PDA

View Full Version : Platinum 3776 Sai!

tandaina
December 8th, 2014, 04:25 PM
For those following the postal adventures of this pen: it arrived today safe and sound.

I've sort of been bitten by the 3776 bug, so when Pen Chalet had their black Friday sale, and they listed 3776s in their email... I *ran* to their site on that Friday and started frantically clicking to see if any of the models I didn't have were on sale. I have no idea *how* I did it. But for one blinding second the 3776 Sai with a Medium nib (B and F didn't work) showed as $132! AND they were offering a discount code for every order which took another $19 off the price, making my shopping cart say $112.20. You can imagine how fast I checked out, terrified one of you folks would buy that puppy out from under me. I have to assume it was some sort of one off deal or Easter egg for the day, because once I'd safely checked out and went back to try to reproduce the price, I couldn't. The cheapest that Sai would show for was $179.

I was convinced I'd get an email saying their system messed up and the deal wasn't valid. Instead I got a shipping notification. And after the package dropped off the face of the earth for three days it finally arrived... And it's a Sai all right!

This pen is *not* easy to photo so bear with me. I need to pull out my real camera gear but I'm too tired for that atm.

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/photos/i-pJnzVvx/0/XL/i-pJnzVvx-XL.jpg

The box is simple, white, very understated.

Inside there is a luscious purple lining, the pen, a little information sheet about the Sai (and the lake it is modeled to honor), a converter, two carts, and a stamp. If the stamp said: "Written with Platinum 3776" or something I'd use it. But instead it boasts about writing with pigmented ink. It's just... odd. Anyway.

If you aren't a fan of demonstrators do not buy this pen. Seriously. Don't. This is about as demonstrator as they come, the clarity of the material is amazing. My Pelikan M200 clear demo looks as semitransparent as its colored siblings next to this pen. When they say that they wanted to capture the crystal clear waters of lake Sai, they weren't kidding.

The only ornamentation is the limited edition number etching at the top of the cap. I have #2974 of 3000.

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/photos/i-HRrHK3R/0/XL/i-HRrHK3R-XL.jpg

(It is gray and stormy today so the light is awful and these pictures are soft and blah. Sorry!

The barrel isn't boring, the inside of the barrel is beveled, or cut like a jewel. Hard to describe but makes it really sparkle.

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/photos/i-gm58dVd/0/XL/i-gm58dVd-XL.jpg

(Sorry, that photo really doesn't do it justice at all. Totally failed to get good photographs today. If the sun comes out tomorrow I'll haul out the real camera.

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/photos/i-hCnqcC7/0/XL/i-hCnqcC7-XL.jpg

Unlike all the other 3776 line it has no cap band, no ornamentation at all other than the clip and the numbered engraving. I'd have liked a cap band, partly because I really like the band on my other 3776s, but also because the cap band covers up the *threads.* But the whole point of this pen is simplicity, so they went without. The slip and seal cap is very visible here, the converter, the nib. All the guts are right there to see. I haven't inked it up yet but the ink will be nice to see in the converter. I'd love to make this an eyedropper but Plantinum (and Nakaya) use metal on their inner sections so I won't be doing that.

However, I *am* going to finally break down and buy a painted converter. This pen is just begging for one. I'll post more later, but wanted to share, there isn't a ton of information out there about the Sai, so wanted to make a review available.

The only problem? Now that I own umm... 4 Platinum 3776s and 1 of the lake line... I'm umm, gonna have to get the rest of the pens commemorating the lakes around Mount Fuji, I mean otherwise it'd just be incomplete, right? ;) My husband officially hates Pen Chalet. (Just kidding, he just rolls his eyes and goes and builds another computer.)

caribbean_skye
December 8th, 2014, 05:06 PM
That is awesome that you got the phenomenal deal. Kudos to you.

earthdawn
December 8th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Fantastic deal and a beautiful pen!

I know Nibs.com has 1 version of the Maki converters that are rhodium plated.. cause I have one :)

I think it would look great in there!

Congrats and glad to hear it finally arrived safe and sound

http://www.nibs.com/Nakaya-Converters.html

Quite fitting for this time of year

tandaina
December 8th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Fantastic deal and a beautiful pen!

I know Nibs.com has 1 version of the Maki converters that are rhodium plated.. cause I have one :)

I think it would look great in there!

Congrats and glad to hear it finally arrived safe and sound

http://www.nibs.com/Nakaya-Converters.html

Quite fitting for this time of year

Yup that's exactly the one I just ordered.

