2012, 06:32 PM
What? Thats ridiculous! Of course videos count as reviews! If they go through and highlight details of the pen like normal reviews, and give some sort of a verdict, I would say they are reviews. Heck, some written reviews on FPN are really all just pictures :) I consider well shot videos much nicer than the picture reviews. But it often hard to really shoot a good, clear video without a helper who has a good hand. (One camera angle is often boring and doesn't capture a pen very well.)

Just my two cents!

Will

fountainpenkid
July 25th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Stef.

I don't know who told you that. I have watched all your videos now and I would say the ones that do not deal with restoration are reviews. You cover all the points of the pen, some history and what it is like to write with. Not sure what else you would have to do for a review! The restoration ones are just that, restoration videos.

I just stopped typing to watch the 146 video and it confirms what I thought, most certainly a very comprehensive video review of the pen, the history, what it is made of and how it writes. Who ever has informed you that it is not really needs to be corrected I think.

Oh yes, unlike so many youtube videos yours are crystal clear and sharp so it is very easy to see all the details, also your lighting is spot on. A few others could learn a thing or two from your reviews!

+1. I do think you shoot your videos well, as Ian said. Others....not so much (I'm kinda calling the kettle black here :))

manoeuver
July 25th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Stef, some of your videos do not feature the connected figure-8 type doodle OR the word Egypt and thus are not eligible for official 'review' certification.

Use of a certain phrase involving a certain fleet-footed feral beast and its spatial relation to some slothful domestic pets MAY qualify a submission, but only if it is an UNVERIFIABLE OCCURRENCE and there are no further contextual references to said event. If it is discovered that you actually witnessed such an event and are in fact reporting it we will be forced to come and confiscate all your pens immediately.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you have any more questions I will be happy to offer more assistance as I am able.

KrazyIvan
July 25th, 2012, 07:17 PM
They look like reviews to me. The media does not matter. Umm, maybe you should title your videos "The Non-Review of XXXXX Pen." I am literally rolling my eyes as I sit here typing this.

Let's see what the dictionary has to say.

Review: Noun: A formal assessment or examination of something.

Maybe just wear a tuxedo when you do your reviews.

writingrav
July 25th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Someone must be pulling your leg. If yours are not reviews, I don't know what a review is.

Bogon07
July 25th, 2012, 09:40 PM
They seem like reviews to me.
Then again I don't have any snobby pens so maybe I'm missing the point.

Perhaps you could add the word video in the title so those who are upset at your use of the medium aren't upset.

Keep 'em coming and push the envelope.

Maja
July 26th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Who told you this? If it's not FPGeeks, it might be a site that has their own rules about review formats, and I'm not about to criticize someone else about their rules. :)
Personally, I enjoy watching your videos on YouTube :)

Sailor Kenshin
July 26th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Now I have to go and watch. :)

grandmia
July 27th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hello all....
Thank you for your replies.I also believe my videos are reviews but unfortunately i have now been barred from another well known forum because they said that my videos are not reviews.O well !!!
At least you people are are lucky enough to be able to watch what YOU want rather than some one telling you what you are allowed to watch or not watch.Thats called freedom of speech.Thanks again....
Stef.

KrazyIvan
July 27th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Im sorry to hear that, Stef. I am luckily subscribed to your Youube channel. Was it the Swan video?

grandmia
July 28th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Hi Ivan

Yes it was,plus i asked the same question i have here.It did no come as surprise as they have been constantly hounding me every time i upload something.I just feel sorry for the normal members who are not allowed to watch my videos.
If there are any members from THAT forum reading all i can say is sorry,but if you want to watch the latest video your FREE to subscribe to my video chanel on youtube.....
Regards
Stef.

snedwos
July 28th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I wonder if what they want to term a review is when you review a new pen, ie one that has just entered the market, and about which there is not much information out there. A vintage pen would not then be review material.

grandmia
July 28th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I wonder if what they want to term a review is when you review a new pen, ie one that has just entered the market, and about which there is not much information out there. A vintage pen would not then be review material.

Hi...I do not think it matters,does it ? A pen is a pen be it new or vintage.There are people who are interested in newer pens and there are people who are interested in vintage pens.In my opinion a review can be written and can be in a video form,so i do not see what the problem is.I think it is just a simple case of being awkward as i have had nothing but hassle from them every time i post a new video.

Thanks Stef.

snedwos
July 28th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I'm right with you, I think they're being silly, I like your videos. Your accent is comforting, lol!

