PDA

View Full Version : Which of these are Fakes and which one should i buy?

toto211111
November 25th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Hello, i read some of the postings on this forum and since mostly anybody seems to have a better eye for fake Mont Blanc Pens than me, i d like to ask for some humble advice from the members on this forum.

First of all there´ s this red 144, where it s hard to tell from the small pictures.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/131352170489?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Then there´ s this Arturo Toscanini.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/271679764724?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There´s Chopin NR1.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/291300653359?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Chopin NR2.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/231398273596?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As well as this pen.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/281510063519?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And this one.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/371196131774?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And one pretty obvious Chopin fake.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mont-Blanc-Meisterstuck-Fullfederhalter-Hommage-a-Frederic-Chopin-/151486347560?pt=B%C3%BCro_Papier_Schreiben&hash=item23454a3928

I´ m sorry if it´s a lot of possible fakes to discover, i´ m a university student and don´t earn any money so i´ m hoping to get one for as little money as possible on ebay.

tandaina
November 25th, 2014, 04:42 PM
If you are not skilled at picking out fakes from photos (and it can sometimes be hard). Then I'd suggest one of two things:

1. Buy from reputable sellers, say here or on other known Fountain Pen Board where reputation matters and you can trust what you are getting is legit. (I trust the posters I know here, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from one of the active forum members.)
2. Restrict yourself to models that are rarely (or never) faked. Namely piston filling Montblancs, especially the older models (pre 60s). Find a Montblanc 22, 224, 144 (50s era), 244, etc. These antiques are not worth faking (it'd cost as much to fake them as the real things cost), and can be reliably had online.

jar
November 25th, 2014, 05:44 PM
If you are not skilled at picking out fakes from photos (and it can sometimes be hard). Then I'd suggest one of two things:

1. Buy from reputable sellers, say here or on other known Fountain Pen Board where reputation matters and you can trust what you are getting is legit. (I trust the posters I know here, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from one of the active forum members.)
2. Restrict yourself to models that are rarely (or never) faked. Namely piston filling Montblancs, especially the older models (pre 60s). Find a Montblanc 22, 224, 144 (50s era), 244, etc. These antiques are not worth faking (it'd cost as much to fake them as the real things cost), and can be reliably had online.

+1

Let me add: Get to know Montblanc fountain pens by going to shows, dealers, gatherings where you can fondle as many models as possible and learn the details.

manoeuver
November 25th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Why would we comb through all those listings looking for fakes? Get a Jinhao, nobody's faking those.

Laura N
November 25th, 2014, 06:10 PM
I´ m sorry if it´s a lot of possible fakes to discover, i´ m a university student and don´t earn any money so i´ m hoping to get one for as little money as possible on ebay.

How about saving up for now, with the goal of rewarding yourself with a new, genuine Montblanc when you've graduated and have a job?

toto211111
November 25th, 2014, 06:17 PM

How about saving up for now, with the goal of rewarding yourself with a new, genuine Montblanc when you've graduated and have a job?

Maybe because I´ m studying in Luxembourg, here it takes 4 years of university and then 3 more years of internship to become a teacher, so basically you´ re telling me to wait for another 7 years...

I just wanted to know whether or not there are any obvious fakes ( apart from the last one) i could afford something around 100- 150 Euros a new one is at least 4 times the money, spending a 150 Euros on a pen is quite a big sum for someone without money at all and i d´ like not to buy a copycat for that hard earned money...

tandaina
November 25th, 2014, 06:34 PM

Maybe because I´ m studying in Luxembourg, here it takes 4 years of university and then 3 more years of internship to become a teacher, so basically you´ re telling me to wait for another 7 years...

I just wanted to know whether or not there are any obvious fakes ( apart from the last one) i could afford something around 100- 150 Euros a new one is at least 4 times the money, spending a 150 Euros on a pen is quite a big sum for someone without money at all and i d´ like not to buy a copycat for that hard earned money...

Which is why I gave the advice I did, see above.

