PDA

View Full Version : 9 Months Later, My Current Collection.

KBeezie
November 19th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Around this time back in February I started collecting fountain pens since my friend Ray got me re-introduced to them (only had one back in Middle School while I lived in Germany).

So this is where I currently stand with my collection. Percentage wise it's mostly American brands, primarily due to it being much more accessible and affordable to obtain (especially vintage wise). And I initially thought I was going to be really into the vintage Sheaffers, some are nice, but I'm not particularly attached.

My preference is leaning mostly towards Japanese pen, I do like the Modern ones, but I have a feeling I like the vintage(-ish) ones more, and early on I thought my preference would be more for heavier pens, and over time as I experimented with more and more sub-100$ pens in both modern and vintage markets, I find myself preferring lighter writers with no real big preference as to height, just mainly the weight and larger grip areas than most of the other pens.

Picture of the collection. (The Platinum does have an original box, as I bought it new, I just can't find the darn thing).

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/collections/nov2014_wide.jpg

The Japanese pens are straight down the center ending at the Taccia, under the Monteverde. The American branded pens are counter clockwise from the Monteverde. The German pens are along the right side under the last remaining Chinese pen at top right (which I'll likely be PIF'ing for cost of shipping as I can't get the thing sold).

American Brands

Counter-Clockwise starting from the Monteverde, ending at the Noodler's.

Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk (original version with wider carbon fiber weaves) w/ F-C 1.9 Music Nib
Bexley Jitterbug! Jukebox Red w/ Steel Bexley 2-tone Fine Nib
Sheaffer Tuckaway Valiant Vac-Fill, Gold-Brown Striated, 14K 2-tone Medium Triumph Nib (~1945-47)
Sheaffer MiLady Balance, Striated Carmine, 14K 2-tone FeatherTouch Extra-Fine nib (~1939-41)
Sheaffer Touchdown Admiral, Evergreen Green, 14K 2-tone FeatherTouch Accounting/Needlepoint nib (1951)
Sheaffer Touchdown Statesman, Persian Blue, 14K 2-tone Fine Nib (1950)
Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral, Burgundy, 14K monotone Fine Nib (~1950s)
Parker 51 Vacumatic, Cordovan Brown, 1/8 14K Gold filled cap, 14K Fine~Medium nib (1948 Q1 body, 1950 nib)
Parker Ellipse (Blue), 18K 2-tone Fine nib (2000-2002)
Black Chased Hard Rubber (~1910-1920), 14K Flexible Nib
Eversharp Skyline Demi, Army/Navy Configuration (Red/White Striated cap, Navy Blue Body/Dome, white faded to green after 70 years), 14K wet Fine Nib (~1940s)
Eversharp Skyline, Burgundy body, Green/Black Striated Cap, 14K Fine~Medium nib. (~1940s)
Noodler's Ahab Flex (Black)

Of this part of the collection, my attachments tend to be towards the Sheaffer Tuckaway Valiant, TD Admiral with the accounting nib, and the Eversharp Skyline Demi. Most of the others I will probably try to trade to diversify the Japanese portion, preferably towards the vintage side.

The Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk was my first Monteverde pen, and it will be my last, I'm not impressed with their quality in terms of the finishes and such as it has severe brassing all over the pen just after a month of babying it, so not very 'stealthy'. Also I don't plan on selling it either because I wouldn't be able to get a good price for it, especially as Goulet Pens dropped the price on them to $75 to sell off the remaining 'bottom shelf' pens thus ending their supply, and most people go by the last selling price as a indication of value. Mainly keeping because it's sort of a unique piece with a little 'wabi sabi', with the wide carbon fiber appearance and very little MV branding (only exists around the cap band). Does have a crack in the top of the nib/feed collar that screws into the brass section, but no issues, as a precaution I put some silicone grease over it before screwing it into the pen, which should hold it firm since the section is brass. It's one of the pens I have that doesn't really dry out, but I don't like it for longer writing sessions, so it's fitted with a 1.9 Franklin-Christoph Music nib. Makes the most sense that way since when am I going to write continuously with a 1.9?

The Parker 51 Vacumatic was an interesting one, as a friend of mine told me before hand, you either love it or you hate it. I don't exactly hate it, but at the same time I'm not really *feeling* the hooded nib. It works great though, and it's one I'd probably lean towards keeping just for the collection sakes, it's a nice color and my only gold-filled pen. Holding 2.0ml of ink is also a nice perk.

