PDA

View Full Version : Noodler's Rome is Burning

manoeuver
July 26th, 2012, 03:33 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m262/timhofmann/romeburning1.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m262/timhofmann/romeburning2.jpg

stay tuned for a sample wot's been rinsed. Waiting for the paper to dry...

Sailor Kenshin
July 26th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Love your thumbnail descriptions. And yes, I think the video 'sold' me---at least for a sample's worth.

goldiesdad
July 26th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I got this ink when it was first released and still on occasion enjoy it ...

manoeuver
July 27th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Love your thumbnail descriptions. And yes, I think the video 'sold' me---at least for a sample's worth.

hey thanks!

here's the rinsed sample, I used a dip pen. there's kind of a yellow halo around the letters. this ink really bleeds and feathers when it's applied generously.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m262/timhofmann/romeburningrinsed.jpg

KrazyIvan
July 28th, 2012, 12:56 PM
This is one ink that does not interest me. The regular color and the rinsed color is just ugly.

manoeuver
July 31st, 2012, 10:09 AM
I'm finding the purple component of this ink is quite tenacious. Flushed the hell out of my Safari and still getting light purple discharge (even after reinking the pen!)

Sailor Kenshin
July 31st, 2012, 10:46 AM
Hmmm, that might put even me off this ink.

manoeuver
July 31st, 2012, 11:08 AM
I wonder what effect diluting it would have. I've got a bit left of my sample, want me to try it?

Sailor Kenshin
July 31st, 2012, 03:06 PM
Go for it. I usually dilute Noodler's anyway.

pelahale
August 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Mr.Tardif has some great inks like Noodler's Walnut, Zhivago, Antietam, Apache Sunset, etc. But this Rome is Burning is a NUISANCE. I wish I never bought it. If only someone would be willing to buy it off me. I feel the same way about Bernanke Black and Bad Green Gator.

manoeuver
August 4th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I've got bad green gator and I'm not thrilled with it. I may try mixing it with some other stuff and see what I get. Otherwise I might break it up into samples and give them away, trade them or sell them for a buck or two each.

What don't you like about Bernanke Black?

Sailor Kenshin
August 4th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I love BGG! And I didn't think I would. It's my check- writing ink, my dilute- to-suit ink, my almost- favorite green ink.

pelahale
August 7th, 2012, 09:53 PM
For me Bernanke Bl is a bleeding rinning feathering disaster on every paper I have.

manoeuver
August 8th, 2012, 07:00 AM
noted. I think I'll see if it's on the ink table at the dc show. thanks for sharing your experience!

Bogon07
August 8th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I'm beginning to like the regular colour of Rome is Burning shown in your review. But the purple component seems a little high maintenance for my liking.

-----------------------------------------

Last night I loaded up the Lamy Nexx M (F) with Rome Burning. It is a weird ink. At first it seemed very similar to Noodler's Golden Brown on a few papers seems to tend more towards a khaki sort of colour. At other times it looks almost like a gold colour. So far it is a rather intreguing colour.
Thanks for pushing me over the edge on this one.

-------------------------------------------
Yesterday at Mrs Bogon's request I loaded Romes Burning into the 1.5 Italic Al-Star with disappointing results. While the colour is nice it is too liquid with the bigger nib and appears to put too much in onto the paper. It also tends to spread at bit, this blurs the edges of your lines and makes it very hard to obtain crisp italics. It really penetrates the paper as well, like a permanent marker.
So not a happy combination.

In my opinion the ink produces very pleasing results with the fine nib but not the largers sizes.

mhphoto
September 12th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I wonder what effect diluting it would have. I've got a bit left of my sample, want me to try it?

I've diluted it 1:1 and the results weren't pretty. I use this ink in a very fine nibbed Indian pen for taking notes and such. I really love it for that.

chaimann
June 22nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
I have one pen that handles this ink beautifully. It is interesting for letter writing, especially on less-than-white paper, and it makes me feel like a rebel when I use it at work. (The pen is a Tenny, indeterminate model, with a medium-ish nib.)

I have a bunch of other pens that have hissy fits if I put Rome Burning in them, and demonstrate their dislike by trying to spit the ink out.

My advice: If you think you might like a funky, golden ink that is safe for envelopes, order a sample, and try it in a lot of different pens before you commit.

AndyLa
July 1st, 2013, 12:03 PM
I too bought a sample of this when it came out for my SO. I just remember it being horrible- finicky, feathering, spread... Just blah.

MyDarnSnakeLegs
August 8th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I'm finding the purple component of this ink is quite tenacious. Flushed the hell out of my Safari and still getting light purple discharge (even after reinking the pen!)

I've still got some of this purple in my Lamy Vista. That purple is serious.

KrazyIvan
August 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Time to pull the feed and go at it with a toothbrush.

Bogon07
August 8th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Time to pull the feed and go at it with a toothbrush.

Or if that is too extreme, simply pull off the nib then flush and clean. Ink seems to remain under the nib of Safari & Al-Stars.

dduran
August 8th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I don't use this ink but I believe the purple part is intended.. It's the bullet-proof part of the ink :)
http://noodlersink.com/general/introducing-noodlers-new-rome-burning/ (Patrician Core according to Nathan)