This is a friendly place full of people who would *love* to help you spend your money on pens, we do it for each other all the time. ;-) But a little etiquette advice. It isn't very polite for the first post you make on a forum be one that asks the members (who don't know you) to comb through bad photos of a ton of pens to save you some money. It's just a little rude.

Especially since, if you spent a few months (not 7 years) reading, learning, and sharing you'd be able to do that work yourself! Listen to members. If you just want a flashy pen to impress those who know that Montblanc means $$$$ then, well get whatever and it doesn't matter if it is fake, it'll still work as a status symbol. (99% of the population won't know or care) If you really want to know about pens and love using them, hang around. Slow down, learn, pretty soon you'll be the one pointing out fakes and flagging them for Ebay to remove. Really, and it'll be a lot more fun that way too!

jar
November 25th, 2014, 07:12 PM
If a deal seems to good to be true...

We were all students at one time but for everything there is a season and student season is not for acquiring expensive stuff.

tinysnail
November 25th, 2014, 09:59 PM
With that budget, you may have to set aside some of those MB dreams aside for now. Either consider some of those great vintage models named by Tandaina above, or look into other brands of fountain pens and see what wonderful things are entirely within your reach.

Chrissy
November 26th, 2014, 04:32 AM
FWIW you do need to know what to look for. On ebay there are people who have written guides about how to spot fake Montblancs so I suggest you read some of them. You need to know every possible detail that should or should not be on the model of pen that you are thinking of buying. So you should also look on the web sites that show authentic pens like Montblanc, Couronne de Comte, Wheelers Luxury Gifts, to check out what you need to be looking for. There are many others, but I just thought of these off the top of my head.

If you are determined to buy on ebay then you should only buy from ebay sellers who have sold lots of authentic pens and have many good feedbacks for doing so. A 145 or Chopin (now Classic) isn't one that I would go searching for as it's very often faked. Something has suggested to you that the last pen is a fake so what did you spot there that makes you believe it is? If you do end up buying one on ebay then at least you can send it to Montblanc to be authenticated. If it isn't then you can get your money back. So there is some security.

toto211111
November 26th, 2014, 09:02 AM
FWIW you do need to know what to look for. On ebay there are people who have written guides about how to spot fake Montblancs so I suggest you read some of them. You need to know every possible detail that should or should not be on the model of pen that you are thinking of buying. So you should also look on the web sites that show authentic pens like Montblanc, Couronne de Comte, Wheelers Luxury Gifts, to check out what you need to be looking for. There are many others, but I just thought of these off the top of my head.

If you are determined to buy on ebay then you should only buy from ebay sellers who have sold lots of authentic pens and have many good feedbacks for doing so. A 145 or Chopin (now Classic) isn't one that I would go searching for as it's very often faked. Something has suggested to you that the last pen is a fake so what did you spot there that makes you believe it is? If you do end up buying one on ebay then at least you can send it to Montblanc to be authenticated. If it isn't then you can get your money back. So there is some security.

I know it´ s fake as the cap doesn´ t match, most other Pens however do not show the typical signs of a copy, the ones where the gold was just plated and it already comes off are excluded already, the Arturo Toscanini one is hard to compare as it doesn´ t have as many indicators as the Chopin (and i don´ t know if it would be worth faking it), i already filtered out those who have too big rings have writte Iridium or a Country on the nib, the ones where the sign isn´ t in the absolute exact spot or where it´s too small or doesn´ t represent the exact motive. I have also contacted one of the ebayers to send me detail pixx and i´ ve contacted Mont Blanc top get the one with the 10 Jahre Vodafone sognature checked by the Serial Number i also looked at Details such as the Country and the Serial Number being engraved on the uppper ring of the cap, the only thing i d like to see is an original chopin in its open state so i can compare converter pixx as it with the closing mechanism inside where most fakes get it wrong, even the good ones.

I know what to look for i´ m quite well informed and i like the chopins design and most of all size the most i only thought maybe somebody on a forum would have a sharper view as for example ring sizes may vary by just 1 millimeter and i couldn´ t tell but a Pro could.

