PDA

View Full Version : New ultra fine Preppies-leaking

sharmon202
December 2nd, 2014, 10:51 AM
Wondering if anyone else has a problem with the new finer Preppie? I have inked two so far and both have this problem. Hard to describe...There is a white band between the nob and feed, Ink is past feed into this cavity holding nib. It is liquid, I can see ink moving in it, not drying out but is leaking some into cap and I did have one burp droplet of ink come out so far. It is ink in between the nib holding part and the barrel. Sorry, not great with pictures and do not have time this week.

Not normally and early adopter but did in this case, mistake maybe. I do like the line it lays down though.

ainterne
December 3rd, 2014, 04:13 PM
I saw you didn't get a response so perhaps I can help, even if just to put a pic here to help others that do have one..

I thought it would be easier with a pic, so you can say which number is where the problem is?

I did also see this..
◆SLIP & SEAL MECHANISM It has normally been thought difficult to make an airtight pen with a screw-type cap. If not sealed tightly, the following problems can result:

Ink drying out due to moisture evaporation.

Problems with dried ink if the pen is not used for three to six months.

It can be necessary to clean the pen using our Ink Cleaner Kit (http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/products/spare/ink/eink.html#ICL-1200) or even to repair or replace the nib itself if the damage due to dried ink is too severe.

At the request of customers, we at Platinum Pen Company have gone back to the basics to deal with this problem. This is the first fountain pen which has our unique “Slip & Seal” structure in a pen with a screw-type cap. Thanks to this innovation, currently being patented, it is possible to have a screw-type cap with complete airtightness.

Where is the issue....1 2 3?

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15100&stc=1

picautomaton
December 3rd, 2014, 08:37 PM
Have you eliminated the possibility that the ink cartridge is not properly seated / inserted? If in eye dropper mode is the barrel thread greased?

mrcharlie
December 4th, 2014, 03:34 AM
Have you eliminated the possibility that the ink cartridge is not properly seated / inserted?
+1

It is possible to push on a Platinum cartridge far enough to pop the sealing ball loose but not far enough to seal air-tight and this will allow ink to drip into the cap, as I found out from experience a couple days ago using my Carbon Pen. Pushing the cart in more firmly and seeing it move a little further into the section until it wouldn't go further fixed the issue for me. It wasn't my first time inking a Platinum cartridge, yet I still managed to not do it well.

I hope your problem is this simple.

sharmon202
December 5th, 2014, 02:47 AM
I saw you didn't get a response so perhaps I can help, even if just to put a pic here to help others that do have one..

I thought it would be easier with a pic, so you can say which number is where the problem is?

I did also see this..
◆SLIP & SEAL MECHANISM It has normally been thought difficult to make an airtight pen with a screw-type cap. If not sealed tightly, the following problems can result:

It can be necessary to clean the pen using our Ink Cleaner Kit (http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/products/spare/ink/eink.html#ICL-1200) or even to repair or replace the nib itself if the damage due to dried ink is too severe.

At the request of customers, we at Platinum Pen Company have gone back to the basics to deal with this problem. This is the first fountain pen which has our unique “Slip & Seal” structure in a pen with a screw-type cap. Thanks to this innovation, currently being patented, it is possible to have a screw-type cap with complete airtightness.

Ink is going out at #1. The area here and forward toward the nib is an empty space, normally not having ink in it, in my brief experience. There is enough in this area that I can slosh it around and watch it move. A couple times ink has come out in a drop on paper. I am using converters, I checked that they are seated solidly. I have two new ultrafines this is happening with. Thanks for the picture, now I know how to d something like this without having to take and transfer pictures on camera or phone.
Any other suggestions of what might be causing this/what to do? If nothing else next week I will clean it and try again. Thanks again for your input.

ainterne
December 5th, 2014, 10:18 PM

I did also see this..

Ink is going out at #1. The area here and forward toward the nib is an empty space, normally not having ink in it, in my brief experience. There is enough in this area that I can slosh it around and watch it move. A couple times ink has come out in a drop on paper. I am using converters, I checked that they are seated solidly. I have two new ultrafines this is happening with. Thanks for the picture, now I know how to d something like this without having to take and transfer pictures on camera or phone.
Any other suggestions of what might be causing this/what to do2hing else next week I will clean it and try again. Thanks again for your input.

Virtually everything I can read about the issue, points to using Silicon to solve the problem. Its apparently quite a common problem and the most successful fix people use is the Silicone. You have to be careful re-assembling the parts, get them to tight and cracking can occur, however you must get them as tight as possible.
Use lots of it.

Good luck..

reicel
December 7th, 2014, 11:11 AM
This design of the grip section is common to both Preppies and the Platinum Plaisir. The only way to avoid it is to not dip the nib into the ink bottle to fill the converter. I prefer to dip so, after filling the pen, I use a narrow strip of paper towel folded to give it a bit of stiffness and slide it in between the feed and the section and absorb the excess ink that could drip. Solves the problem for me. I don't like the feel of the Preppy so I bought one of the extra fine and swapped the nib onto a Plaisir - love it!!

sharmon202
December 7th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info everyone, very helpful. I cannot mess with silicone, just do not have the time or patience right now with holidays an such. The paper towel idea might work. I have a Plaisir, never thought of the nib swap idea. I do not use the Plaisir because I do not like the width of the line. Thanks again for opening my mind to possibilities.

mrcharlie
December 8th, 2014, 03:31 AM
Is the problem just that filling using the converter sucks ink into that front collar open area around the nib, and then that is draining out?

A) If so, you need to use a paper towel/napkin/whatever to soak up all the loose ink around the nib after refilling. This may seem like a waste of ink, but most of that ink wasn't ever going to get used correctly anyhow. It isn't around the feed/collector in a way that will get used before it spills, as you have experienced.

B) Each time you refill, pull the converter and refill it directly from the ink container; do not overfill (you need a little bit of empty room for the feed post); wipe outside of converter; reinstall. This avoids the problem completely and is less wasteful of ink.

That said, if you can transfer a nib to the Plaisir (sp?) and if the Plaisir doesn't have that concave open maw around the nib front design, that should also do it.