PDA

View Full Version : Your current favourite FP worth over $100

Sadiq
November 20th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Hi guys & gals,

I just completed a survey on FPN about fountain pen usage. Most of the results were kinda interesting. One that stood out was that more than 50% of people who completed the survey had a favourite everyday fountain pen worth over $100.

If you are someone who has a favourite fountain pen that's over $100, can you please tell what it is, how much they cost & why you like the pen? (I need to know the one pen that stands out of the crowd)

I know that one doesn't have to fork out tons of cash for a decent fountain pen. I find that sometimes paying more for something doesn't mean it's better than one that costs less. However, I've also come across certain things in life, which if you opted for the cheaper option, the unreliability would outweigh just buying the more expensive item.

So does it hold true that the more expensive fountain pens are better?

migo984
November 20th, 2014, 03:05 AM
I don't think expensive is better, nor do I have a favourite pen; I have a wide, eclectic mix (both modern and vintage) and like to choose between them, depending on my mood. For example, two pens that I currently love using are a Pelikan M250 Amber demonstrator, with a Binderized semi-flexi EF nib, that cost me well over £140 GBP, and an unbranded English vintage lever-fill pen, with a lovely, soft Warranted 14ct nib; a super-little writer, and cost me £12 from Deb at Goodwriters.

Rusty888
November 20th, 2014, 03:58 AM
Out of all the fountain pens I've had and everyone has been over this value besides a Lamy safari.

My favourite is the visconti Wall Street Limited edition.

Why? I love the look, the double reservoir and the nib.

As for the price. U.S. Over 700.

gbryal
November 20th, 2014, 04:58 AM
My favorite is my Edison Hudson in Ruby with F steel nib. It's simple, it's the right size for my hand, the Binderized nib is well-adjusted, I like the color, it's well-supported and uses standard parts, I can buy new nibs for it. It cost $150. I have less expensive pens that write as well or are aesthetically as nice, but I guess I am willing to pay extra for a living product made by a small operation in my own country and support that kind of effort. The videos of Brian's operation are what sold me in the end.

The only other pen I have that cost that much is my Lamy 2000, which I haven't really bonded with yet. My Waterman 94 might be worth over $100, but I didn't buy it. That one would still come in second to the Hudson, since I just use the Hudson more. Next year I plan to buy a Bexley or a Franklin-Christoph, or maybe another Edison, we'll see; most of what I am looking at now are ~150 American pens.

Sadiq
November 20th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Thanx for the replies migo984, rusty888 & gbryal.

Tell me, when paying over $100 & in some cases well over...are these pens awesome writers right out the box? No tinkering needed? Aside from gbryal, I've read countless times of people getting their expensive pen's nibs worked on even before they ink them up. Does this not defeat the purpose of paying a premium?

Just as a side note - my collection is still at 4 pens, nothing fancy. However, I've been contemplating getting a few different cheaper pens over the next year...the survey I did made me think that maybe I should save up & buy 1 more expensive pen.

Sadiq
November 20th, 2014, 05:53 AM
..., and an unbranded English vintage lever-fill pen, with a lovely, soft Warranted 14ct nib; a super-little writer, and cost me £12 from Deb at Goodwriters.

I'm going to have a look at Goodwriter's pens. :) Thanx migo.

Rusty888
November 20th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Personally they don't write better initially, Pilot especially. I bought a custom heritage 92. No good out of the box. Sailor black luster no good. Pilot custom 74 no good. Sailo Sapporo slim. Good.

I don't think the price says anything about how good the nib is initially. I was shocked by how much I loved my visconti straight away.

If you get to test a Mont Blanc they write well out of the box.

I was talking to my partner about this. If you had $1500 to spend on fountain pens what would you do?

For me it's 3 $500 pens or 2 $750 pens. For others here it's 50 $30 pens. For me I like to use all my pens and now I'm building my dream collection. 7 pens total. Each for own reasons. Some people prefer using a pen they haven't inked for months if not years.

That is.
Mb 149 BB
Mn 146 platinum F
Pelikan m805 M
Edison demonstrator F nib
Sailor 1911 realo rhodium

To go with my
Visconti Wall Street limited edition M
Sailor Sapporo slim EF

Will sell my
Custom 74 F
Custom heritage 92 B
1911M with zoom nib

Silverbreeze
November 20th, 2014, 06:21 AM
There is one name I trust the artisan mark of Brian Grey aka Edison Pens Company

I have Viscounti that cost more that are much more fiddly. Never had a nib come loose on an Edison pen

Chrissy
November 20th, 2014, 06:39 AM
[QUOTE=Rusty888;104478]Personally they don't write better initially, Pilot especially. I bought a custom heritage 92. No good out of the box. Pilot custom 74 no good.

I have had exactly the same experience with the same 2 models. How much of a co-incidence is that?

I have a couple of Montblancs and they wrote well straight out of the box. I expect that of the brand though.

I also have a couple of cheap Parker 45's, and Waterman Phileas pens that wrote well out of the box although they weren't new when I received them. The Phileas's write even better now, because they have had their nibs exchanged for L'Etalon gold nibs.

Laura N
November 20th, 2014, 06:40 AM

Tell me, when paying over $100 & in some cases well over...are these pens awesome writers right out the box? No tinkering needed? Aside from gbryal, I've read countless times of people getting their expensive pen's nibs worked on even before they ink them up. Does this not defeat the purpose of paying a premium?

Just as a side note - my collection is still at 4 pens, nothing fancy. However, I've been contemplating getting a few different cheaper pens over the next year...the survey I did made me think that maybe I should save up & buy 1 more expensive pen.

Not all expensive pens are awesome writers out of the box, for every person. Everyone is different, writes differently and likes different things. So whether expensive or cheap, the pen may not suit you right out of the box.

Here's an example: a friend and I traded a few pens, both stubs, I think. My favorite writer he needed to adjust for his hand; the one I wanted to adjust he loved as is.

I think if you ask most people who've been at it a while, and so have the benefit of hindsight, most would tell you that it's probably better to save up and buy one expensive pen than to buy a bunch of cheaper pens. But that assumes that you know exactly what you want. If you don't, then buying and using cheap pens is a learning experience to help you dial in on what you like.

RuiFromUK
November 20th, 2014, 06:45 AM
On my side I have no hesitation: MB 149 LeGrande 90th Anniversary OBB with MB Permanents Grey ink. It must be this one as it is the only pen which has been on my current pens wallet for over 6 monts! :bounce:

KBeezie
November 20th, 2014, 07:01 AM
"worth" over 100$? Or what I paid over 100$ for?

Because I got a few for the first question, but I don't have any for the latter.

Sadiq
November 20th, 2014, 07:12 AM

Because I got a few for the first question, but I don't have any for the latter.

Hi KBeezie :) Are any one of those worth over $100 a favourite?

Sadiq
November 20th, 2014, 07:22 AM
I think if you ask most people who've been at it a while, and so have the benefit of hindsight, most would tell you that it's probably better to save up and buy one expensive pen than to buy a bunch of cheaper pens. But that assumes that you know exactly what you want. If you don't, then buying and using cheap pens is a learning experience to help you dial in on what you like.

That's an interesting point you make Laura. Personally I'm not particularly crazy about owning tons of pens, one pens that performs well constantly will do :) I guess that's a bit much to ask, seeing that everyone wants the perfect pen.

@ Chrissy - my favourite pen currently is a Parker 45. That said, it still gives me a bit of issues now & then, luckily not affecting my opinion about it.

orfew
November 20th, 2014, 07:37 AM
My favourite at the moment is a Montblanc Heritage 1912. It was a great writer out of the box. For myself I would rather have a few pens that I constantly use rather than many that never get inked. I sold 20 MBs at the recent Scriptus pen show in Toronto and could not be happier. ( I still have about 18 MBs left) It was a good feeling that so many excellent pens would soon have a home where they would get used. I have stopped collecting pens for the sake of collecting them. I am just sticking with pens that I really like. This does not mean I will not buy another pen, I just did as a matter of fact, but I am much more choosy than I used to be.

