PDA

View Full Version : A Black Pen Society Sheaffer Balance, they way they oughtta look :)

david i
December 6th, 2014, 11:51 AM
The pen is a long-standard Sheaffer Balance, more or less 1935-1941, though I have yet to clarify if this transparency pattern pins the start date to slightly later. Early plunger-fill pens seem to have had a spiral clarity pattern. The "radius" clip was in play by 1935 and of course black was used throughout Balance's entire run.

A high-line Balance-- one that would gain the model name Statesman in 1938-- a top-quality pen from its era, but also a fairly grass roots (if that term can be mapped to pen models) Balance, in the context of collecting. A good entry-to-series pen for collectors, with big Lifetime nib, but generally affordable price. Full size but not oversized.

I picked this up in quite affordable fashion. Plunger-fillers are tricky restos. The trim was tarnished. The barrel was dark. But, I could see the gem in the rough. Peeking through the ink covered barrel were specks of glorious barrel transparency, something that often fades (clear goes yellow then orange then red then opaque) in fashion collectors call ambering. The trim was clean. The imprint sharp.

Still, I didn't fully anticipate the gem that would return from restoration by my friend Gerry Berg, who specializes in plunger-fill Sheaffers.

Yeah, basic black. You can see why it sold well back in the day. Perhaps I will put this on the Black Pen Society page over at the Fountain Pen Journal website.

I've had good luck with plunger-fill Sheaffers the last few weeks, what with getting some gems back from Gerry and from the Kennedys.

There was a time I would have been thrilled to add this one to my collection. But, I have others. Still, that frisson remains when handling a pen that has survived 80 years in nearmint condition. I'm lucky that 16 years in the hobby have not left me more jaded, though I do like Jade Celluloid fountain pens ;)

http://vacumania.com/penteech2/sheafferbalance_black_great_clarity950a.jpg

regards

-d

Jeph
December 6th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Yup, that is a stunner. One of the black pens that I do not count as boring.

Farmboy
December 6th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Should we consult with Paul? I see significant portions of that barrel that lack black pigmentation. You may be disqualified.

david i
December 6th, 2014, 01:07 PM
I'm toying with the notion of inviting from collectors throughout the land images of black pens. Figure, start a page at Fountain Pen Journal with images and owner's names. But, not for a month or so. The great purge and reorganization of my website must happen first. Not to mention the DVD run of the vintage catalogues.

regards

d

Jeph
December 7th, 2014, 03:54 AM
Do you have a good picture of one with a spiral clarity pattern? I have been missing out on an entire class of pens and that makes me sad.

spotted and speckled
December 7th, 2014, 08:19 AM
Do you have a good picture of one with a spiral clarity pattern? I have been missing out on an entire class of pens and that makes me sad.

A fair picture of a Spiral Balance. I haven't put much effort into photographing my pens yet, sorry. Scroll through photostream for a few more photos of the same pen, and pics of most of my collection as of last year.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52211876@N00/10730411116/in/photostream/

I no longer have this pen--traded it, and I love the pen I traded it for. The person who got it was delighted. It's always an excellent trade when both people are happy.

Athanas
December 16th, 2014, 01:06 PM
> There was a time I would have been thrilled to add this one to my collection. But, I have others….

Hmm. Does that mean you may be selling this one?

:inquiring mind:

Chrissy
December 16th, 2014, 03:36 PM
It is a stunner. :)

david i
December 16th, 2014, 07:09 PM
> There was a time I would have been thrilled to add this one to my collection. But, I have others….

Hmm. Does that mean you may be selling this one?

:inquiring mind:

Hi Athanas.

I think it sort of was claimed via a backchannel inquiry.

Do peek in at the Vacumania link below. There should be fresh pens (in addition to a bunch of Sheaffers already listed) shortly.

regards

d

david i
December 16th, 2014, 07:10 PM
It is a stunner. :)

Thank Chrissy. It was a diamond in the rough when I found it.

regards

d

Mags
December 16th, 2014, 07:14 PM
I have never seen one like this. Super looking David.

Athanas
December 16th, 2014, 10:22 PM
I think it sort of was claimed via a backchannel inquiry.

Pity. I missed one like it on eBay recently. Some rotter outbid me.

Do peek in at the Vacumania link below. There should be fresh pens (in addition to a bunch of Sheaffers already listed) shortly.

I do visit from time to time and will be checking back. Any idea when the new pens will be listed?

david i
December 16th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Pity. I missed one like it on eBay recently. Some rotter outbid me.

I do visit from time to time and will be checking back. Any idea when the new pens will be listed?

Warm up for the new Vacumania approach should be up tonight or tomorrow. Then probably ten pens every week.

regards

d

Athanas
December 17th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Great, thanks. Will be visiting.