PDA

View Full Version : Intro from Ottawa

Silverhand
July 28th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Hi folks. Some of you are already familiar with my work from other forums, but for those who aren't, here's a quick intro.

I'm a jeweller and pen maker located in Ottawa, Canada. I've been making pens for 5 years, 3 years full time. I specialize in bespoke silver pens, ornamented with engine turning, enamel and niello.

Below are a few photos of recent pieces I've been working on. If you want to see some of them in person, I'll be in DC in a few weeks time. I'll also be introducing a new limited edition pen in DC. If you are in DC, please stop by and hi.

Rich L
July 28th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Don't I know you?

Welcome!

Cheers,
Rich

Silverhand
July 28th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Hmm, I think we might have met before… you're the guy who specializes in wood pens right? ;)

Rich L
July 28th, 2012, 10:47 PM
What is wood? Just curious.

Maja
July 29th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Lovely fountain pens, Chris! Best of luck with your sales in DC :D
Oh, have you heard of the OFPS (Ottawa Fountain Pen Society)? They are an active club in Ottawa. Official website here: http://ottawafountainpensociety.org/

Silverhand
July 29th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks Maja. Yes I have been an active OFPS member for the past five years. Great group of people.

goldiesdad
July 29th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Welcome .... very nice FP ...

manoeuver
July 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM
lovely pens! Welcome to the forum.

I'll keep an eye out for you in DC.

KrazyIvan
July 29th, 2012, 02:42 PM
That blue pen is just awesome. If you don't mind my asking, what is engine turning? That is the first time I have heard the term. My minds eye sees a big block Chevy v8 powered lathe. :p

Silverhand
July 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Lol, no the engines referred to are antique engraving engines (unlike your Chevy V8, these are hand powered and nice and quite). Engine turning, or guilloché, is a technique of engraving repetitive patterns in metal. This is the same technique used by Faberge and Cartier at the turn of the last century on many of their pieces. You'll also often see it on the cases of pocket watches. I've got a few posts about it on my blog, http://silverhandstudios.com/blog, including some photos of the engines used.

KrazyIvan
July 29th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Ah okay! Thank you for the explanation. :)

Maja
August 1st, 2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks Maja. Yes I have been an active OFPS member for the past five years. Great group of people.

Awesome! I've heard nice things about the club from one of our members, who attended an OFPS meeting a year or so ago :)

drgoretex
August 8th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Beautiful pens - makes me wish I had dropped in on you while I was in Ottawa a couple weeks ago!

Ken

jfsisler
August 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Damn, I want that purple one.....or the blue one....oh hell, I want them all. Why did I have to pick such an expensive and obsessive hobby? Greetings from western MA.

southpaw52
August 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hello and welcome FP Geeks.