I have tried several different models of cheaper pens (under $100) and have never been satisfied with any of them. It is of course quite possible that I simply have not found the right cheap pen. However, I have found it is not worth my time to bother searching anymore. My expensive pens have never let me down, so at least for now I will stick with them.

KBeezie
November 20th, 2014, 07:42 AM

Hi KBeezie :) Are any one of those worth over $100 a favourite?

Well from a previous thread of mine (ie: 9 months later), my top 5 were listed as (linking pictures so you visual representation of mine):

Pilot Long Murex (October 1978) w/ Stainless Steel Intergrated Fine Nib (writes like an Japanese EF) (http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/murex/full.jpg)
Pelikan M250 (1992-1996) w/ a 14K Medium (http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/M250/uncapped.jpg)
Montblanc 225 (1970s) w/ a Platinum coated 14K XXF (http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/montblanc225/1.jpg)
Pilot Elite (2 of them, March 11th 1970 and March 24th, 1971) with 18K Soft fine and 18K Posting (http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/collections/shorties_oct2014/posted.jpg) (third and 4th from right)
Sheaffer Tucky Valiant Vac-fill (1945-1947) w/ 14K Medium Triumph Nib (http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/sheaffer/tuckaway/gold_striated_valiant/uncapped.jpg)

Of the list above The Murex and Pelikan M250 would be over $100 (Murex anywhere from $150 to $300 depending on which Nation you buy in, and M250 probably around $200-300 depending on nib/condition).
The Montblanc 225 would probably be around $125-140 in excellent condition, closer to $80-100 with some wear. Got mine around $90 shipped from Japan (minus a $15 refund because it wasn't cleaned like the seller said). The Elites and Tucky are definitely under $100, the Elites were $25 and $36 shipped from Japan, the Tucky ran me about $80 to buy on ebay and to fully restore it.

But the first three (Murex, M250, and MB225) are kind of tied at the top there, depending on the trait I'm desiring for the day. But the Murex is probably top of the list not only because it's sleek, a little piece of japanese history and very very fine writing, but because it's also pretty easy to disassemble and clean:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/murex/disassembled.jpg

But you probably noticed that all the pens I listed in the top five are in some way vintage.

The only modern pens I have above a $100 value currently in my collection (I've had others like pair of Platinum Century 3776, and Pilot Vanishing Point), would be Lamy 2000 w/ 14K EF, and the Parker Ellipse (not vintage, but not made anymore, it only lasted from 2000-2002, originally around $150 I think, but can sell for $200+ now). But neither are in my top 5.

The Taccia Momenta (http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/shares/nov2014/momenta_full.jpg) I have was originally an $80-ish pen, but when they do pop up on eBay and such then tend to go for over $100. Not in my top 5, but pretty close. I currently have it fitted with a Masuyama Needlepoint nib.

jar
November 20th, 2014, 07:46 AM

I can't name a favorite pen or even favorite brand but do own a fair number of over $100.00 pens. Probably not hundreds of them but maybe close.

BUT, while I hear constant stories of "pens not working right out of the box" my experience has been just the opposite. That may well be the result of experience though. I've been using fountain pens almost exclusively for over a half century. I understand that each pen will be slightly different and while the pen itself is not that adaptable, I am. I simply change the way I use that pen to suit its characteristics. This has become so ingrained that I do not even think about it; I just pick up a pen I may not have used in decades and within a paragraph or two we mesh like that old best friend where you just pick up a conversation that began 10 years earlier.

Of the hundreds of pens I've accumulated over the years I can remember less than a half dozen that I have felt needed work or adjustment.

So maybe you might enjoy a short gallery of some pens I really really like.

This is an xtra-large size ST Dupont Vertigo. It's probably about a thousand dollar pen today. The lighter is likely about the same relative price.

http://www.fototime.com/0747B2581F58114/medium800.jpg

I like it for several reasons; the attention to detail, the way it caps and uncaps that is actually sensual in both feel and sound and of course the amazing hand done chinese laque work.

Here is a closer look at that, note each color is a series of layers built up by hand and cured between each layer.

http://www.fototime.com/D29302A7538D82F/medium800.jpg

a Montegrappa 80th. Anniversary. They seem to be selling between $1500-3000.00 today.

http://www.fototime.com/36B70F5DD4FDC1C/standard.jpg

Again, beside the fact it's another great writer I love the attention to detail and the low relief carving of the solid Sterling silver.

http://www.fototime.com/8ECD2AE4DBBA99C/standard.jpg

A Sheaffer Jim Gaston Cobalt Blue. There are only about 100 of these so they don't come up very often. The last I saw was selling for about $600.00 IIRC.

http://www.fototime.com/1286EAB016BD99C/medium800.jpg

My tiny Yard-o-Led Viceroy Victorian pocket pen. They seem to be selling for around $400.00 these days.

This is a really little pen but all of the gullioché and repoussé work was done by hand by a master craftsman.

http://www.fototime.com/C53337A176E1CEF/standard.jpg

and with its Big Brother

http://www.fototime.com/A208A139EE48EAA/standard.jpg

I hope you enjoy this tour.

gbryal
November 20th, 2014, 08:23 AM

Because I bought mine from RichardsPens, it was wet-tuned by him like every pen he sells. Production Edisons are dry-tuned by Brian Gray or his employees. Signature Edisons are wet-tuned. Barring some difference in preference and expectations or something getting knocked out in shipping, it should write out of the box.

I have nearly 70 pens now, like I say, only 2 over $100. In my opinion, if you like your pens, and don't see what all the fuss is about, don't buy a $100+ pen just to experience this sublime experience that, when reading forums and reviews, it seems like a certain amount of money can buy. Especially if you can't try pens where you are, don't believe that a certain amount of money will get you a pen that writes better than what you have. Buy a more expensive pen if you have the means and it's what you want.

amk
November 20th, 2014, 08:27 AM
I don't have many pens above that level in my collection, or certainly not that I paid over $100 for.

My standout would be my Lamy 2000s. I have one in particular with a broad, very wet nib, that is I think my favourite pen ever. I love it to bits. It is super comfortable, warm in my hand, holds a whole load of ink, and oh, I love it. I prefer the Makrolon to the more expensive stainless versions (I have both, the limited edition and the currently available 2000M).

Also the Lamy Accent Brilliant - a nice pen with a soft and springy gold nib that surprised me on the upside.

Lamy gives you a gold nib at a comparatively low price point compared to many other manufacturers. And terrific quality (though I hear some nibs don't work out of the box I've never had a problem).

My Edisons have been well worth that money. I'm very pleased with all my Edisons (though I have one nib being tinkered with at the moment, as while it's a good writer it's not a superb one). Currently have a Collier and a Herald on the desk - lovely pens, with the right mix of outrageous acrylic and simple furnishings and style, and also a good size and weight for comfortable writing. But I don't *love* them like I love my Lamy.

gbryal
November 20th, 2014, 08:48 AM

The nice thing about saving up for 1 expensive pen is it will slow you down. Take your time and find a way to try some pens without buying a lot of stuff you can't return or easily sell for near what you paid. You will learn a lot from accumulating (and fixing) cheap pens but you will also end up spending more than the $100 that seems like an obstacle right now. While I caution against trying to buy quality for money, I don't think your plan is a bad one. For me, a few less expensive pens, a vintage pen, and something well-made, modern, and supported would make a good set of pens that should satisfy your needs, if your needs are just about writing and enjoying what you have.