I think out of all the ones in this particular group, the Tuckaway and Skyline Demi are tied at being my favorite.

German Brands

Starting down the right, under the Hero.

Faber-Castell BASIC (Leather), Steel Fine Nib
Lamy 2000 (Post-2009), 14K Extra-Fine Nib
Pelikan M250 (1992-1996), 14K monotone Medium Nib
Montblanc 225 (Piston Filling, 1970s), 14K platinum-coated XXF (western) nib

In this group, the Montblanc 225 and Pelikan M250 are my favorite. The M250 wasn't getting much use until I got the nib tuned (required disassembling it from the collar, adjusting the nib, re-seating it, heat setting it, and a blister to get it just right and immediately flowing after uncapping). The Montblanc being my very fine line writer that's great for just about any paper that I don't want to feather or bleed on, while being reliable and not skipping/drying out and being one of the smoothest I have in that line width (maybe it's slicing the paper and I just don't realize it lol). Likewise the M250 is my smoothest pen on the western medium size. Very smooth, very comfortable to use and lightweight.

The Lamy 2000 is decent, though when I got it, it was extremely dry. But just like the Montblanc and Pelikan I obtained it second hand (though original owner claims to have only had it for about 3 weeks). I got the nib tuned just right so now it's a nice smooth writer with good flow. Not too wet, but not dry either. Oddly it also appears to be a finer line than what Nib-Nook shows for the Lamy 2K's EF, as well as what other users seem to echo. Very easy to fill, clean and disassemble. Kind of nice as a pocket pen, but the stainless steel section makes it a little on the front-heavy side, and when the weather is colder the section can be nippy to my fingers. I did also have a Lamy Safari, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Decent but not the most comfortable thing, the Lamy 2K is more my preference of the two.

The BASIC doesn't get much use at all. It's my second BASIC after it was sent to me replacing the first one I had. Which in less than a month cracked right down the section. Apparently the original carbon fiber BASIC I got had a defect of having a skinner barrel which caused it to be too tight for most converters as well as causing stress on the grip. The fine nib (which is the original one on the carbon fiber, since I swapped them before sending the first one back) is one of the smoothest steel fines I've used in that price point. The pen just isn't balanced right, a little back heavy since the grip/section/nib-collar/etc is plastic with most of the weight occurring on the barrel and back, and it's uncomfortable to post. May be decent for short notes, but I have pocket pens for that. It's one of the three I'm currently trying to sell.

Chinese Brand

Only one I have left in this group is the Hero 6062. Haven't tried it much, it was gifted to me by a seller who sold me the Pilot Elite Lady because he knew I liked 'asian' pens. Seems nice enough but I been slowly riding myself of all the Chinese branded pens I have, and this is the last one. I'm also not much of a Golf fan which it's decorated with.

Japanese Brands

Down the center.

Platinum PTL-10000, Burgundy, 18K Medium (got the box for it, just couldn't find it)
Pilot Elite, Black, 18K Posting Nib (March 11th, 1970, Tokyo/Shimura Plant)
Pilot Elite, Black, 18K Soft Fine Nib (March 24th, 1971, Tokyo/Shimura Plant)
Pilot Elite Lady, Taupe Engraved exterior, Coral section, 18K Fine Nib (Post-1985)
Pilot Long Murex, Stainless Steel Integrated "F" Nib (writes like a Japanese XF, October 1978)
Pilot Petit1, Steel Fine Nib

Previously I've had a smaller number of Japanese brands, 2x Pilot Metropolitans, 2x Pilot 78G, Pilot Falcon, 2x Platinum Century 3776, Platinum PTL-5000, Pilot Elite (Korean) w/ Steel EF, Sailor 1911M, Sailor Pocket Pen.

Presently (and most recently) my favorite is the Murex. It's a little on the smaller/skinnier side, but rather comfortable to write with, lightweight, and it's just so attractive to me and likely easier to obtain than a Parker T1. Writes a finer line than most of my pens, about on par with the Montblanc 225 in terms of line width but with a tiny bit more feedback. (only my Touchdown Admiral with the accounting nib would be finer if it flowed a little drier).

