PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer OS Balance. Mint. Lucky find.

david i
December 4th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Lately I've been offering some fresh finds, not just the "lazy evening' photos from the archive. My core focus of course is on American 1920s-1940s Celluloid. Many of you have heard my screed about "Silver Pearl" (grey pearlescent) pens from the 1930's from most makers. Today they are more common and often less expensive than other colors. Generally they see less demand today because the pale color shows celluloid discoloration more than other colors and because-- unlike gold-filled trim-- the chrome trim typically found with this color cannot readily be polished once worn or pitted. My assertion is they are common because back in the day, when clean, they were stunningly lovely pens. When you see one clean, it all makes sense. When gems turn up, then tend to command a premium.

Think how lovely looks the modern Visconti Wall Street in gray stripes with white trim.

I do still find pens on the internet. Sooooo.....I placed a bid on ebay on a Sheaffer Balance that appeared to be oversized. "Gray Pearl", the risky color. The "cheap" color what with so many not looking so great today. It arrived. It's... mint. Mint dipped at worst ( I have not checked feed for ink residue). Perfect color. No ink in cap. Smooth superb chrome trim. Plunger-fill variant with insane barrel transparency. Worth 4 times its cost, easily. I have a nice lever-fill version in my collection, and I don't seek to have both filling styles of each pen, but I will have to keep this one. And, while the box is well beaten, it is one of the chrome-trim boxes meant for pens with chrome trim. The boxes even are a bit scarce. Check this one out. Happy David.

http://vacumania.com/penteech2/sheafferbalance_oversized_silverpearl_mint950.jpg

regards

-d

brewsky
December 7th, 2014, 06:30 PM
That looks amazing. Nice find