PDA

View Full Version : Have a happy Thanksgiving...

Sailor Kenshin
November 26th, 2014, 08:44 AM
In advance. To all of you in the U. S!

I'm knee-deep in chopping celery, onion, parsnip, carrots, slicing radishes for the relish tray, cleaning and halving Brussells sprouts, prepping mashed potatoes, creamed peas and onions, and so on.

Good thing the bar cart's all the way in the living room. Oh, wait, I found some cooking brandy....

Of course there will be turkey. And (for the first time) a purchased pie of cherry and peach. Usually I make a pumpkin and a pecan pie.

What are you all having?

penhappy
November 26th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Traditional dinner- turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, brussel sprouts with hollandaise, cranberries and dessert!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Laura N
November 26th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Happy Thanksgiving!

We're having the traditional pies, fixings and turkey, and adding a vegetarian main course. This is the second year I've made the stuffing vegetarian, and I am happy to say this year's is much better. :)

mtnbiker62
November 26th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Springing the inlaws from the care center for the day, and eating traditional dinner at my house. Remember what Lewis C.K. said: "I don't stop eating when I'm full. The meal isn't over when I'm full. It's over when I hate myself."

manoeuver
November 26th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Headed to the in-laws' momentarily. With luck I won't be in a care center by the end of tomorrow. I kid.
I'll gorge on beer and books. Probably have numerous nephew footyprints on my person for a while.

That said I am a supremely blessed and thankful person. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday by far. I'm fully behind the sentiment and I can wish ANYBODY a happy Thanksgiving. If they take offense they're the asshole, not me.

johniem
November 26th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Thanksgiving with son, daughter and all the grandkids. I only provided the turkey, lovely daughter is cooking same. I just show up tomorrow and help eat, not that any of mine need such help. Sharing the feast also with my two great-grandsons, their first Thanksgiving. Ethan was actually around last Thanksgiving but too young to really dig in. Tomorrow he gets his first drumstick - I'll see to it. Trever will get introduced to mashed potatoes and gravy plus whatever else I can sneak to him :). Football with the older boys. One granddson will be absent: he works security at Wally World and the company insists that he work.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

VertOlive
November 26th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Over the river and through the woods to Great Gramma's. We'll have whatever the Assisted Living crew has placed on our trays (but bringing our own coffee!).

Thankful to have her with us another year!

Frank
November 26th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Happy Thanksgiving!

Good Luck if going out for Black Friday!

;-)

Dreck
November 26th, 2014, 10:21 PM
This is always an exciting day for me, as it is one of the 4 to 6 times each year that my wife prepares a meal (& the princess is a good cook!)
We will have turkey, of course, baked potatoes, macaroni and cheese, oyster stuffing, merleton, jambalaya, and sweet potato pie.

This is my other favorite thing about Thanksgiving...
http://youtu.be/rVQqQuOO9yQ

earthdawn
November 26th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Happy Turkey Day everyone ...

Heading to moms for dinner after work... yea I have to work ugh !!!!

Maybe she will allow a little football on the TV

Jon Szanto
November 26th, 2014, 10:48 PM
And another wish, from me to all of you: however you celebrate tomorrow, I wish for the best of days. I also hope we can all take that briefest of moments and reflect on the many good things to be grateful for. Just think: if nothing else, our pens have brought us together!

We do it up twice - in the morning, the first holiday meal with Mom in assisted care, but they are doing very well by her. Then let it settle a bit, drive for a while to other side of family and have a later, multi-family gathering that has the added bonus of food groups from multiple cultures. I may not be ambulatory by the end, but so what? :)

Take care, travel safe, be good to each other.

alc3261
November 27th, 2014, 04:47 AM
Ordinary working day here in the UK. Happy Thanksgiving to all my US friends.

writingrav
November 27th, 2014, 05:01 AM
Hosting all the kids and grandkids plus sundry other relations. Great food, great company, great beer,and Eagles-Cowboys . Go Eagles!

sharmon202
November 27th, 2014, 06:02 AM
This is always an exciting day for me, as it is one of the 4 to 6 times each year that my wife prepares a meal (& the princess is a good cook!)
We will have turkey, of course, baked potatoes, macaroni and cheese, oyster stuffing, merleton, jambalaya, and sweet potato pie.

What, if I might ask, is merleton?

chojo
November 27th, 2014, 07:08 AM
I'm thankful for my new American friends, and a lot more besides, I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Sailor Kenshin
November 27th, 2014, 08:14 AM

I THINK it's some kind of squash....

I'm taking a break as we're right in Phase Two of the Countdown To Guest Arrival. Happy Thanksgiving, one and all.

Dreck
November 27th, 2014, 09:09 AM

Merleton is the Creole name for the chayote (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote), which is a type of vegetable pear. My wife is a N'awlins girl, so this is the name by which I learned about it. In her family, this is a traditional holiday side; generally prepared with sauteed onions, shrimp, and bell peppers. I probably look forward to this dish more than my wife's jambalaya (& she makes some wickedly delicious jambalaya).

sgtstretch
November 27th, 2014, 09:23 AM
First time hosting Thanksgiving at our place, we just bought a house so finally have room for everyone to come. Having a traditional turkey dinner. Hope everyone else has a fantastic dinner!

Quantum Sailor
November 27th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Happy Thanksgiving.

Sailor Kenshin
November 27th, 2014, 09:26 AM

Merleton is the Creole name for the chayote (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote), which is a type of vegetable pear. My wife is a N'awlins girl, so this is the name by which I learned about it. In her family, this is a traditional holiday side; generally prepared with sauteed onions, shrimp, and bell peppers. I probably look forward to this dish more than my wife's jambalaya (& she makes some wickedly delicious jambalaya).

Ooooo, sounds gooood.

Had I known about THIS... (http://www.thekitchn.com/heres-why-you-should-never-throw-out-potato-peelings-tips-from-the-kitchn-212565) I'd have saved my tater peels.

Sailor Kenshin
November 27th, 2014, 09:27 AM
First time hosting Thanksgiving at our place, we just bought a house so finally have room for everyone to come. Having a traditional turkey dinner. Hope everyone else has a fantastic dinner!

Congratulations and good luck!

Dreck
November 27th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Ooooo, sounds gooood.

Had I known about THIS... (http://www.thekitchn.com/heres-why-you-should-never-throw-out-potato-peelings-tips-from-the-kitchn-212565) I'd have saved my tater peels.

Ooooooh!! Nice find! I'm going to have to share that with my younger son. We both love potato skins, and he likes to cook, too

Hawk
November 27th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Sailor Kenshin
November 27th, 2014, 05:23 PM
And now the clean-up begins... ;)

rdcalhoon
November 27th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Cooking done. Now on the road to my brother's wife's brother for the big gathering and dinner. Only two pens in my pocket.

Dreck
November 27th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Only two pens in my pocket.

Now the song "Thrift Shop" is stuck in my head.
Have a good feast, RD.