Following that would be either of the black Pilot Elites. The 18K Soft fine is a bit on the wet side with some spring to it, going from a starting point of roughly Japanese Fine, to 1.0mm [ruler measured to see 1mm] with no effort to it. Also it's wetness is such that I can hover the page writing quickly not even feeling the paper and it would write without a beat. My only gripe is that the wetness will feather Mead or cheaper paper if I give any pressure at all, fine if I use a feather touch, but I'm not always using a feather touch when I'm quickly jotting down notes.

Not too much to say about the others. The PTL-10,000 is a comfortable writer, and effectively replaces the PTL-5000 I had. Pretty smooth, little on the wet side, not as light as my other pens, but comfortable all around. I just don't want too many inked at once. The Petit1 isn't anything special, but it's been 100% reliable for me, great to put in the back, no fear of handing it to someone who asks and always starts right up for me. And for a pocket pen, it's grip is actually pretty comfortable. Larger than the grip you'd get on a similar sized Kaweco Sport/AL Sport.

Currently Inked

Pilot Murex (Steel Fine [goes down as Jpn EF]) w/ Noodler's Blue Steel
Pilot Elite (18K Soft Fine) w/ Iroshizuku Syo-ro
Pilot Petit1 (Steel Fine) w/ Pilot Blue-Black
Taccia Momenta (Masuyama Needlepoint in between Murex and Petit1) w/ Diamine Syrah
Montblanc 225 (14K Western XXF) w/ Noodler's Black Eel
Pelikan M250 (14K Medium) w/ Noodler's Blue Steel
Nighthawk (Franklin-Christoph 1.9 Music) w/ R&K Salix

If I were to de-ink further for the winter, I'd probably remove the Elite and Petit1 from the rotation, and maybe switch the nib on the Momenta to either the Bexley spare (with plating loss) fine I have adjusted for a nice smooth flow, Goulet EF, or the I.P.G. Medium the pen came with. The Murex, MB225, and M250 would be my top 3 to keep inked.

I had the Sheaffer Tuckaway inked with Black Eel until about yesterday. I'm not certain how the cold will treat a celluloid vac-filling pen (which I plan to keep in the coat pocket if I were using it), but with how hectic it gets getting out the door and into buildings during all this snow I felt it safer to de-ink for now. The Murex, Elite, and Petit1 are my "pocket" pens (shirt/coat. The pants works fine for the Elite and Petit1, but I won't put the Murex there). The Montblanc, Pelikan and Nighthawk can go into my Leather 3-pen case.

Future Goals?

Not a whole heck of a lot planned for the future. Chances are I'll be trading most of the vintage American ones except 2 or 4, in the hopes of diversifying the Japanese collection, or to add something uniquely different that I don't have (like a smaller cursive/crisp italic). The Ahab and Hero are likely going to be donated. The Jitterbug and BASIC are already listed for sale elsewhere. No clue what I want to do with the Lamy 2K, leaning towards the keeper, but would likely use it for brighter/thinner inks (was using Apache Sunset in it). I could sell a chunk, but I feel like I get more unique options in trades, especially with my ability to correct and tune minor issues.

But otherwise I'm having fun with it for sure, especially the photography side of it.

mtnbiker62
November 19th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Very nice! I've been collecting for about the same amount of time, and I'm trying to narrow down my collection to a point that makes sense also. I'm finding that section size is really important to me...much more important that I thought at first, so that's a criteria that I'm using to narrow down the herd. I'm also starting to lose my enthusiasm for the inexpensive Chinese pens, so they will be exiting my collection soon also.

manoeuver
November 19th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Quite a writeup, Mr. Beezie. THanks for taking the time. Hope you continue to enjoy your pens! I wonder what it'll look like in another year...

Bogon07
November 19th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Fascinating collection of pens as are your notes and future plans. How did your ink collection progress along with them ?
Luckily you seem to have avoided expensive Italian pens so far.

VertOlive
November 19th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Love the Pilot Elite Lady with the coral section!

tandaina
November 19th, 2014, 06:26 PM
I saw one of those Pilot Elite Lady corals on eBay and almost bought it just for that. But given the width of the nib I skipped it. ;) Great summary of your experiences. Good way to sort of get a handle on what you like and what you've learned! :)

TheRealScubaSteve
November 19th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Fascinating collection of pens as are your notes and future plans. How did your ink collection progress along with them ?

