PDA

View Full Version : Boxes

writingrav
July 29th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Just wondering : After collecting more pen boxes than could fit in my largest desk drawer I trashed them all. Then I read an article about how much value they add to pen resale. I don't really collect with the intention of selling, but you never know. Have I made a huge blunder?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

manoeuver
July 29th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Life is too short. Toss the boxes, ink your pens and get to writing.

ianmedium
July 29th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I'm not a collector so the boxes ( with a Couple of exceptions) are just there to transport the pen so get thrown away. The only two I have kept are the Limited edition Montegrappa and the Hitchcock.

I have a thought on the fairly recent phenomenon of keeping everything because it may increase value. I wonder if all of us of a certain age who had kept their dinky toy cars immaculate with boxes would find they would be worth what they are now. They are worth more now because people did not Keep the boxes, likewise mint ones are only worth more because the majority were played with.

With this fad of keeping everything pristine and boxed there are going to be a heck of a lot of those mint things in fifty years time making me wonder if something used and loved will be rarer and this more collectible!!

As someone who has a couple of vintage watches they hold far more appeal if they show signs of use or even better, personal engravings.To be it means someone has loved it. The thing was special to them and they used it thus creating a history for it. That to me is part of the joy of old things.

I love that my vintage pens have patina, I often think who was the first owner and the story behind it, makes writing even more pleasurable for me!

So I say throw the boxes away and enjoy the pen and use it for it's intended purpose! I have had a few people shake their heads in disbelief that I use the Hitchcock every day but that is what Mont Blanc intended for it and I can't help but think if Mr Hitchcock were alive and owned one he would do the same!

One thing in pen collecting that I can never get my head round happens with these limited edition Mont Blancs is that people buy them and never even take the plastic wrap off them. To me those people are not pen collectors or enthusiasts but merely investors and the pen is just like a stock trade to them.. I think that is rather sad!

writingrav
July 29th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Agreed!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sailor Kenshin
July 29th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I dunno. I use all my pens, but save boxes. The few times I've sold pens I think it added somewhat to the value. Not a huge amount, but also people probably like having the box.

fountainpenkid
July 29th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I keep my pen boxes. No need to throw them out!

Bogon07
July 29th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I've kept all those Lamy slot boxes so far as the don't take up much space and I use one to carry a Safari to work in.

The other fold open type with space for three pens is useful for holding all those Lamy cartridges.

jor412
July 31st, 2012, 08:52 AM
With this fad of keeping everything pristine and boxed there are going to be a heck of a lot of those mint things in fifty years time making me wonder if something used and loved will be rarer and this more collectible!!

As someone who has a couple of vintage watches they hold far more appeal if they show signs of use or even better, personal engravings.To be it means someone has loved it. The thing was special to them and they used it thus creating a history for it. That to me is part of the joy of old things.

I love that my vintage pens have patina, I often think who was the first owner and the story behind it, makes writing even more pleasurable for me!

This is so well-said. :agree:

Tracy Lee
July 31st, 2012, 06:42 PM
I am with you ianmedium! I keep any paperwork in a zip lock bag, labeled, and toss everything else. The only value in the pens I use now is the way they feel and write. I am glad you use your Hitchcock regularly. I have expensive pens that I, too, tote around and use everyday and it makes me happy. :) - ink those babies up and get to writing. Boxes shmoxes. ;)

fountainpenkid
August 1st, 2012, 09:33 AM
I agree, almost. I think that wear and tear on vintage pen adds to the fun, but I take no interest in personal engravings. I would have no problem bringing a Omas Arco to school if I had one, but I think I would keep the box, so that I could remember the day I first got it...

Will

KrazyIvan
August 1st, 2012, 10:14 AM
I think on vintage pens, a vintage box is nice to have just for the complete history. I will not make a buying decision on the box or absence of it. I do keep my boxes on hand but I do that with a lot of things, not just pens. I throw the boxes out or reuse them when the warranty is over.

Okami
August 2nd, 2012, 10:15 PM
I save my boxes. I put them in a big box and then store them in the top of my closet.

snedwos
August 3rd, 2012, 02:42 AM
So far I only have one pen with a box, which I keep. I expect I will keep all my boxes, or at least if they're nice. But the idea that someone would buy a pen with no intention of ever writing with it makes me need to sit down for a second. The thought of my aunt and uncle and the MBs they were given for their wedding always sitting in a cabinet, never to be used...

Bogon, do you have any non-Lamys yet?

peterpen53
August 3rd, 2012, 03:18 AM
I'm not a collector so the boxes ( with a Couple of exceptions) are just there to transport the pen so get thrown away. The only two I have kept are the Limited edition Montegrappa and the Hitchcock.

I have a thought on the fairly recent phenomenon of keeping everything because it may increase value. I wonder if all of us of a certain age who had kept their dinky toy cars immaculate with boxes would find they would be worth what they are now. They are worth more now because people did not Keep the boxes, likewise mint ones are only worth more because the majority were played with.