I really, really, really want the goldfish one but its yellow/gold and would clash. :( These converters come apart pretty easily so I'm wondering if I couldn't swap the metal bits...

earthdawn
December 8th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Well.... I just pulled mine out to see...

I had to give it a pretty hard twist and pull, gentle but firm, and I did get it off. The lower part is friction fit.

Just for you

tandaina
December 8th, 2014, 07:43 PM
Muahahahahahahh! ;)

Which means that the converter it came with can donate its parts to any painted converter I want. ;) I've taken the back metal sleeve off my Nakaya's converter, only way to get the thing fully flushed. The front was what I wasn't sure about. Thanks for experimenting!

VertOlive
December 8th, 2014, 08:13 PM
Total Big Score! Thanks for the photos!

tandaina
December 8th, 2014, 08:29 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/08/6b2203d7b0757c4091de10dedc5f93df.jpg

So... Cut out a couple butterflies from washi tape and decorated the converter. ;) While I wait for my snowflake converter. Oh the possibilities given the huge staff of washi tape I've built up....

tandaina
December 8th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Also, the M nib is divine. Smooth, European fine line. Nice and juicy and writes like a dream. :) These Platinums are winners.

Crazyorange
December 8th, 2014, 08:42 PM
You're killing me.....that pen is gorgeous. Sweet deal too! Congrats!

Behike54
December 9th, 2014, 08:06 AM
I love the goldfish converter, but the one you chose "goes better" with your pen.

PENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I leave for Taiwan and Japan tomorrow at 4AM and can hardly wait to see what I come back with.

Pilot CH 912 SU?
SAILOR PG Imperial Black?

Ton of Iroshizuku and Sailor inks

Paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I am feeling woozy…..:crazy_pilot:

Lady Onogaro
December 9th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Tandaina,

Is it a big pen? How does it fit in your hand (any "pen in hand" pictures for us)?

tandaina
December 9th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Good question, I just sort of assume everyone is familiar with the size of the 3776 line, but not necessarily true! ;)

Here are my 3776s lined up with my Montblanc 146.

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/photos/i-83MFxDj/0/XL/i-83MFxDj-XL.jpg

As you can see the 3776 is basically the same length as the 146 (note the Koi is just a tiny bit shorter than her sisters). And the girth is similar, though the 3776 comes in on the smaller size in terms of grip section. And is much lighter (because of the metal piston mechanism in the 146.

Here's an in hand picture. I have tiny little hands and never post anything, y'all I don't have to post a Montblanc 142 to use it...

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/photos/i-hP2t6gC/0/XL/i-hP2t6gC-XL.jpg

Hope that helps!

mtnbiker62
December 9th, 2014, 01:21 PM
They are amazing pens. I have 3 of them: a #3776 "Maestro", a #3776 "Sai" and a #3776 "Shoji", all with F nibs. For how fine the line they lay down is, they are extremely smooth. I use them in my journals, which are mostly Moleskine Classics or Leuchtturm 1917s, and they work great!

tandaina
December 9th, 2014, 01:54 PM
I definitely want a Shoji. I've got the bourgonge (red) color coming from Japan. Would love some more of the celluloid flavors as well.

mtnbiker62
December 9th, 2014, 02:03 PM
I don't do gold furnishings, so that helps me keep my addiction in check! I still need to find a Motosu, though.

Lady Onogaro
December 9th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I have the Chartres Blue (with Pendleton panache), and i love it. But I love the Koi, too. You really lucked out on that Sai. It's a lovely lady for your collection.

Sammyo
December 9th, 2014, 08:54 PM
I still want that koi! Stunning pen. I love my bourgonge though, the best pen I own by far. I put Noodler's antietam in it and every time I use it I just feel better about it. The sai is beautiful, I know what you mean about the clarity. Thank you so much for sharing.

Hawk
December 9th, 2014, 10:00 PM
Beautiful pen, enjoy....

reprieve
December 10th, 2014, 08:03 AM
That is a lovely pen! I hadn't paid much attention to the Sai until I saw your photos. Gorgeous!

Which ink did you fill it with? It looks like a rich purple in the converter.

tandaina
December 12th, 2014, 05:16 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/12/9738f85c69783e7985fcac66a025b967.jpg

Why yes, a maki-e convert looks just lovely in the Sai! :) Perfect Xmas pen now, love it.

earthdawn
December 12th, 2014, 09:05 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/12/9738f85c69783e7985fcac66a025b967.jpg

Why yes, a maki-e convert looks just lovely in the Sai! :) Perfect Xmas pen now, love it.