Twoodi
July 29th, 2012, 03:29 AM
I had a friend years ago who also shared my addiction to fountain pens but she was profoundly deaf and even though I have lost touch with her if there is also a written copy to what is said then she could read it but otherwise would miss the details because she can't hear. This is not commonplace of course but maybe include a typed sub-titles or something for those who are hard of hearing. Just a thought and not a criticism.

grandmia
July 31st, 2012, 05:36 AM
I had a friend years ago who also shared my addiction to fountain pens but she was profoundly deaf and even though I have lost touch with her if there is also a written copy to what is said then she could read it but otherwise would miss the details because she can't hear. This is not commonplace of course but maybe include a typed sub-titles or something for those who are hard of hearing. Just a thought and not a criticism.

Hi...Thank you for your reply.Your quite right unfortunatly those of hard of hearing do miss the commentry.My videos do take a while to do and to type text as well would take to long,sorry.Thank you for viewing....

Truppi327
August 4th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Surprised to hear that you were having trouble for posting video reviews on FPN. I watched your Swan 3140 video to see what the "problem" could possibly be.

Do they perhaps take issue with the fact that at the end you mention the pen is "looking for a new home" implying it is for sale to viewers? Perhaps the folks who told you the videos weren't reviews feel like a review purely an informational overview but if you mention the pen is for sale it becomes an advertisement. FPN seems to try and keep anything that could be construed as a sales pitch separate from informational resources.

Just throwing out an idea since I am not very familiar with your other videos - not taking a side here.

Okami
August 4th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I think that it is because most of these pens are looking for new homes. I noted that one moderator posted "Let's remain on topic please. Discussion of sales is prohibited on the forums. If you have questions regarding items for sale, it is best to handle that through PMs or email."

grandmia
August 5th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Surprised to hear that you were having trouble for posting video reviews on FPN. I watched your Swan 3140 video to see what the "problem" could possibly be.

Do they perhaps take issue with the fact that at the end you mention the pen is "looking for a new home" implying it is for sale to viewers? Perhaps the folks who told you the videos weren't reviews feel like a review purely an informational overview but if you mention the pen is for sale it becomes an advertisement. FPN seems to try and keep anything that could be construed as a sales pitch separate from informational resources.

Just throwing out an idea since I am not very familiar with your other videos - not taking a side here.

Hi...I understand what you are saying,but what is the difference between my videos being honest and upfront saying that the pen is for sale ? And the other "reviews" and comments from members that i will not name who blatently advertise there services which ? Maybe a case for one rule for us, but you are not allowed to ?
At the end of the day it doesn't matter, what matters is that we keep pens fun !

grandmia
August 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I think that it is because most of these pens are looking for new homes. I noted that one moderator posted "Let's remain on topic please. Discussion of sales is prohibited on the forums. If you have questions regarding items for sale, it is best to handle that through PMs or email."

Please see previous reply...Thanks...

Maja
August 5th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Stef, this is from a pinned FPN thread in the Pen Review forum entitled " * Please read this before posting! *" (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/80380-please-read-this-before-posting/) :

Also, please refrain from posting external links to your reviews hosted elsewhere. It is OK if the review content, or bulk of it, is posted on FPN. Postings that only contain external links will not be linked to the review index. Sorry.

and this in another pinned thread on FPN in the same forum (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80494):

Posts containing just an external link to a review, no review content, will not be linked in the index. There are a number of reasons for this. But mainly the issue is reliability. Content hosted only externally is subject to the reliability of that host website. We have had a number of reviews where external links have become broken (a student leaves the university where the review was hosted, a website service changes the URL, a member ends up closing their account or it expires). Plus, members should only be subjected to the FPN servers while visiting. External links often present a degree of uncertainty (unknown sources, 3rd party links, cookies, ad-content, ad-ware, monitoring, viruses, etc).

Basically, I don't think a mere link to a YouTube pen review is allowed on FPN, according to those rules. It is pretty clearly stated above.

KrazyIvan
August 5th, 2012, 09:34 PM
If I recall, he posted the embedded link so the material was still view-able on FPN without going to the external link. Yeah it is a technicality. I know.

caribbean_skye
September 4th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Erm, forgive me for not knowing this, but where can I find your youtube reviews Stef?

Thanks.

grandmia
September 5th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Erm, forgive me for not knowing this, but where can I find your youtube reviews Stef?

Thanks.

Hello....You can find them in the Pen Review section on this forum. Go take a look and enjoy.....

KrazyIvan
September 5th, 2012, 10:08 AM
or you can search for penkino1 on YouTube. :D

caribbean_skye
September 5th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks. Off to check out your reviews Stef.