PDA

View Full Version : OMAS or Visconti?

2ntense
November 20th, 2014, 12:51 AM
I have a few pens already, but I wanted to get a slightly nicer pen (or two). I am most fascinated by OMAS and Visconti at the moment, but I just cannot decide: the celluloid versions of the OMAS (old-style Paragon with either the 18k Bock nibs/14k Extra Flessible or in-house OMAS 14k nibs) and the Visconti Divinas/Opera Elements are the most attractive, but at this time I cannot afford something like those; I still would like to get a pen similar in design and general ergonomics and will use whatever pen or pens I get as daily writers and for longer writing sessions (writing stories, etc).

At the moment, I have several choices of OMAS old-style bow-tie clip Paragons, the Visconti Van Gogh Maxis that were made for Casa della Stilografica (including the purple-ish pen in this (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/111482-visconti-van-gogh-maxi-casa-della-stilografica-special-edition/) FPN thread), a Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age Maxi (this is pushing the budget), or a Visconti Wall Street in the red celluloid (this is also pushing the budget). The smoother the nib, the better, even if it only has a touch of feedback. I do not mind the filling system, although a piston filler would be preferable. I would prefer a springy, responsive nib. I would also prefer a pen with beautiful coloration, but of course the Visconti HS makes up for that (to me) in durability (right?) and ergonomics, which will be very useful for EDC.

If it helps, I already have a Pelikan 120 with an EF nib, a Pelikan M200 with an oblique broad nib, a Faber-Castell e-Motion with a M nib, and a Visconti Van Gogh Vanilla Maxi with one of the old-style 14k Art Nouveau design (M) nibs. The 14k Visconti nib is wonderfully springy and smooth and is definitely semi-flex, so that is why I am interested in the other Van Goghs. At the same time, I wanted to try one of the more flagship pens if possible. Any ideas will be helpful. This is an important decision for me and so I need any help I can get. Thanks very much.

Laura N
November 20th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Honestly, both are fine pen brands, but I think the more expensive the purchase, the more important it is to try the pen or nib first. The only disappointments I've had came from buying pens that other people love. I would figure that if everyone loves [insert brand here], I am sure to love one. But ... not always. Only when I try in person first, do I know. If a Lamy Safari isn't for you, you don't lose much, but if you buy a $600 Omas, and it's not you, that's more serious.

Since you already like the Visconti nib, it sounds like that's the safer choice.

Rusty888
November 20th, 2014, 07:17 AM
I love my Wall Street limited edition. I think the celluloid looks amazing. However Id say diversify.

Omas doesn't entice me however if it does for you Id say go that way

jar
November 20th, 2014, 07:54 AM
I would definitely fall on the OMAS side of those choices but would likely choose another Italian pen in the following order by maker.

Montegrappa
Aurora
Ferrari da Varese
Signum
OMAS

2ntense
November 22nd, 2014, 08:08 PM
I don't mind too much about price, as this is a "gift" for myself before I go off to university in a few years and have no money. :) Unfortunately, though, I am not able to easily try out pens where I live. I appreciate the help so far; I am leaning towards OMAS because I've always wanted an OMAS, as I like the designs, the nibs, and the history of the company. Then again, the Visconti HS has a great design (besides the billboard clip, which I've never liked) and would be useful for durability. Either company is attractive, though, and I know that, in the end, it is my decision.

2ntense
November 23rd, 2014, 04:17 PM
Jar, why would you recommend those other brands over OMAS? I've tried Montegrappa before and I don't really like their designs or their functionality...I know that you have some of the older celluloid versions, though.

jar
November 23rd, 2014, 04:50 PM
Jar, why would you recommend those other brands over OMAS? I've tried Montegrappa before and I don't really like their designs or their functionality...I know that you have some of the older celluloid versions, though.

Simply personal taste but I do have about a dozen or so OMAS pens as well. I do like the designs and materials of the Montegrappa more than my OMAS but interestingly I have lots of celluloid Montegrappas but the vegetal resin OMAS pens.

Aurora pens just plain work, period.

Ferrari da Varese are simply outstanding examples of craftsmanship.