Greetings from Luxembourg

toto211111
November 26th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Here´ s the one i´ m getting the serial number checked on, he updated the pictures as i asked him to, either it´ s a very good fake or it´ s a real one, though i´ m not sure if i can tell the difference between a stamped nib and an engraved one.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/231398273596?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

toto211111
November 26th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Here´ s the one i´ m getting the serial number checked on, he updated the pictures as i asked him to, either it´ s a very good fake or it´ s a real one, though i´ m not sure if i can tell the difference between a stamped nib and an engraved one.

Something about the nib doesn´ t look right, the gold doesn´t begin on the exact spot it should...

toto211111
November 26th, 2014, 10:15 AM
This one is (at least in my humble opinion) a real one, i can´t find a clue why this one should be fake, i contacted Mont Blanc to get the Serial Number tested.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/MONTBLANC-Meisterstueck-Fueller-Classique-145-Chopin-perfekter-Zustand-fuer-Xmas-/291300653359?

mmahany
November 26th, 2014, 02:30 PM
I see you posting a lot of No Reserve Auctions. Do you mind if I ask what your budget is?

The reason I ask is that No Reserve auctions generally yield fair market price. In my opinion, it's rare to score a good deal (below fair price) through an NR auction.

Realize that everyone in this thread is only trying to help. While my advice is completely different, the others who contributed are trying to help you avoid a disappointment.

I was in your shoes not long ago and went the "I'll learn the hard way" style approach. In my case, it has worked out tremendously in my favor, but that took a great deal of time educating myself about not just pens, but how to find deals on pens (there is a difference).

I'm happy to elaborate, but let's start there.

toto211111
November 26th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I see you posting a lot of No Reserve Auctions. Do you mind if I ask what your budget is?

The reason I ask is that No Reserve auctions generally yield fair market price. In my opinion, it's rare to score a good deal (below fair price) through an NR auction.

Realize that everyone in this thread is only trying to help. While my advice is completely different, the others who contributed are trying to help you avoid a disappointment.

I was in your shoes not long ago and went the "I'll learn the hard way" style approach. In my case, it has worked out tremendously in my favor, but that took a great deal of time educating myself about not just pens, but how to find deals on pens (there is a difference).

I'm happy to elaborate, but let's start there.

My Budget is up to 180 Euros absolute max, i know everyone just wants to help but in german Forums all 145s are sold out and they went for around 160 so i wouldn´ t think an auction would go much higher especially since there are a lot of 145s currently on sold so my chances of getting one of the ones i think could be genuine for a fair price are quite good. I simply thought someone on the forum could tell me stuff i don´ t already know about fakes an real ones and how they compare but i guess there´ s only so much you can learn about it an the rest of the story is Luck... this one could be genuine as well, the seller says he´ s 100% sure, it apparently has a registration number and with a bit of fantasy it´ s possible to see the Germany letters on the Cap, the Mon Blanc Meisterstück Pix writing is adequate as well and it even says Pix underneath the thinmetalpiece( i don´t know the name), the nib looks well crafted and the gold to silver outline is well made, i asked for detailed pictures but the new ones aren´ t as good as the one on the ebay site. So far there are 2 Pens which appear to be real, this one:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/281510063519

and this one(though i have to check whether pix is engraved or not):

http://www.ebay.de/itm/291300653359?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Chrissy
November 26th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Actually the Chinese engrave Pix underneath their fake clips all the time. They can make a pen that is an identical copy to the original. Engraving Pix underneath the clip is one of the easiest features to copy.

tandaina
November 26th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Yes, Pix means nothing, and they copy real serial numbers as well. All checking the serial number tells you is it hasn't been reported fake yet. The 145 is faked constantly. I'd stay away from one of those unless you know and trust the seller.

toto211111
November 26th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Yes, Pix means nothing, and they copy real serial numbers as well. All checking the serial number tells you is it hasn't been reported fake yet. The 145 is faked constantly. I'd stay away from one of those unless you know and trust the seller.