Note that with some expensive pens, you can run into trouble if you aren't looking ahead; expensive pens can have expensive repair or maintenance costs. Some pens need to be sent to their home country for repair and that can take months. Pens that cost several hundred dollars don't necessarily retain their value; inking them is like driving a car off the lot. Some do appreciate. Also, where psychologically you are prepared to smooth the nib on your Hero yourself, you might not be able to talk yourself into it with a Delta, and will end up paying someone, so put that in your calculations.

Kaputnik
November 20th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I don't have a single favorite pen. If I think about which pens I'd put in my "best" group, though, most of them did cost over $100, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Montblanc Noblesse (but that was a used pen so someone might get one for less) Pilot Vanishing Point, Lamy 2000. None cost me less that $90. That's best based on the experience of writing with them. Appearance is not trivial, but it's not the most important factor.

The pens I most regret now are some of the cheaper ones that I got while trying to figure out what I liked. I won't bother with a list, but it includes many of the usual ones which are mentioned when people are giving advice on a good beginner pen. These are pens which are not bad, but they just don't appeal to me since I've tried something better.

On the other hand, I've never hit $200 for a single pen, and plan not to do so. If I can afford, for example, four pens averaging $125, then of course I could have bought a single $500 pen instead. I've already achieved a pretty high level of pen performance with what I've got, however, and spending extra money for any other reason doesn't appeal to me.

snedwos
November 20th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Edison nouveau premiere. The vanishing point should be it but it somehow doesn't quite click for me. (See what I did there?)

gbryal
November 20th, 2014, 11:03 AM
If you are someone who has a favourite fountain pen that's over $100

The way this is worded, you might get responses from those who have a favorite from among their >$100 pens, while their overall favorite might be something else.

Another thing to consider; when you pay a lot for a pen, surely something kicks in where you say, I paid this much and by the gods I will like it...

Laura N
November 20th, 2014, 11:29 AM
If you are someone who has a favourite fountain pen that's over $100
...Another thing to consider; when you pay a lot for a pen, surely something kicks in where you say, I paid this much and by the gods I will like it...

Sadly, no. :)

Sadiq
November 20th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Orfew, KBeezie, Jar, amk - You guys have some awesome pens.

snedwos - lol :)

Kaputnik, gbryal, Laura N - You've given me quite a bit to think about.

Thanx for the replies & the posts with pics. I would still like to know what other geek's favourite +$100 FP's are...keep them coming:)

KBeezie
November 20th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Another thing to consider; when you pay a lot for a pen, surely something kicks in where you say, I paid this much and by the gods I will like it...

Not really, if I don't like something, I don't like something. I'm not shy to say it. Everything is returnable to some extent, and I've never been afraid to say I hated something that I initially had high expectations for.

Some of the people who really force themselves to like something primarily on what they paid for it are the kind of folks who are afraid of being seen as making poor choices or more protective of their status.

VertOlive
November 20th, 2014, 05:42 PM
I'm to where nothing stays in my collection long if I couldn't be marooned on a desert island with it as my only pen; it doesn't seem to have anything to do with price. In that sense, all of my pens are my favorite.

"I would still like to know what other geek's favourite +$100 FP's are"

Edison Pearl--Flecked Tortise/black
Platinum Koi
Delta Dolce Vita
Sheaffer Legacy Fantasy--orange/black
Edison Nouveau Premiere--Cherry Blossom

LagNut
November 20th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Pilot VP

Sailor realo

Parker duofold (30's, 50's, 00's).

Actually, this leaves out pens that are favorites, like vacs and touchdowns.

Current favorite still the realo, but it's a rotating spot.

GING GING
November 20th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Personally they don't write better initially, Pilot especially. I bought a custom heritage 92. No good out of the box. Sailor black luster no good. Pilot custom 74 no good. Sailo Sapporo slim. Good.

I don't think the price says anything about how good the nib is initially. I was shocked by how much I loved my visconti straight away.

If you get to test a Mont Blanc they write well out of the box.

I was talking to my partner about this. If you had $1500 to spend on fountain pens what would you do?

For me it's 3 $500 pens or 2 $750 pens. For others here it's 50 $30 pens. For me I like to use all my pens and now I'm building my dream collection. 7 pens total. Each for own reasons. Some people prefer using a pen they haven't inked for months if not years.

That is.
Mb 149 BB
Mn 146 platinum F
Pelikan m805 M
Edison demonstrator F nib
Sailor 1911 realo rhodium

To go with my
Sailor Sapporo slim EF

Will sell my
Custom 74 F
Custom heritage 92 B
1911M with zoom nib

I like the 1500 dollar question. I'd buy one awesome pen

GING GING
November 20th, 2014, 07:11 PM
While it's true that expensive doesn't always mean better; most of the the time, it does.

KBeezie
November 20th, 2014, 07:14 PM
While it's true that expensive doesn't always mean better; most of the the time, it does.

Not really a question of better, but more a question of personal preference. Since it wasn't what's your best FP, but rather what's your favorite. A pen could be top of it's class in nearly every respect, but might not fit my personal preference.

jar
November 20th, 2014, 07:47 PM
My mothers 1st quarter 1941 Parker "51" with the Sterling cap and aluminum jewels. She would put the cap on her finger and both I (rumor only and since I was the eldest son and so perfect highly unlikely) and my younger post war model brother teethed on it.

http://www.fototime.com/3BCD3F4E5DC49C9/large.jpg

mhosea
November 20th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Many of my favorite pens are vintage pens that actually didn't cost me more than $100 because I restored them myself, but the following pens stand out as pens that did cost me more than $100 and which I ink up and take with me frequently. All of them were bought used except for one of my two Poseidon Magnums (purchased new from Richard Binder a few years back).

Pelikan M800 -- I like it because it seems to fit my hand very well, especially the grip section. It is large in size but not too large like the MB 149 (which feels OK to write with but seems huge in my shirt pocket). The M800 feels solid but is not too heavy.

Montblanc 146 -- I like it because of the classic lines and look, and like the Pelikan, it just feels right in my hand.

Bexley Poseidon Magnum with an 18K nib-- Built like a tank. A bit bigger than the Pelikan and MB 146 (the grip is almost MB 149 size), but very comfortable, and nicely compact when capped.

jde
November 21st, 2014, 06:33 AM
For moi, in no particular order:

Pretty much any Pilot/Namiki pen (the nibs!).

My Edisons.

Danitrio Sho-Hakuku.

My Newton Shinobi.

From the 1913 Webster's Revised Unabridged:

Fa"vor*ite (?), n. [OF. favorit favored, F. favori, fem. favorite, p.p. of OF. favorir, cf. It. favorito, frm. favorita, fr. favorire to favor. See Favor.]

1. A person or thing regarded with peculiar favor; one treated with partiality; one preferred above others; especially, one unduly loved, trusted, and enriched with favors by a person of high rank or authority.

Committing to a wicked favorite All public cares. Milton.
2. pl. Short curls dangling over the temples; -- fashionable in the reign of Charles II. [Obs.] Farquhar.

3. (Sporting) The competitor (as a horse in a race) that is judged most likely to win; the competitor standing highest in the betting.

Sadiq
November 21st, 2014, 07:59 AM

Not really a question of better, but more a question of personal preference. Since it wasn't what's your best FP, but rather what's your favorite. A pen could be top of it's class in nearly every respect, but might not fit my personal preference.