Yes, I bought a Delta Unica and love it. Now I want a Dolce Vita.

I really like the look of the Taccia.

KBeezie
November 20th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Love the Pilot Elite Lady with the coral section!

It's prettier close up.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pilotelite/lady/capped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pilotelite/lady/uncapped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pilotelite/lady/posted.jpg

The ink progression, not as bad, primarily in part due to having so many samples from friends and Goulet's Ink Drop and so forth.

Many of my bottles of inks are exclusives (either to Goulet or Dromgoole). Actual Bottles I currently have (from 30ml to 90ml) are:

Noodler's Black Eel (90ml) - The first full bottle I purchased and used since near the beginning
Noodler's Blue Steel (90ml + 30ml) - more or less the wetter blue I keep coming back to with some water resistance.
Noodler's Liberty's Elysium (90ml) - one of my brighter waterproof blues, but picky as to what to put it in, dries easily and leaves a bright blue chalky film in exposed areas that dry out.
Noodler's Apache Sunset (90ml) - Great shader, a bit on the thin side so can be overly wet in some nibs, may not 'catch on' correctly to some papers and nib combinations.
Noodler's Pecan (30ml) - A lovely neutral-to-warm brown with very nice shading, runs on the dry side, seems oily as if lubricated, and stains converters/cartridges like crazy with an oily film.
Noodler's Live Oak (30ml) - A dark green I seem to like, almost has an 'iron gall' appearance in how it's not one absolute solid shade throughout. Flows a bit on the wet side, but dries instantly, and waterproof.
Skrip Melon Red (4oz) - Found this dried bottle in a thrift store for 2$, reconstituted the ink with distilled water. Not waterproof at all, but handy for dip nib practice as the bottle has a built in ink well.
Diamine Grey and Saddle Brown (30ml) - neither get much if any use. (latter one was supposed to be Macassar brown, but order was screwed up)
Diamine Imperial Blue (30ml) - Runs a bit on the purple side, doesn't get much use. Was supposed to be Majestic blue bot nordic screwed up on the order and never sent out replacements.
Diamine Syrah (30ml) - of the four I purchased from Nordic (and my last purchase from them), probably the only red I'm drawn it. It stains like crazy, but otherwise decent.
Diamine Eclipse (80ml) - A nice dry-flowing black-to-purple type of ink. I don't really use it much on account of it having no water resistance at all. But on occasion I'll try it out in a pen.
R&K Salix (50ml) - Probably my favorite water-proof blue when I need something dryer running especially in a flexible nib. Lovely shading. Using it currently with a 1.9 Music Nib.
Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo (50ml) - early one from a sample a friend sent me, was one of my favorite subtler blues, now every pen shows it quite the same. Bright in some, dark in others.
Iroshizuku Syo-pro (50ml) - Probably my favorite 'well behaved' green, with a slight minty look to it. Currently using it in my Elite w/ 18K Soft Fine. With wetness it can have a slight blue-green appearance.

The rest are sampler's, which haven't really committed to any pen simply because it would mean I'd need a bottle of it in the long run. For example would like to get Fuyu-syogun as it's nice in a wetter nib for the shading. Though do kind of get a little bit of morbid humor when it comes to Fuyu-syogun.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/nighthawk/fuyusyogun.jpg

The three fuller samples I have of a 'brighter' ink, are Caran d'Ache Hypnotic Turquoise and Electric orange, as well as Private Reserve Spearmint green. I really like the Spearmint, but don't really need it for everyday kind of usage, also I only have a sample vial of it if I were to use it with a stub or something. The CdA inks are bright, but I'm not paying that price for bottles of them. I happened across both because my brother ordered two bottles from Goulet. The orange one had a broken bottle (of which I Was able to salvage about 6 sample vials of it), and he gave me two sample vials of the turquoise, and had goulet send him a new bottle of electric orange.

I took his old bottle of electric orange which was leaking due to serious corrosion of the cap, which I reported to CdA and they sent me a full bottle of electric orange, which I traded off for a full bottle of Blue steel and various blue samples (mostly Akkerman which I Do love but can't find the damn thing, especially Akkerman #5 [Shocking Blue] and #9 [Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo], the #9 is rather similar to Fuyu-syogun but with much more of a blue hue to it). Most of the Electric orange samples except for one, were sent off in pen sales or trades.