So I say throw the boxes away and enjoy the pen and use it for it's intended purpose! I have had a few people shake their heads in disbelief that I use the Hitchcock every day but that is what Mont Blanc intended for it and I can't help but think if Mr Hitchcock were alive and owned one he would do the same!

One thing in pen collecting that I can never get my head round happens with these limited edition Mont Blancs is that people buy them and never even take the plastic wrap off them. To me those people are not pen collectors or enthusiasts but merely investors and the pen is just like a stock trade to them.. I think that is rather sad!

I agree with most you say, Ian, especially using your Hitchcock on a daily basis. Like you I buy pens because I like to use them, if only at home as with some special ones, and not to have them sit in their boxes forever. However, the market rules as they say, and having ventured into the field of MB Writers' Editions, I just accept it as a fact of life that should I wish to sell any of those at a given time, having well cared for boxes and papers to accompany them will fetch a better price (and I don't consider a pen an investment) than 'just' the pen. In that case I'm not willing to let that better price escape me since the difference can be substantial, so I let these boxes take up space in one of my closets. And since I'm currently trying to sell a 3-pen WE set that did not fit me, I'm now glad I do.

inkypinky
September 17th, 2012, 02:21 AM

Absolutely agree with everything said here, esp the difference between collectors/users/investors. However, I do keep some boxes. I know many people prefer to get a pen "complete" as it makes it feel more brand new to them,especially if it costs quite a bit. So, my rule tends to be that I'll keep the box if the pen is over $100. I keep it for a year. If, during that time, the pen and I have become inseparabl,e the box goes in the dustbin. If I haven't inked it up for months, I'll ask myself if I really need it or should I sell it on and buy something different with the proceeds. This way, I fund my 'habit' relatively guilt-free!

manoeuver
September 20th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Absolutely agree with everything said here, esp the difference between collectors/users/investors. However, I do keep some boxes. I know many people prefer to get a pen "complete" as it makes it feel more brand new to them,especially if it costs quite a bit. So, my rule tends to be that I'll keep the box if the pen is over $100. I keep it for a year. If, during that time, the pen and I have become inseparabl,e the box goes in the dustbin. If I haven't inked it up for months, I'll ask myself if I really need it or should I sell it on and buy something different with the proceeds. This way, I fund my 'habit' relatively guilt-free!that is an excellent approach.

writingrav
September 21st, 2012, 04:46 AM
that is an excellent approach.

Agreed, but too late. I've thrown most of mine away. But good advice going forward.

JustDaveyB
September 21st, 2012, 05:01 AM
I keep all the boxes but rarely ever look at them again.

As a buyer whether the pen has box and papers make no difference to me.

brando090
September 22nd, 2012, 07:05 PM
I keep the boxes, what was the article you read on the resale value of the addition of the box? Id like to read it...

Saintpaulia
September 22nd, 2012, 11:30 PM
Just wondering : After collecting more pen boxes than could fit in my largest desk drawer I trashed them all. Then I read an article about how much value they add to pen resale. I don't really collect with the intention of selling, but you never know. Have I made a huge blunder?

In one word: Yes. I never throw away things like that. Sometimes I don't know why but then later I find out why.

Sailor Kenshin
September 23rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
I'm uncertain whether a box adds to the value of a mid-level pen but it looks nice for the new owner AND adds a layer of damage protection for shipping.

Rich L
September 23rd, 2012, 06:47 PM

Interesting opinion and perspective.

I'm a collector, maker, user, and sometimes a reseller of what I've acquired as a collector. I have too many to use all of them on any reasonable basis. When I resell does that make me an investor? Maybe. I keep all the boxes because, to me, they are part of the "unit" and part of the collection. Some of the boxes are ordinary and some are just remarkable. Each goes with a pen. Some pens that I've acquired I've never used but I like having them to look at if nothing else because they are works of functional art. I don't think it's sad at all - I am enthusiastic about every pen I own. I do not have to ink it and write with it to love it. I enjoy my collection whether or not one gets resold. At some point in my life it is likely that my entire collection will be sold. Does that make me a purposeful investor with no other interest in the "things" I'm selling. Maybe in some eyes, but I think not.

I take no umbrage at the statement but I certainly disagree with it.

Cheers,
Rich

snedwos
September 23rd, 2012, 07:47 PM
I don't think the statement really applies to you, since you collect pens for your own amusement, not as a piece of speculation. Though I do admit that I find it difficult to understand that one would own a pen and never ever ink it up at least once, just to give it a spin, if you're getting joy from your pens in some other way, then it really can't be considered sad at all.

It's the buying pens just for the sake of selling them once they appreciate, necessarily preventing someone who would get real joy and use out of it from acquiring it at a "reasonable" price that I find very sad, and even a bit immoral.

KrazyIvan
September 24th, 2012, 09:23 AM
I kept a bunch of boxes that some Chinese pens came in and I am finding them useful for shipping pens that I received without a box. :D