Exactly...I'm looking for the one pen you would choose to use over every other pen (:) your precious that cost +$100...lol)

To go with my
Sailor Sapporo slim EF

The Visconti Wall Streets look very nice...saving for one of these will be quite a while:)

Rusty888
November 21st, 2014, 08:04 AM

Exactly...I'm looking for the one pen you would choose to use over every other pen (:) your precious that cost +$100...lol)

To go with my
Sailor Sapporo slim EF

The Visconti Wall Streets look very nice...saving for one of these will be quite a while:)

You must get the limited edition though with palladium nib 14993

Sadiq
November 21st, 2014, 08:32 AM

Is that the only difference? I think I saw a comparison thread about it somewhere, I must go check it out :)

jar
November 21st, 2014, 08:35 AM
One I'm using today... a Sheaffer Legacy Heritage Sterling silver Barleycorn.

http://www.fototime.com/38CD169C3F7A779/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/6070413BCDCE9E3/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/36015CC36218B4B/large.jpg

GING GING
November 21st, 2014, 10:58 AM

To go with my
Sailor Sapporo slim EF

It was a side statement. If you're not familiar with what a side statement is, then let me know, and I'll be happy to explain it to you. I made that statement because someone else, in their comment mentioned that expensive doesn't always mean better.
Hence, my statement.

Sadiq
November 21st, 2014, 11:36 AM
...It was a side statement. If you're not familiar with what a side statement is, then let me know, and I'll be happy to explain it to you. I made that statement because someone else, in their comment mentioned that expensive doesn't always mean better.
Hence, my statement.

Ok no worries :) sorry if I offended you GING GING.

I respect that everyone has their own opinions, I only explained what I was looking for in my original post...seeing that some people were getting confused by my wording...just happened to quote the whole of KBeezie's post.

Thank you for your input tho...I appreciate everyone's post/posts.

reprieve
November 21st, 2014, 11:44 AM
You must get the limited edition though with palladium nib

Is that the only difference? I think I saw a comparison thread about it somewhere, I must go check it out :)

The LE version of the Wall Street is a double reservoir power filler and has an ink window. The regular edition is a cartridge/converter filler and has no ink window. The regular edition has a metal section. The LE has a celluloid section. Both versions have palladium nibs.

There's a nice review of the standard Wall Street (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2407-Visconti-Wall-Street-Palladium-Nib) by our own drgoretex.

I have the LE version, in red, which I prefer because of the power filler and the celluloid section. But the standard edition is a beautiful pen, too, and the c/c filling system is simpler to clean and easier to maintain.

reprieve
November 21st, 2014, 11:52 AM
To answer the original question, my own favorite $100+ pens are:

Lamy 2000
Lamy Studio with a gold nib
Pelikan 400NN in tortoise
Parker Vacumatic Major in green
Nakaya Naka-ai Writer in kuro-tamenuri
Nakaya Piccolo
Pilot Falcon
Pilot Custom 823
Edison Nouveau Premiere

Okay, I have a lot of favorite pens… :)

Sadiq
November 21st, 2014, 11:58 AM

Lamy 2000
Nakaya Piccolo
Pilot Falcon
Pilot Custom 823
Edison Nouveau Premiere

Does this mean the Lamy 2000 is at the top of the list? :) If not, which one of those pens are?

Also, I'll check out the link you posted, thanx.

reprieve
November 21st, 2014, 12:09 PM

Lamy 2000
Nakaya Piccolo
Pilot Falcon
Pilot Custom 823
Edison Nouveau Premiere

Does this mean the Lamy 2000 is at the top of the list? :) If not, which one of those pens are?

Also, I'll check out the link you posted, thanx.

They're all my favorites, in no particular order. If I had to choose a favorite favorite (ha ha), I'd pick one of the Nakayas without question. But, honestly, the Lamy 2000 is not too far behind--I love the convenience of the snap cap and the minimalist styling and the piston filler--and it's almost always in my daily carry pen case.

Sadiq
November 21st, 2014, 12:22 PM
They're all my favorites, in no particular order. If I had to choose a favorite favorite (ha ha), I'd pick one of the Nakayas without question. But, honestly, the Lamy 2000 is not too far behind--I love the convenience of the snap cap and the minimalist styling and the piston filler--and it's almost always in my daily carry pen case.

I've read a few reviews & some new addition threads of Nakaya pens...what about this one do you like? Is it the lost expensive one of the lot?

GING GING
November 21st, 2014, 01:04 PM
...It was a side statement. If you're not familiar with what a side statement is, then let me know, and I'll be happy to explain it to you. I made that statement because someone else, in their comment mentioned that expensive doesn't always mean better.
Hence, my statement.

Ok no worries :) sorry if I offended you GING GING.

I respect that everyone has their own opinions, I only explained what I was looking for in my original post...seeing that some people were getting confused by my wording...just happened to quote the whole of KBeezie's post.

Thank you for your input tho...I appreciate everyone's post/posts.

Hey Sadiq. It's taken me several minutes to figure out why you thought you offended me. I was replying to Rusty 888 and one of your comments got caught up in the quote. I'm sorry about the confusion. I think you started a great thread, you haven't said anything offensive.

Sadiq
November 21st, 2014, 01:23 PM
Hey Sadiq. It's taken me several minutes to figure out why you thought you offended me. I was replying to Rusty 888 and one of your comments got caught up in the quote. I'm sorry about the confusion. I think you started a great thread, you haven't said anything offensive.

Ok cool...

...now let's get back to these awesome pens :)

Sadiq
November 21st, 2014, 08:39 PM
I like the 1500 dollar question. I'd buy one awesome pen

Hi GING GING, I've read thru some of the other posts & have just realised that you haven't posted your favourite pen...is there perhaps a single pen that stands out of your collection worth over $100? I'm interested to know. Could it be that the one pen you love to use is worth under $100 :)

Waski_the_Squirrel
November 21st, 2014, 10:24 PM
Hi guys & gals,

I just completed a survey on FPN about fountain pen usage. Most of the results were kinda interesting. One that stood out was that more than 50% of people who completed the survey had a favourite everyday fountain pen worth over $100.

If you are someone who has a favourite fountain pen that's over $100, can you please tell what it is, how much they cost & why you like the pen?

I know that one doesn't have to fork out tons of cash for a decent fountain pen. I find that sometimes paying more for something doesn't mean it's better than one that costs less. However, I've also come across certain things in life, which if you opted for the cheaper option, the unreliability would outweigh just buying the more expensive item.

So does it hold true that the more expensive fountain pens are better?

My favorite pen jumps back and forth between a Pilot Custom 823 and a Pilot Justus 95. Of course, a Noodler's Konrad is right up there also, so make of that what you will.

There are perks to expensive pens, but I think that you go get some benefits as you go up in price, but there are diminishing returns with increased price.

Sadiq
November 21st, 2014, 10:42 PM
...My favorite pen jumps back and forth between a Pilot Custom 823 and a Pilot Justus 95. Of course, a Noodler's Konrad is right up there also, so make of that what you will.

There are perks to expensive pens, but I think that you go get some benefits as you go up in price, but there are diminishing returns with increased price.

The Justus, that's the one with the adjustable nib hey...how do you find it compared to other flex pens, I've read some mixed reviews about the way they flex?

Talking about the Noodlers pens...I am still waiting to read reviews on the Neponset music nib pens. I've seen sbrebrown's review, but would like to see what the everyday geek thinks about them (btw another <$100 pen)

manoeuver
November 22nd, 2014, 04:43 AM
me fave's going to be either my new SEF Falcon or my EF Lamy 2000. Damn you Massdrop!

Sadiq
November 22nd, 2014, 07:10 AM
me fave's going to be either my new SEF Falcon or my EF Lamy 2000. Damn you Massdrop!

Hi manoeuvre, does your falcon have the stock nib or have you sent it to a nib meister for some custom work? Do you have any other flex pens to compare it to?

Laura N
November 22nd, 2014, 07:12 AM
...My favorite pen jumps back and forth between a Pilot Custom 823 and a Pilot Justus 95. Of course, a Noodler's Konrad is right up there also, so make of that what you will.

