PDA

View Full Version : Vanishing Point Nib Units (What's the secret?)

tandaina
November 29th, 2014, 11:18 AM
OK. This is driving me nuts. I know we've had discussions that 14k vs 18k vanishing point units are different and aren't necessarily interchangeable.

But I've got 2 18k nib units. Here's the setup:

Pilot Decimo Vanishing Point (Pink Champagne if it matters). Came with a M 18k nib unit.

I ordered an 18k nib unit from the Binders (cursive italic, oblique). It arrived today and... It doesn't work. Their information says the nib unit fits all VP Decimo pens, but it simply doesn't work. It *looks* identical to my current nib unit. I've compared diameter, length, everything. There is *no* visible difference. And yet, with the new nib unit the spring simply doesn't work. It feels like it's too small and is slipping into the spring instead of resting against it. But again, it's the same diameter, length, etc as my existing nib unit so how does *that* happen?

I'm guessing it has to go back, apparently these nib units aren't actually interchangeable, even within the same line of VPs? I'm confused. How can a Decimo 18k nib unit not fit a Decimo 18k pen????

tandaina
November 29th, 2014, 02:08 PM
OK, I fixed this, in case anyone else runs into the issue here's what it was and how to fix it.

Take a close look at the Vp unit and you'll see the guide. It's a raised metal rectangle on the nib unit that goes into a slot in the body and makes sure the nib is oriented properly to exit the front opening.

My original nib unit had a perfectly formed guide the new one looked like this:

See that lump? How the surface isn't smooth? That was a lump of metal and it scraped, catching inside the pen and making it not work properly with the spring. I have no idea how it got past Mr. Binder's tests unless he uses a regular VP body and it has just a hair more room in that spot than the Decimo. I took an emory board to it, filed it down so while you can still see the outline of the metal blob it no longer sticks up... And presto, works like a charm.

So there ya go. A quality control issue at Pilot but one that was easily fixed once I realized what was happening. Whew!

reprieve
November 29th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I'm glad you figured it out.

I've had a Decimo (now sold) and still have a Fermo and a few regular VPs--I've swapped nib units in and out between them and have a couple of the specialty nibs from Binder and have never had any issues. The nib units all fit in the different pens and appear to be identical. So I was really puzzled. I'm glad Pilot didn't change their design or anything.

Now that the problem is solved… how do you like the oblique italic nib? I've been curious about that one. I like my vintage obliques a lot, but I can't decide if the clip placement would be weird with an oblique VP nib. Is it comfortable to hold slightly rotated? How sharp is the italic cut?

tandaina
November 29th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Mr. Binder's cursive italics are very pleasant. I haven't used his "sharp" or "crisp" italics, but I find the cursives to be lovely and soft. (However I *like* my italics crisp so I'm guessing someone who isn't used to italic nibs, who uses mostly stubs would find it unforgiving).

I use obliques because I rotate my pens. So I always order obliques, just habit now. However (you knew there was a however), I've realized the clip on the VP actually keeps me from rotating my hand, it actually *forces* me to write the way most people write. So I umm, don't need an oblique with the VP. Doh.

However, I'm still finding it usable with the oblique cut. But definitely not necessary and if I'd thought about it I'd have gone for a straight italic just because of the clip and how it changes my grip.

(And yes I'm sooo relieved that it was just a quality issue and I can indeed keep amassing more nibs and bodies and swapping them!) ;)

LagNut
November 29th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks much for this. One of my daughters likes the thinner Decimo, and this is useful for when they are snagging a nib from me.

Let me know how the nib works for you. I just got a .7mm CI which I am trying out. I'm not an italic fiend, so I am still getting used to it, and the sweet spot is not as big as my other nibs. If I can get it under control I'll be doing our Christmas cards with it.

At any rate, thanks for the tip. It will come in handy.

Mike