Hehe ... you had fun with that now didn't you ?

Looks fantastic... congrats again!

VertOlive
December 13th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Pen Chalet has a Platinum sale going right now, according to my email. Sai & Shoji going for about $162

tandaina
December 13th, 2014, 09:51 PM
Pen Chalet has a Platinum sale going right now, according to my email. Sai & Shoji going for about $162

You're right, they are. Must not buy a Shoji, must not buy a Shoji, must not buy a Shoji. OMG you guys it's BLUE. I love blue, blue is my favorite color. GAH!

reprieve
December 13th, 2014, 10:05 PM

You're right, they are. Must not buy a Shoji, must not buy a Shoji, must not buy a Shoji. OMG you guys it's BLUE. I love blue, blue is my favorite color. GAH!

Not to be an enabler or anything, but I have a Shoji, and it's lovely. It's a wonderful icy blue--perfect for winter. I think you need one for your 3776 collection… :)

earthdawn
December 13th, 2014, 11:57 PM

Not to be an enabler or anything, but I have a Shoji, and it's lovely. It's a wonderful icy blue--perfect for winter. I think you need one for your 3776 collection… :)

^^^^^
Total enabler lol

I have to admit though... the Sholi is the star of the them that I have wanted...

Crazyorange
December 14th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Your snow flake converter looks wonderful in the pen. A winter holiday treat. Oh buy the other pen....bet the snowflake converter would look nice in it too.

Neo
December 14th, 2014, 08:22 PM
If you're using penchalet remember to,use coupon code sbrebrown

VertOlive
December 14th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Well, it was a one day sale...:(

What does the "sbrebrown" code do?

Neo
December 15th, 2014, 06:42 AM

Takes 10% off the bill until the end of the year. Code gourmetpens does the same thing.

tandaina
December 15th, 2014, 10:35 AM

But if you have something in your cart the price remains good.... Using the GourmetPens code it came to $145.. So I bought it. It is all your fault you enablers! ;) I sure hope she's pretty and arrives soon but now I'm really going to have to buy NO PENS for a while. ;)

Neo
December 15th, 2014, 11:27 AM

But if you have something in your cart the price remains good.... Using the GourmetPens code it came to $145.. So I bought it. It is all your fault you enablers! ;) I sure hope she's pretty and arrives soon but now I'm really going to have to buy NO PENS for a while. ;)

:haha:I tell myself that every week.....

barnaby.bumble
December 15th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Congratulations on finding such a great deal on a pen that fits your collection so well!

I'll second what you said about the 3776 nib. I have the Chartres Blue in a medium, and it's extraordinarily smooth and steady. Very stiff, but a pleasure to write with.

reprieve
December 15th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I was going to order the Sai from Pen Chalet, but I couldn't figure out how to get the sale price. Looks like I missed it. That's probably for the best… I'm already waiting on the Bourgogne from Japan (oops).

reprieve
December 15th, 2014, 11:41 AM

Congrats! I hope you'll post photos of your 3776 collection after the Shoji arrives. :)

tandaina
December 15th, 2014, 12:03 PM

Congrats! I hope you'll post photos of your 3776 collection after the Shoji arrives. :)

Yes, I actually plan to do a report on my very sudden collection (seriously, bought the Chartres and they just sort of exploded. Especially as compared to the Montblanc 146 (that to me is their direct competition.) But I've got a Bourgogne that's going in my stocking (from Santa) so it'll have to wait until after Christmas. ;) I'm *making* myself wait on *one* of these pens. The 3776 are like rabbits, they multiply, you have been warned.

I've learned with Pen Chalet, check their sale area often and if you hit on something that looks really good put it in your cart! The cart stays active for a couple days and deals remain good so long as the pen is in the cart (from what I've seen.) I finally pressed "order" this morning on this most recent one, the deal was long gone, but they honored the one that was in my cart with the sale price.

tinysnail
December 15th, 2014, 07:09 PM
What a great pen for a great deal! Super jealous of your koi 3776, also. I may have to pick up one of those for myself at some point. My 3776 Nice needs some friends.

whych
December 16th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Also, the M nib is divine. Smooth, European fine line. Nice and juicy and writes like a dream. :) These Platinums are winners.

So at what point did you switch from your broad, wet, German pens to the medium pens?

tandaina
December 16th, 2014, 04:57 PM

So at what point did you switch from your broad, wet, German pens to the medium pens?

