PDA

View Full Version : Doc Brown reviews a pen I sent him

KrazyIvan
July 29th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I was flattered when I received a PM from Dr. Brown today with a link to a review he did on a pen I sent him. It is of the Kaigelu 316 and it is ground to a stub. I must admit that maybe I ground it for writing at a slightly lower angle than he is used to based on his comments. It was basically a stab in the dark and not something I consulted him on beforehand. I just used comments he made in his videos and trying to see how he holds a pen in his videos. I still have lots to learn. :) It is nice to get a second opinion though. Up until now, there is only one other person that has tried one of my grinds and he said he liked it.

http://youtu.be/x_tdq4WQf8c

manoeuver
July 29th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Great Scott!!

ianmedium
July 29th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Excellent KI, I really love the line variation you have created by stubbing the nib, i am not sure you have lots to learn though as looking at the writing sample it looks remarkably like my vintage stub Duofold nib and higher praise I could not give. You obviously have a talent as a nibmeister sir!

fountainpenkid
July 29th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Nice!

Bogon07
July 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Well done KI. You've been perfecting you nib grinding skills for a while now. Another title to add to you signature. :)

KrazyIvan
July 29th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Thank you. I don't consider myself a nibmiester. I think I need many more hours of practice before I could become comfortable with swinging the nibmiester bat around. How about Krazy grinding nibthusiast? :D

writingrav
July 29th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Well done KI. I saw the video and it was great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

KrazyIvan
July 29th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Thank you writingrav.

melissa59
July 30th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Oooh, how fun! Not only did he he say your name about 10 times he wrote it a couple times, too.

BTW ... I think it was REALLY cool of him to give you that wonderful note with his autograph. And I think it's totally way cool for you to send him that pen. I am constantly amazed at the generosity and thoughtfulness among fountain pen owners.

May THE FORCE be with you.

Maja
August 1st, 2012, 07:19 PM
Nice job, KI! :applause:
I saw the video as soon as it was uploaded to YouTube (I subscribe to Stephen's channel). Too bad he wasn't able to get a good closeup of the writing sample, so we could see the line variation produced by your stubbed nib..... A few people commented on that afterwards, so I hope Stephen does a follow-up video on it ...

KrazyIvan
August 1st, 2012, 08:14 PM
Thank you Maja. I still have my test pages from the grind somewhere here. I think.

goldiesdad
August 2nd, 2012, 08:11 AM
You stud you ... Congrats and from Mr. Brown himself ...

KrazyIvan
August 2nd, 2012, 08:27 AM
mmmmkay. Thank you? :p

FP_GaF
August 3rd, 2012, 01:49 AM
Strong the force is in this one...

Nice job KI.

FP_GaF
August 3rd, 2012, 01:52 AM
Or is it "the Flow"?

What is it that gives a Sith Lord Nibmeister the power???

KrazyIvan
August 3rd, 2012, 08:16 AM
It is both. :crazy_pilot:

Freddy
August 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
Just saw the review as I am considering this pen for purchase. Beautifully done, KI. :thumb:

KrazyIvan
August 3rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
Thank you Freddy. It is a good pen for simple grinds because of the way it comes out of the box. When I first saw the nib I thought it had been ground already because the top of the nib (out facing portion of the nib) was already flat albeit a little chunky. It gives an aesthetically pleasing look to the nib. It also helps guiding your top cut if that makes sense.

caribbean_skye
September 4th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Heh KI, I haven't watched the video yet (watched about 12 of his vids yesterday so I'm a little Doc'd out) but I will say I was in the chat section on the FPGeeks Podcast when he said he'd received two pens, this one from you. I made a note of that one, I think I even asked you how to spell that and the next thing I know I'm bidding on one from eBay. Thanks KI, loving the pen!

KrazyIvan
September 4th, 2012, 10:12 PM
That is nice to hear. What color did you get?

caribbean_skye
September 5th, 2012, 10:15 AM
That is nice to hear. What color did you get?

White Veined.

KrazyIvan
September 5th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Nice choice. I was looking at maybe getting one in that color. Maybe later, much later. :D

caribbean_skye
September 5th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Nice choice. I was looking at maybe getting one in that color. Maybe later, much later. :D

I love the look of this pen and the fact that it writes so well, huge bonus. I need to stay away from this boards as I've already bought myself my birthday and christmas presents already (no, I'm not going to start on next years christmas and birthday presents) but there's so many drool worthy pens I want to play with/purchase. The wish list will just have to suffice for now I suppose.

KrazyIvan
September 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I believe this requires an obligatory:

Feel the power of the dark side!

comment. :D

markt
September 5th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I need to quit watching and reading. I just pulled the trigger on one of these after watching the video and looking at a bunch of nice photos. Will have to see how long it takes to get here. Not sure if I will try nib work, but at that price point who knows.