According to what i read Pix used to be the safe way but isn´t anymore, but in the german forums people told me that if i actually bought a pen looking right and with every detail in the right spot, chances are it´ s areal one or it´ s a very expensive fake. Members of that Forum actually even considered some copies to be the better writers as they´ re that well made nobody can tell the difference without infra red cams.

The first of the 2 i posted insists he bought them at a specific Store and he´ s willing to risk his reputation on Ebay and i should get it testet if i were to buy it he guarantees it´ s an original and to be honest according to the pictures he sent me an the one pretty conclusive picture on Ebay, i might actually bid for that one. If he´ s selling a non- original although i guaranteed it is an original i might actually get back at him via Ebay if he´ s not honest.

I just spoke to my Girlfriend i might get up to 200 Euros, what would you suggest i should bid at max for that one?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/281510063519?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Of course i´ ll give my Bet bid but in the last second as i´ ve been buying via Ebay vor 8 years now.

tandaina
November 26th, 2014, 06:00 PM
According to what i read Pix used to be the safe way but isn´t anymore, but in the german forums people told me that if i actually bought a pen looking right and with every detail in the right spot, chances are it´ s areal one or it´ s a very expensive fake. Members of that Forum actually even considered some copies to be the better writers as they´ re that well made nobody can tell the difference without infra red cams.

Well if they are so good, then why care if it is fake or not?

If your top price is 180, then don't go to 200. Go with 180. You don't have to buy *this* pen. Never wise on an auction to decide you have to have *this* one even if it goes over the price you are comfortable paying. Eventually you'll find your pen. Honestly I wouldn't spend 200 euros on a 145, I think that's highway robbery, but I don't have a lot of use for modern cart/converter Montblancs, they are, honestly, just trading on the name. (I had a modern, authentic, 144 and sold it in disgust.)

For well UNDER 200 euros you could have yourself a user grade 50s era 144, or 244 for heaven sake. Piston filled, real (without questions), and an all around better writing experience. (The nibs, my gosh the nibs on those pens!) Don't go over your comfort zone price. And on eBay, don't go over the price you'd be willing to lose. (Yes you can probably get your money back in a dispute but it's a hassle and it could take quite a while)

In the end it is your money. So do what you will be comfortable with long term, that's what actually matters. But you keep asking questions that you don't seem to want to hear answers to.

toto211111
November 26th, 2014, 06:59 PM

Well if they are so good, then why care if it is fake or not?

If your top price is 180, then don't go to 200. Go with 180. You don't have to buy *this* pen. Never wise on an auction to decide you have to have *this* one even if it goes over the price you are comfortable paying. Eventually you'll find your pen. Honestly I wouldn't spend 200 euros on a 145, I think that's highway robbery, but I don't have a lot of use for modern cart/converter Montblancs, they are, honestly, just trading on the name. (I had a modern, authentic, 144 and sold it in disgust.)

For well UNDER 200 euros you could have yourself a user grade 50s era 144, or 244 for heaven sake. Piston filled, real (without questions), and an all around better writing experience. (The nibs, my gosh the nibs on those pens!) Don't go over your comfort zone price. And on eBay, don't go over the price you'd be willing to lose. (Yes you can probably get your money back in a dispute but it's a hassle and it could take quite a while)

In the end it is your money. So do what you will be comfortable with long term, that's what actually matters. But you keep asking questions that you don't seem to want to hear answers to.

Thank you for the advice, i think you misinterpreted what i wrote, i wanted to express that my girlriends willing to lend me 20 Euros so i could bid up to 200 Euros and i simply wanted to know if a simple 145 is wort more or less than 200 Euros.

The reason i want a cartridge Pen is simply because i write a lot at university. I simply want a well made pen to write with everyday, if i had time to write in a beatiful manner and actually really savouring the words i write i would go with a piston filled Mont Blanc. ( btw. Here´ s a little real vs fake comparison which i found to be very interesting http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/196811-comparison-of-real-vs-fake-montblanc-pic-heavy/ )

And i do believe you that the older ones are the better writers but as i mentioned piston filled means too much work for somebody using at least 1 cartridge a day.