The Justus, that's the one with the adjustable nib hey...how do you find it compared to other flex pens, I've read some mixed reviews about the way they flex?

Talking about the Noodlers pens...I am still waiting to read reviews on the Neponset music nib pens. I've seen sbrebrown's review, but would like to see what the everyday geek thinks about them (btw another <$100 pen)

Here's one review (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/9337-Noodler-s-Neponset-in-Rebellion-Red) I found pretty enlightening.

Waski_the_Squirrel
November 22nd, 2014, 08:20 AM

I like the Justus, but I find the Noodler's Konrad more flexible. That said, The Justus flexes more easily as I write, and how often does one really need to fully flex a pen? I suppose people will say that the Justus is not a flex pen, but it more that adequately serves my needs. I like it a lot.

I actually got one of the Neponsets as a result of the Noodler's ink contest. I probably came in last place, but at least I entered. The pen flexes a bit more than a regular flex nib, and writes a wider line when not flexed. I haven't had an issue with writing with it at all. The thing just works.

However, I won't be buying another one. I just don't find much use for it.

Sadiq
November 22nd, 2014, 08:57 AM
Here's one review (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/9337-Noodler-s-Neponset-in-Rebellion-Red) I found pretty enlightening.

Thank you or the link Laura, will check it out :)

I like the Justus, but I find the Noodler's Konrad more flexible. That said, The Justus flexes more easily as I write, and how often does one really need to fully flex a pen? I suppose people will say that the Justus is not a flex pen, but it more that adequately serves my needs. I like it a lot.

I actually got one of the Neponsets as a result of the Noodler's ink contest. I probably came in last place, but at least I entered. The pen flexes a bit more than a regular flex nib, and writes a wider line when not flexed. I haven't had an issue with writing with it at all. The thing just works.

However, I won't be buying another one. I just don't find much use for it.

I love the nib on the Justus...plus it's a lot cheaper than some other pens mentioned in this thread. Would definitely make the save a shorter one :)

manoeuver
November 22nd, 2014, 09:58 AM

Hi manoeuvre, does your falcon have the stock nib or have you sent it to a nib meister for some custom work? Do you have any other flex pens to compare it to?
I have 2 falcons with stock nibs. They are soft, not really flexy. I sprung one once when I (or someone I lent it to briefly) pushed it too hard.

I'd say the Falcons flex as much or less than Noodler's and FPR flex pens I've owned. For real flex you'll need a customized nib or go vintage. My best flex nib is on a Parkridge I picked up for $33 at a pen show.

KBeezie
November 22nd, 2014, 10:33 AM

I have 2 falcons with stock nibs. They are soft, not really flexy. I sprung one once when I (or someone I lent it to briefly) pushed it too hard.

I'd say the Falcons flex as much or less than Noodler's and FPR flex pens I've owned. For real flex you'll need a customized nib or go vintage. My best flex nib is on a Parkridge I picked up for $33 at a pen show.

I've noticed it seems kind of hard to spring them when you're using the normal writing angle, since the feed hits the paper before you can spring it too much. But if you're one of those people who write near vertical, much easier to spring or damage.

LagNut
November 22nd, 2014, 12:57 PM
I for one really didn't need to hear rave reviews of the Justus and Falcon. I have been able to convince myself there was "nothing to see here. Move along."

Much harder now. Dammit!

GING GING
November 22nd, 2014, 01:26 PM

Out of the pens I have inked up right now I'd have to say the visconti blue typhoon wins in both catogories. The nib is noticeably smoother than the rest of these pens. It also looks the best.

da vinci
November 22nd, 2014, 02:21 PM
I like lots of pens worth in excess of $100 but I don't use them everyday.

So the ones that are or have been in rotation recently, and I really like are:

Pelikan m101 lizard, B nib

Yard o Led Retro Grande, M nib

Sterling Silver Sheaffer Targa, factory stub

Lamy 2k, M nib

MB 144, 1x B nib, 1 x BB nib

jar
November 22nd, 2014, 02:28 PM
'tis the season for cinnamon...

http://www.fototime.com/AD57F8863417085/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/7050C44CE2CBB98/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/82A3133FEECC8EB/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/ED628714B9E2F27/medium800.jpg

shudaizi
November 22nd, 2014, 03:40 PM
I'm somewhat of a broken record since I don't have the massive collection of others on FPG, but my Conid Bulkfiller Streamline Demostrator is my favorite (and most used and most expensive) pen. I have two nibs for it (swapping is a breeze), a titanium fine and a stainless steel stub. Both are smooth and enjoyable though the fine is my choice nearly all the time. The pen is robust, fun to fill, easy to clean and disassemble, and I love the "steampunk" look of the demonstrator with titanium nib / trim.

Sadiq
November 22nd, 2014, 08:58 PM

Out of the pens I have inked up right now I'd have to say the visconti blue typhoon wins in both catogories. The nib is noticeably smoother than the rest of these pens. It also looks the best.

Wow, that's a lot of pens to be used at one time...I wouldn't know which one to use.

Honestly, I haven't really considered Visconti pens up until this thread. Thank you for posting:)

Sadiq
November 22nd, 2014, 09:05 PM
I like lots of pens worth in excess of $100 but I don't use them everyday.

So the ones that are or have been in rotation recently, and I really like are:

Pelikan m101 lizard, B nib

Yard o Led Retro Grande, M nib

Sterling Silver Sheaffer Targa, factory stub

Lamy 2k, M nib

MB 144, 1x B nib, 1 x BB nib

Interesting...you are one of a few to include the Lamy 2000 in your +$100 favourites.

'tis the season for cinnamon...

http://www.fototime.com/AD57F8863417085/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/7050C44CE2CBB98/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/82A3133FEECC8EB/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/ED628714B9E2F27/medium800.jpg

What a beautiful pen! I take it, it's a favourite? :)

I'm somewhat of a broken record since I don't have the massive collection of others on FPG, but my Conid Bulkfiller Streamline Demostrator is my favorite (and most used and most expensive) pen. I have two nibs for it (swapping is a breeze), a titanium fine and a stainless steel stub. Both are smooth and enjoyable though the fine is my choice nearly all the time. The pen is robust, fun to fill, easy to clean and disassemble, and I love the "steampunk" look of the demonstrator with titanium nib / trim.

I haven't ever read any reviews on this brand, doing a google search right now :) thanx.

elderberry
November 22nd, 2014, 11:54 PM
jar, that Montegrappa is beautiful! Almost looks like ebonite.

Current favorite in this category and journalling pen: Nakaya Negoro.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4XEBq9LT6rA/ULpoNm51-AI/AAAAAAAAAY0/F6cMxIs-uwE/s1600/NegoroUncapped2WM.JPG

jar
November 23rd, 2014, 06:35 AM
jar, that Montegrappa is beautiful! Almost looks like ebonite.

It has an interesting history. It was sold to me by one of the better, more reliable pen suppliers as an RHR Classica. Sure looked like one to me but I did not think Montegrappa had used ebonite for pen bodies in almost a century. They do continue using ebonite for feeds and have done amazing bodies in celluloid and wood and silver and resin so I might well have been wrong. When it arrived it felt much like RHR but also kinda like celluloid and when rubbed vigorously smelled like celluloid. Checking with the good folk at Montegrappa confirmed it was celluloid and the color was called cinnamon.

Adhizen
November 23rd, 2014, 05:01 PM
In my daily rotation I have a Lamy 2000 stainless steel, Taccia with a really smooth 18k nib, Lamy Dialogue 3, occasionally my Yard o Led grand viceroy....