Signum are odd and quirky, kinda like Italian cars.

youstruckgold
November 24th, 2014, 04:58 AM
Omas - no comparison!
Visconti have some beautiful pens - but I find their nib quality of varying standard. Omas celluloids are magic; and some of the older (1990s or so) are both beautiful to use and affordable.

jde
November 24th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Omas - no comparison!
Visconti have some beautiful pens - but I find their nib quality of varying standard. Omas celluloids are magic; and some of the older (1990s or so) are both beautiful to use and affordable.

What he said! And he kinda knows (I've seen so many photos of his great pen collection.)

Cheers.

2ntense
November 25th, 2014, 03:13 AM
Omas - no comparison!

The OMAS Arco Verde/Bronze Arco are my grail pens, but the price holds me back. I'll have to look into the 1990's celluloids. All I have seen of those that were affordable were the normal black resin pens, which are great, but I feel as though I should hold out and be patient. Or maybe I'll have to come to Melbourne and, um, relieve you of the burden of too many good pens.

Simply personal taste but I do have about a dozen or so OMAS pens as well. I do like the designs and materials of the Montegrappa more than my OMAS but interestingly I have lots of celluloid Montegrappas but the vegetal resin OMAS pens.

I see. The older Montegrappas are very pretty. Because I'm a student (and I now live in NZ), I don't have the greatest of choices, especially when it comes to trying out pens and seeing what I like. Are the nibs smooth on the older Montegrappas? How is the weight?

jar
November 25th, 2014, 07:18 AM

I see. The older Montegrappas are very pretty. Because I'm a student (and I now live in NZ), I don't have the greatest of choices, especially when it comes to trying out pens and seeing what I like. Are the nibs smooth on the older Montegrappas? How is the weight?

I have found the nibs on my Montegrappas to be very smooth. Weights of course vary considerably. Here are some boring facts for you to use come sleepless nights.

http://www.fototime.com/E0711A7060523F4/medium800.jpg
More info can be found at Montegrappa History (http://montegrappa-history.com/).

2ntense
November 26th, 2014, 01:54 AM
Wow, thanks, jar.

youstruckgold
November 26th, 2014, 04:16 AM
Happy to entertain you in Melbourne, but the burden is happily my own :)

pentorch
November 27th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Visconti makes some very pretty pens, but after having bought a few, including the Divina with the 23k Pd nib and the Opera with the tubular nib, I bought one vintage Omas 360. After having brought the Omas nibs onto paper, I will not buy another Visconti pen for the writing experience. The Omas nibs are absolutely delightful. Nothing else in my collection comes close when it comes to pure writing experience. This is in comparison to Pelikan, Pilot, Stipula, Lamy, Montblanc, and whatever pen I've owned and/or tried since I got into fountain pens. It doesn't hurt that the celluloid they use is stunning as well.

That said, Visconti makes some very pretty pens. I really like the "squaring the circle" design ethos of the Opera line, and the Divina in blue is possibly the best looking pen in my collection. They also don't write poorly at all! They are smooth nibs, with some decent hand feel. I personally just prefer the Omas nibs and the ridiculously good ebonite feeds their pens use that supply a moderate-to-heavy flow even when pushed for line variation.

Edit: I just caught the last bit about what you owned and what you want to try. I would try an OMAS Paragon vintage Arco Bronze or Arco Verde. I own the Arco Bronze, and let me tell you: it is probably my favorite pen. I would use it every day if it weren't so loud and flashy. The ink capacity is quite good, the nib is simply amazing, and the celluloid is very pretty. The pen is very lightweight as well which I prefer. If you prefer heavier pens, then the new style OMAS paragon would fit the bill. Either way, I highly recommend trying out OMAS. Sure, their pistons might not be as smooth as Pelikan pistons, but nothing else comes close to how the pen bridges your hand and the paper.

HOLE N ONE
December 3rd, 2014, 10:21 PM
I've never used an Oma's but. The visconti pens I have used were wonderful

earthdawn
December 4th, 2014, 12:31 AM
Edit: I just caught the last bit about what you owned and what you want to try. I would try an OMAS Paragon vintage Arco Bronze or Arco Verde. I own the Arco Bronze, and let me tell you: it is probably my favorite pen. I would use it every day if it weren't so loud and flashy. The ink capacity is quite good, the nib is simply amazing, and the celluloid is very pretty. The pen is very lightweight as well which I prefer. If you prefer heavier pens, then the new style OMAS paragon would fit the bill. Either way, I highly recommend trying out OMAS. Sure, their pistons might not be as smooth as Pelikan pistons, but nothing else comes close to how the pen bridges your hand and the paper.