Nonetheless i appreciate your tips.

tandaina
November 26th, 2014, 07:25 PM
If your purpose is taking notes I'd really recommend looking for a hooded nib pen. They work much better for such stop start writing. Montblanc made a number during the 70s.

Probably the best pen for note-taking though would be a Pilot Vanishing Point. Clicks like a ballpoint, perfect for note-taking.

jar
November 26th, 2014, 08:19 PM
As a student using a pen for taking notes ... Pilot Vanishing Point with Pilot cartridges (they hold more ink than the converters).

If I were making a list of fountain pens yp meet your current needs Montblanc would not even make the first five pages or so.

I'd go with a Parker "45", "75" or "51" or Pilot VP for starters.

piscov
November 27th, 2014, 04:45 AM
I absolutely agree with Tandaina, Vintage are a lot less prone to be faked than modern ones. Having said that almost all the pens you posted on your original post look to be original. To my eyes none jumped an fake alarm, but to prevent any problems when buying online I only buy vintage pens, modern pens I only buy if I see it in my hand.

People here are giving you the correct advices, contact well known sellers and you will have no problems, also consider other brands and pens that are less expensive and will suit you as perfectly has a Montblanc.
A trusted seller knows that is not worth to ruin his/her's reputation in one minute that took a lot long time to build. Even if you have to pay a bit more you will have help if any problem occurs with the pen or if the pen is not what you though it was from the description the seller has made.

If after all this advices you still want a 100% sure original and near mint Montblanc 145 Chopin, let me know as I have one for sale that fits your budget. Sen me a PM

toto211111
November 27th, 2014, 10:00 AM
I went for Piscovs 145, the price was quite fair the state seems near mint judged by by the fotos and the authenticity is apparent . Thanks to everybody for the tips, the reason i didn´t want a Pilot is because it seems too big on the fingertip section and the clip would probably annoy me. I simply need to have a 145 it´ s the right size and i love the styling of the nib.

Now the wait begins and i´ m quite excited about my first quality pen.

tandaina
November 27th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Piscov's pens are amazing, good choice.

piscov
November 27th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Tandaina: Thank you so much for your kind words! This one I can assure Dino it´s 100% Genuine and near Mint.

By the way, did you find the replacement barrel for that Soennecken?

toto211111
November 27th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Piscov's pens are amazing, good choice.

That´s what i was deducing from the pictures and the reason why i agreed to buy it right away for the 1st price he named. The notch on the feeder is in my eyes the most relevant indicator for an original, nobody would show it if he were to sell a fake as it would give away its identity. I´ m anxious to hold it in my hands i´ m a very happy person right now. Thanks again for the good advice.

tandaina
November 27th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Tandaina: Thank you so much for your kind words! This one I can assure Dino it´s 100% Genuine and near Mint.

By the way, did you find the replacement barrel for that Soennecken?

Sadly, no that color and pattern is rare as hens teeth and when I do see one in good shape it is far more $$$$ than I'm willing to pay. But the nib is currently living in a Montblanc 142 barrel/section which fits the cap and nib perfectly, oddly enough. (Nib went in like it was made for it and cap threads are identical.) So the pen is bit of a mutt, but enjoyable to write with, even if it does look odd. ;) (The Montblanc 142 barrel isn't labeled, but it matches the barrel of my 142, section and all exactly. Weight, size, so we're pretty sure of it.)

orfew
November 28th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I went for Piscovs 145, the price was quite fair the state seems near mint judged by by the fotos and the authenticity is apparent . Thanks to everybody for the tips, the reason i didn´t want a Pilot is because it seems too big on the fingertip section and the clip would probably annoy me. I simply need to have a 145 it´ s the right size and i love the styling of the nib.

Now the wait begins and i´ m quite excited about my first quality pen.

As Tandaina has already stated, you have made an excellent choice.