Hawk
November 23rd, 2014, 05:26 PM
For our family, modern Pelikan pens are great. My wife also likes Edison pens. I tend to lean somewhat to vintage pens. With respect to vintage, I like all of them that I own. Some don't write as well as some fine tuned pens and are quirky. (I may get a response to fix or have someone fix them so they write properly but, for me that is part of their character since we are not perfect either). In general, Parker 51's are great so is Bexley.
Today, my favorite pens are: Montegrappa Espressione and a 1930's Eversharp. A few days ago: Pelikan M800 Tortise and a green Dixie (made in Libertyville, IL).
If you are looking for advice, and you got a lot of good advice, I would try to narrow down the field to modern or vintage and sample each. Pens, like personalities are different, find ones that feel like they are a part of you.

dannzeman
November 23rd, 2014, 05:29 PM

I haven't ever read any reviews on this brand, doing a google search right now :) thanx.

I've reviewed two of them:
http://fpgeeks.com/2014/04/video-conid-bulkfiller-streamline-fountain-pen-review/

http://fpgeeks.com/2013/04/conid-foutainbel-bulk-filler-fountain-pen-the-awesome-review/

HughC
November 23rd, 2014, 07:14 PM

What's on the desk at present, mainly Sheaffer starting with a Targa, Caran D'Ache Madison, S.Legacy, S.PFM V, S Snorkel (Fern), OS W/E Skyline Executive and OS Wyvern. The Wyvern has a great feel so I guess it's the favorite at the moment.
Regards
Hugh

Sadiq
November 26th, 2014, 01:23 PM
...I've reviewed two of them:
http://fpgeeks.com/2014/04/video-conid-bulkfiller-streamline-fountain-pen-review/

http://fpgeeks.com/2013/04/conid-foutainbel-bulk-filler-fountain-pen-the-awesome-review/

Good reviews dannzeman!

This thread has me researching brands I've never heard of. They're currently out of my price range...but they're definitely amazing pens!

Rusty888
November 26th, 2014, 03:15 PM
...I've reviewed two of them:

Good reviews dannzeman!

This thread has me researching brands I've never heard of. They're currently out of my price range...but they're definitely amazing pens!

I find that people's favourite pen is usually something a little unique or its sentimental. If you looking at getting something inbetween try a certain supplier in Japan. Pilot and sailor are extremely cheap.

And then you come to the question, is the pen worth what I paid or is it worth what it sells for in my country.

Sadiq
November 27th, 2014, 01:15 PM
I just checked the surveymonkey survey I was talking about in my original post...people who's favourite pen is worth over $100 is sitting at 52%.

That given, thought I'd get a better response to this thread... :) ...would really like to know what pens those guys are loving & why?

gbryal
November 27th, 2014, 01:35 PM
I just checked the surveymonkey survey I was talking about in my original post...people who's favourite pen is worth over $100 is sitting at 52%.

That given, thought I'd get a better response to this thread... :) ...would really like to know what pens those guys are loving & why?

The thing is, my > $150 pens aren't that much better, or necessarily better than my cheapest. My Jinhao 159 is very pleasant to write with, moreso with an aftermarket nib, and is every bit as black and cigar shaped as some expensive pens. Yesterday I wrote with my Lamy Al-Star and TWSBI Vac 700 and thought, maybe these are my favorite pens. I just was working on my Waterman 94s and thought, no, these are my favorite pens. One of them cost me more than my Edison, the other cost me nothing. And I got this great little Wyvern from GoodWritersPens that I love. And not too long ago got some Sheaffer Balance from Laura N that write very well indeed and while small, fit just right in my hand. While I am writing with them, they are my favorite pens. My Esterbrooks, when I ink them up and play with the nibs, I think are perfect pens.

So I am not surprised if some people can't choose, or choose a pen under $100. For many of us "favorite" changes with the winds. And many people don't own pens that cost that much in the first place. Maybe you need to ask different questions.

What is your interest in this? Just wondering, or are you doing something for publication?

jar
November 27th, 2014, 02:05 PM

The problem is that some of us have bunches of pens over the $100.00 mark that we love. To pick a "favorite" is kinda like trying to determine your favorite child or favorite pet or favorite food. There is also the problem that many pens worth over $100.00 today were bought when they were $15.00 pens. An example are a couple Sheaffer PFM I bought when stores were nearly giving them away since they didn't sell that well or a Montblanc 149 that I bought when the MSRP was $60.00 IIRC. How do you rank such pens?

Jon Szanto
November 27th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Favorite and best are such incorrect terms for this. There are many pens that I enjoy, for different reasons and uses and situations. Picking one is not only not possible, but makes no sense to me.

rgperedo
November 27th, 2014, 04:00 PM
My collection is smaller than most. I have under 25 pens, so I feel like picking a favorite is much easier.
I have a few pens over $100 but this is my favorite. I love the way it looks and it writes incredibly well. It feels great in the hand and its just the right weight for me.
My Montblanc Meisterstück 146, Fine nib.

http://s18.postimg.org/s9nltjjwp/IMG_1856.jpg

mhosea
November 27th, 2014, 04:33 PM
The personal factors are considerable. Do you like heavy pens or light pens? What size grip section do you like? etc. I find that it helps immensely to sort that out first and then move on to what the options are.

Sadiq
November 27th, 2014, 08:04 PM

The thing is, my > $150 pens aren't that much better, or necessarily better than my cheapest. My Jinhao 159 is very pleasant to write with, moreso with an aftermarket nib, and is every bit as black and cigar shaped as some expensive pens. Yesterday I wrote with my Lamy Al-Star and TWSBI Vac 700 and thought, maybe these are my favorite pens. I just was working on my Waterman 94s and thought, no, these are my favorite pens. One of them cost me more than my Edison, the other cost me nothing. And I got this great little Wyvern from GoodWritersPens that I love. And not too long ago got some Sheaffer Balance from Laura N that write very well indeed and while small, fit just right in my hand. While I am writing with them, they are my favorite pens. My Esterbrooks, when I ink them up and play with the nibs, I think are perfect pens.

So I am not surprised if some people can't choose, or choose a pen under $100. For many of us "favorite" changes with the winds. And many people don't own pens that cost that much in the first place. Maybe you need to ask different questions.

What is your interest in this? Just wondering, or are you doing something for publication?

It's just for interest sake.

Btw, I did not start the survey - (come to think of it I wonder how many people took the survey for the results to show as it did). I'll contact the OP & maybe get some figures. To be continued...

The problem is that some of us have bunches of pens over the $100.00 mark that we love. To pick a "favorite" is kinda like trying to determine your favorite child or favorite pet or favorite food. There is also the problem that many pens worth over $100.00 today were bought when they were $15.00 pens. An example are a couple Sheaffer PFM I bought when stores were nearly giving them away since they didn't sell that well or a Montblanc 149 that I bought when the MSRP was $60.00 IIRC. How do you rank such pens?

Favorite and best are such incorrect terms for this. There are many pens that I enjoy, for different reasons and uses and situations. Picking one is not only not possible, but makes no sense to me.

The personal factors are considerable. Do you like heavy pens or light pens? What size grip section do you like? etc. I find that it helps immensely to sort that out first and then move on to what the options are.

I understand that some people find it hard to choose a single pen. I do realise that there are many variables to consider. I am solely basing my question on a survey I took. It made me wonder...
As I've told gbryal, I'll do some asking over at FPN & report back.

My collection is smaller than most. I have under 25 pens, so I feel like picking a favorite is much easier.
I have a few pens over $100 but this is my favorite. I love the way it looks and it writes incredibly well. It feels great in the hand and its just the right weight for me.
My Montblanc Meisterstück 146, Fine nib.

http://s18.postimg.org/s9nltjjwp/IMG_1856.jpg

Thank you rgperedo for your post. 25 pens are 21 more than mine:) but thanx for choosing one. Awesome pic btw!

tonian
November 28th, 2014, 07:51 AM
My current favorite is my S.T. Dupont Fidelio with a Pendleton Butter-Line Stub. Now writing beautifully! Got it quite a few years ago, before many folks were tinkering with nibs, and although I liked it, it didn't get into my everyday rotation. Now I find that my really nice pens are so much better with a little help from nib meisters like Pendleton.