Spot on for sure... The nib on the Omas is just a dream... I too love the feel of the pen. I have large hands and can still use it uncapped for a good period of time. Truly a stunning pen!

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/thevaporcafe/2799FA4C-FC5F-4244-93C6-B9D11AEA314D_zpswar4gnyn.jpg (http://s880.photobucket.com/user/thevaporcafe/media/2799FA4C-FC5F-4244-93C6-B9D11AEA314D_zpswar4gnyn.jpg.html)

barnaby.bumble
December 4th, 2014, 01:41 AM
I'll second (or third) that, except I have the Ogiva Vintage. In "Saft Green," it's not as flashy. Very comfortable to write with, and the nib is some juicy magic.

I'm going to get the Paragon or the Milord in that Arco Bronze material one of these days. Gorgeous.

GING GING
December 4th, 2014, 05:19 PM

I have never heard of Ferrari da Varese. Is that the name of the manufacturer?

2ntense
December 5th, 2014, 02:03 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the helpful comments! I have been reading all through various threads on relevant topics and the diversity of expertise is wonderful; there are so many choices. Earthdawn, that Bronze Arco is gorgeous. I am (slowly) collecting the funds for one of the Bronze Arco or Arco Verde. I shamefully have my eye on a Pelikan M800 Blue Stripe as well...O, why, pen gods?!

igor61
January 13th, 2015, 01:52 PM
I will go:

Omas Aurora and Visconti (in this order)

Please review some italians

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/8135-Please-educate-me-about-Italian-pens?p=93986#post93986

john
January 13th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Among these three brands, Omas is my first choice, especially the Old Omas.

tandaina
January 13th, 2015, 10:07 PM
I own one Visconti and one Omas. I would not buy another Visconti to, I would buy another Omas. the Omas I have probably started as a cheaper pen, but I find the quality better and the writing experience is leagues better. It even has a nice piston instead of the Visconti cart/converter disguised as a piston filler. Go Omas, lovely.

picautomaton
January 14th, 2015, 02:54 AM
I have one Omas pen, a yellow Emotica that I paid the equivalent of $130 from a local auction site. Bought it last January and still in daily rotation. The titanium nib and ebonite feed are simply excellent. This pen makes Quink blue look good which not many pens can. The ebonite feed would be my selling point.

fountainpenkid
January 15th, 2015, 03:19 PM
OMAS pens may be more easy to upkeep. In the case of the old style piston-filling models, entire pen (nib assembly, piston assembly...etc) can often be taken apart without use of tools, both for repair or general maintenance. I have owned a vintage Paragon and a borrowed an older Van Gogh, and they are worlds apart in terms of character and feel. The OMAS had a decidedly vintage feel--very lightweight, delicate, and warm and organic feeling in the hand. The pen sunk away while writing. The Van Gogh felt heavy, metallic, and very much modern by comparison. Visconti is certainly more innovative in their approach, with all sorts of novel differences from other pens, but I think the old style OMAS pens are the better writers' pens, possibly emote more true emotion (that's probably taking it too far). 'Top of the line' used pens from both brands can be found for well under $300.

Chi Town
January 18th, 2015, 01:29 PM
I have about 15 Visconti's and 2 Omas. I like the designs of the Visconti's very much, but like the nibs on my Omas better! Problem is I cannot afford to buy all the Omas that I want due to their expense. so you have to make a call on what your budget is? If it is wide open, I would go with Vintage Omas Paragon, if it is tighter, I would go with a Visconti Rembrandt series pen.

Misfit
February 15th, 2015, 02:57 AM
I only have Visconti and Delta for my Italian made pens. I love my Visconti Homo Sapiens. Have you checked out pentime.com, which redirects to Chatterly Luxuries? Bryant Greer has some very good prices, so check out what a Homo Sapiens costs there. I don't know your budget, but the HS costs less there than many other sites.

2ntense
February 21st, 2015, 12:14 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the continual feedback! It does sound like Visconti emphasises design, while OMAS generally has excellent quality nibs.