Hah, haven't really. My first Platinum has a broad nib made into a cursive italic. But the deals I've snagged have all been for M nibs. And I've got an EF that I use in my Hobonichi, really makes journaling work better in that tiny little book. ;) The Ms will probably all eventually get turned into Italics the next time I see PB! (Got a soft fine I'm waiting until Christmas to open, that'll be interesting.)

VertOlive
December 19th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Today the Pen Chalet Sale is back on for Platinum 3776. With the 40% discount for today and the "sbrebrown" 10%, I got a Sai w/ Med 14KT gold nib for $145.80. Free shipping. Done deal!

OK, now who's got Atomic Washi Tape for the convertor !?

reprieve
December 19th, 2014, 08:59 PM
I may have ordered a Sai also, with a medium nib... Oops.
OK, so I'm super excited. I'm going to try swapping the metal bits on a goldfish maki-e converter.

tandaina
December 20th, 2014, 09:46 AM
My Shoji is here.....

klpeabody
December 20th, 2014, 10:02 AM
This thread is killing me! My willpower to resist is diminishing exponentially...

Neo
December 21st, 2014, 12:54 PM
My Shoji is here.....

Is a review to follow? :fans:

tandaina
December 21st, 2014, 01:04 PM
My Shoji is here.....

Is a review to follow? :fans:
Yes! Havnt had a spare moment to breath, preached this morning and Xmas prep! Will do it soon.

tandaina
December 21st, 2014, 05:03 PM
I did it. Review posted (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/9884-Platinum-3776-Shoji) for those interested. ;)

reprieve
December 21st, 2014, 07:44 PM
My Sai arrived yesterday. It's very pretty. Very, well, clear. The faceted barrel is eye-catching.

I pillaged a goldfish maki-e converter from one of my Nakayas and swapped out the metal parts so that it would match the Sai's silver nib. It was easy to do. (Thanks, earthdawn, for giving me the courage!) I have to say, the maki-e converter looks phenomenal in this pen. I haven't inked it yet--I'm waiting until Christmas day--but I'm thinking that a clear blue like Sailor Sky High will be perfect for the goldfish to swim in.

Thanks again for posting this review, tandaina. I had dismissed the Sai until I saw your photos. It's soooo pretty. I'm very glad I added this one to the collection and I can't wait to ink it up!

VertOlive
December 22nd, 2014, 06:59 PM
My Sai package arrived today. I'll inspect it when I get a moment to myself, then under the Christmas tree it goes!

tandaina
December 22nd, 2014, 08:44 PM
I've got mine (in my snowflake converter) inked with the old 1670 rouge hematite. So damn pretty and festive! I'm really, really liking this pen. The M nib is big enough (these really aren't Japanese nibs I swear), and wet enough to really make the sheen shine.

Crazyorange
December 22nd, 2014, 08:44 PM
My Sai arrived yesterday. It's very pretty. Very, well, clear. The faceted barrel is eye-catching.

I pillaged a goldfish maki-e converter from one of my Nakayas and swapped out the metal parts so that it would match the Sai's silver nib. It was easy to do. (Thanks, earthdawn, for giving me the courage!) I have to say, the maki-e converter looks phenomenal in this pen. I haven't inked it yet--I'm waiting until Christmas day--but I'm thinking that a clear blue like Sailor Sky High will be perfect for the goldfish to swim in.

Thanks again for posting this review, tandaina. I had dismissed the Sai until I saw your photos. It's soooo pretty. I'm very glad I added this one to the collection and I can't wait to ink it up!

Oooh...can you post a pic with goldfish converter? I'm a big goldfish fan....got 7 fat ones in a big tank.

VertOlive
December 23rd, 2014, 08:55 AM
"Oooh...can you post a pic with goldfish converter? I'm a big goldfish fan....got 7 fat ones in a big tank."

Right this way, down the rabbit hole....! http://www.nibs.com/Nakaya-Converters.html

reprieve
December 23rd, 2014, 10:38 AM
Oooh...can you post a pic with goldfish converter? I'm a big goldfish fan....got 7 fat ones in a big tank.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8602/15466626634_905737891b_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7547/15903184687_926ab298ba_z.jpg

Lady Onogaro
December 23rd, 2014, 10:51 AM
Those converters are so cool and a perfect complement to the pens.

Crazyorange
December 27th, 2014, 06:24 PM

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8602/15466626634_905737891b_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7547/15903184687_926ab298ba_z.jpg

Thank you for posting a pic. Pen is beautiful. Converter is darling. Looks like one of my Goldie's.