Jon Szanto
November 28th, 2014, 10:55 AM
I understand that some people find it hard to choose a single pen. I do realise that there are many variables to consider. I am solely basing my question on a survey I took. It made me wonder...

It isn't that I find it hard. I actually disagree with the premise entirely. I believe that anyone who thinks that a person with more than a couple of pens will, without hesitation, be able to pick a favorite doesn't truly understand fountain pens.

mhosea
November 28th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I think the original poll asked about a favorite "everyday" fountain pen. I don't see a link to the poll, but possibly this has been over-interpreted. What I do know is that some folks like to rotate in all (or almost all) of their nice pens for occasional use. I'm one of those. When the collection gets large enough, this makes it impossible to have anything that qualifies as an "everyday" fountain pen, let alone a favorite one. Other folks can have hundreds of pens, but for whatever reason, they only carry one or two specific pens. That makes them "favorite everyday" pens, but even with those folks you still might get a blank stare if you asked what their "favorite overall" pen was, since their reasons for carrying those particular pens and not others may have little to do with liking them better than other pens.

Sadiq
November 28th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I spoke to the OP of the survey on FPN...currently it's been taken by about 152 people & counting...

The survey in question is the "NEW" one. The question which interested me was "what is the price range of the fountain pen you use most", to which 52% of people chose +$100 range as I've said before.

Below is a link to the thread on FPN:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/278284-fp-usage-survey-new/

I understand that there are guys & gals that cannot chooses a favourite between their many many pens...let alone one that is over $100. (Some have posted a handful of their +$100 favourite pens)
For those who can...please post yours :)

Sadiq
November 28th, 2014, 01:27 PM
My current favorite is my S.T. Dupont Fidelio with a Pendleton Butter-Line Stub. Now writing beautifully! Got it quite a few years ago, before many folks were tinkering with nibs, and although I liked it, it didn't get into my everyday rotation. Now I find that my really nice pens are so much better with a little help from nib meisters like Pendleton.

The Fidelio is a beautiful pen! Thanx for your post :)

mhosea
November 28th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I understand that there are guys & gals that cannot chooses a favourite between their many many pens...

It's not about the ability to choose a favorite, rather the desire. At some point a lot of us just stop needing or wanting to pick favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_JCIoifZcg

reprieve
November 28th, 2014, 05:20 PM
I understand that some people find it hard to choose a single pen...

It isn't that I find it hard. I actually disagree with the premise entirely. I believe that anyone who thinks that a person with more than a couple of pens will, without hesitation, be able to pick a favorite doesn't truly understand fountain pens.

I understand that there are guys & gals that cannot chooses a favourite between their many many pens...

It's not about the ability to choose a favorite, rather the desire. At some point a lot of us just stop needing or wanting to pick favorites.

This. If you're a pen person, whether you're a user or a collector, picking favorites just seems silly. Part of the fun is in the variety--in the choices rather than the limitations.

Although I have to say that I do, at times, enjoy the thought experiment. "If you were stranded on a deserted island, which pens and inks and papers…" etc. This kind of inquiry reminds me to appreciate what I already have, and it tempts me to reevaluate my collection.

Sadiq
November 28th, 2014, 08:11 PM

:) Thank you for the little laughter...

Sadiq
November 29th, 2014, 01:40 AM
Guys & Gals, when I started this thread I thought that I asked a question as straight & to the point as possible...there is no marketing or publicity research involved, I'm merely just interested to know as the results of the survey I had taken surprised me - that's all...

To those who can't choose a favourite fountain pen, let alone one in the +$100 range...I respect your choice not to choose.
To those who can (+$100) ...please do post your favourite & tell me why you like it.

I've chatted to the OP of the FPN survey thread once again & I've received some of the brands which people included in their +$100 favourites, see below:

Pilot, Pelikan, Conway Stewart, Franklin Christoph, Scriptorium, Montblanc, Parker/Waterman, Visconti, vintage conklin crescent, Endura, Diplomat, Sailor, Markiaro, Conid, stipula, bexley and Edison Pen Company, Onoto and Sailor.

Crazyorange
November 29th, 2014, 03:21 PM
My favorite pens are the edison pens. I love the fact you can get a pen made to your likes and desires.

ethernautrix
November 29th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Almost of all of my pens are >$100. In rotation currently are Nakayas, a Danitrio, a Montblanc, and an Edison Morgan/Sheaffer Tucky hybrid. I suppose the Pelikan 205 was >$100, especially with the steel Binder italic-stub nib. These are all my favorites - as are the other favorites not currently inked.

Steph
December 1st, 2014, 05:58 PM
Right now, an old style Omas Milord in green with a broad nib.

Mags
December 1st, 2014, 06:33 PM
Favourite is a Targa from my Grandma and my grail pen has been my Opera Master Visconti. Purchased about 2 years ago on sale.

jar
December 1st, 2014, 06:51 PM
Small Aurora 88 Sterling stub nib.

http://www.fototime.com/7990E526E106679/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/5844B198A5DC772/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/68193D2EBDA0905/medium800.jpg

Mags
December 1st, 2014, 07:13 PM
15081 here is a picture. So pretty.

Sadiq
December 2nd, 2014, 04:15 AM
My favorite pens are the edison pens. I love the fact you can get a pen made to your likes and desires.

Nice choice Crazyorange.

Almost of all of my pens are >$100. In rotation currently are Nakayas, a Danitrio, a Montblanc, and an Edison Morgan/Sheaffer Tucky hybrid. I suppose the Pelikan 205 was >$100, especially with the steel Binder italic-stub nib. These are all my favorites - as are the other favorites not currently inked.

You're one of the people that fall into the "2&more +$100 favourite pens" category:)
I guess I get how some people cannot choose. When looking at most of the selection of pens one can purchase & choosing to buy one, it's already so hard to choose.

Right now, an old style Omas Milord in green with a broad nib.

Beautiful pen...I like the black with hi-tech trim.

Small Aurora 88 Sterling stub nib.

http://www.fototime.com/7990E526E106679/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/5844B198A5DC772/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/68193D2EBDA0905/medium800.jpg

Another stunning FP! I probably cannot make you choose either hey jar? :)

Favourite is a Targa from my Grandma and my grail pen has been my Opera Master Visconti. Purchased about 2 years ago on sale.

I think I watched a sbrebrown clip on the Visconti Opera Master...awesome pen!

GING GING
December 2nd, 2014, 06:23 PM

Sadiq, simply asked a question. It's no more difficult than that. Why are complaining about his question, or insisting that his premise is wrong? If you don't like his question or your perceived premise of it, then just don't answer. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration, that way.

reprieve
December 2nd, 2014, 06:31 PM
Sadiq, simply asked a question. It's no more difficult than that. Why are complaining about his question, or insisting that his premise is wrong? If you don't like his question or your perceived premise of it, then just don't answer. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration, that way.

I don't think anyone was complaining about Sadiq's question or about this topic. At least, I certainly hope my posts didn't come across that way. I was merely pointing out that it was impossible for me to choose a single favorite pen. I have a lot of favorites, a whole pen case full of them. I think a few of us who have more than one favorite were merely explaining why we couldn't choose The One. I certainly wasn't criticizing Sadiq or anyone who can choose or has already chosen The One. For what it's worth, I'm enjoying this topic quite a lot.

GING GING
December 2nd, 2014, 06:33 PM

I don't think anyone was complaining about Sadiq's question or about this topic. At least, I certainly hope my posts didn't come across that way. I was merely pointing out that it was impossible for me to choose a single favorite pen. I have a lot of favorites, a whole pen case full of them. I think a few of us who have more than one favorite were merely explaining why we couldn't choose The One. I certainly wasn't criticizing Sadiq or anyone who can choose or has already chosen The One. For what it's worth, I'm enjoying this topic quite a lot.

Reprieve, I wasn't referring to you. Did I accidentally quote you?

reprieve
December 2nd, 2014, 06:41 PM

No, but I was involved in a similar conversation earlier in this thread; I was just clarifying my intentions, and how I read mhosea's post. It's hard to convey tone over the internet, but my response to you was not meant to be defensive or abrasive in any way--I'm merely curious in the topic intellectually. I think it's an interesting question, whether it's possible to find The Perfect Pen.

Jon Szanto
December 2nd, 2014, 06:42 PM

Exactly. Pretty much what a few of us said. Not that hard to follow, really.

No, but since there were a number of us responding to Sadiq's query in essentially the same way, with the same illuminating information, you might have well been speaking to all of us. And, as she said, we weren't complaining, but showing that there were other ways of looking at this that didn't include his/her basic concept.

Sorry this is so hard to track. It shouldn't be.

mhosea
December 2nd, 2014, 06:50 PM

As I recall, you once asked me not to communicate with you. I have respected that request, have I not? Should I take this as a signal that I should now start responding to your posts? Or would you rather that I not? You can't have it both ways.

I was not addressing Sadiq's question, rather the notion that people who balk at choosing a favorite actually have "difficulty" doing so. This may or may not be true for a given person, but the deeper issue, IMHO, is that they would rather not do so, regardless of how easy or hard the exercise would be.

pajaro
December 5th, 2014, 07:13 AM
My favorite pen over $100 is the Montblanc 146. It skips consistently, and the seller couldn't make it work. Every time I pick this pen up I bounce back to ballpoints and my first 51. It keeps me from spending any more money on pens. The waste of money that finally arrested the acquisition debauch.

Sadiq
December 5th, 2014, 08:56 AM
My favorite pen over $100 is the Montblanc 146. It skips consistently, and the seller couldn't make it work. Every time I pick this pen up I bounce back to ballpoints and my first 51. It keeps me from spending any more money on pens. The waste of money that finally arrested the acquisition debauch.

I'm so sorry to hear about your MB146 troubles pajaro.

My favourite is a Parker 45 flighter of the 4 fountain pens I own...neither one worth over $100. I don't think I'd go back to a ballpoint ever, I even find a rollerball terrible after using FPs for +-3yrs now.

Thanx for your post.

discopig
December 5th, 2014, 08:00 PM
As far as modern pens go, I still can't put down my Pilot Metal Falcon. No matter how many pens I buy I always end up going back to it.

Sadiq
December 5th, 2014, 08:22 PM
As far as modern pens go, I still can't put down my Pilot Metal Falcon. No matter how many pens I buy I always end up going back to it.

Do you have a std soft or added flex nib?

jar
December 6th, 2014, 07:03 AM
Today's favorite is my ST Dupont Medici with Diamine Woodland green ink. The design reflects the Duomo, the Basilica of Santa Maria del Fiore (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Fa%C3%A7ade_cath%C3%A9drale_Florence.jpg) in Florence.

http://www.fototime.com/79F2FA362AB379C/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/A15629B987138B0/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/598B523FED7BE60/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/CA333F255D18408/large.jpg

I love how the white Chinese lacquer panels are actually not simply white but like real marble show coloring, individual patterns and veins.

Sadiq
December 6th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Today's favorite is my ST Dupont Medici with Diamine Woodland green ink. The design reflects the Duomo, the Basilica of Santa Maria del Fiore (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Fa%C3%A7ade_cath%C3%A9drale_Florence.jpg) in Florence.

http://www.fototime.com/79F2FA362AB379C/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/A15629B987138B0/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/598B523FED7BE60/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/CA333F255D18408/large.jpg

I love how the white Chinese lacquer panels are actually not simply white but like real marble show coloring, individual patterns and veins.

Wow! What a pen...that's the first time I seen one of those...nice pen jar!

GING GING
December 6th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Now it's a toss up between the Visconti blue typhoon. The Visconti Pininfarina and the Porsche solid 3135

cafinn
December 7th, 2014, 03:17 AM
I am currently using a Platinum 3776 Century Blue Chartres filled with Baystate Blue. I have been wanting to put this ink in this pen for a while now. Blue blue blue...

Flounder
December 7th, 2014, 05:14 AM
It doesn't hold true for me, so far (that the more expensive fountain pens are better). I'm spoiled by old Newhaven nibs.

I have had exactly the same experience with the same 2 models. How much of a co-incidence is that?

My Pilot 92 was a skip-happy mess out of the box too!

Sadiq
December 7th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Now it's a toss up between the Visconti blue typhoon. The Visconti Pininfarina and the Porsche solid 3135

The Pininfarina is a beautiful pen...just like the Pininfarina cars, it's small design changes that make the world of difference...very nice!

I am currently using a Platinum 3776 Century Blue Chartres filled with Baystate Blue. I have been wanting to put this ink in this pen for a while now. Blue blue blue...

Nice pen & ink cafinn.

Austin_Malone
December 18th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Lamy 2000 Fine for sure. Love the shape, nib, weight, and balance. But my other favorite is a TWSBI Classic.

Sadiq
December 19th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Lamy 2000 Fine for sure. Love the shape, nib, weight, and balance. But my other favorite is a TWSBI Classic.

Thanx for your post Austin.

Many people listed the Lamy 2000 as a favourite...seems worth looking into :) I don't particularly like the 2000, but may read some reviews on them.

Faustine
December 19th, 2014, 09:18 AM
My current favorite pen worth over $100 - and the only pen I've spent more than $100 on so far - is the Visconti Van Gogh Portrait in Blue pen. I got it for $200 at the Colorado Pen Show this past October. I wasn't thrilled with the fine nib at first, finding it a little nail-like and expecting a more generous 'fine' line, but it has since really grown on me and turned into a reliable writer. And is very photogenic!

https://pensandart.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/wpid-img_20141114_113034.jpg?w=600&h=600

writingrav
December 19th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I rotate pens all day, everyday. That said, my present favorite is the Omas Ogiva Alba Bourgogne (B). Just barely eking out over the Nakaya. Both well over $100.

Sadiq
December 19th, 2014, 11:47 PM
@chefz - the Van Gogh is a beautiful pen...thanx for the pic.

@writingrav - I recently saw a comparison YouTube clip Brian Goulet did with the Ogiva & 4-5 other pens...needless to say, I drooled all over.

Thank you for sharing guys :)

00Photo
December 21st, 2014, 01:32 AM
Waterman 14. Hands down the awesomest pen on the planet bar none.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7573/16043566096_c1f050648b_b.jpg

Sadiq
December 21st, 2014, 02:09 AM
Waterman 14. Hands down the awesomest pen on the planet bar none.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7573/16043566096_c1f050648b_b.jpg

:) does it flex more than that? Is this a full flex nibbed pen?

...beautiful handwriting by the way!

velo
December 21st, 2014, 02:33 AM
Lamy 2000 Fine for sure. Love the shape, nib, weight, and balance.

I love variety but if I had to choose a current fave it would be this. Mostly because it fits in with my life so well and that's why it's never uninked.

00Photo
December 21st, 2014, 11:29 AM
:) does it flex more than that? Is this a full flex nibbed pen?

...beautiful handwriting by the way!

It is a semi-flex nib, a very smooth and awesome semi-flex nib. It is my go to pen for correspondence.