PDA

View Full Version : Question about: Pelikan M400 ... friction fit 1982

Wrathen
December 9th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Good afternoon everyone, I have a question I hope someone can answer for me. I have an opportunity to get a Pelikan M400. It has a friction fit nib and I'm told its from early 1982. I have always wanted a Pelikan but was holding out to get a M400/M600 in red striped. But the thing is I was born in January of 1982 and thought it would be very neat to have a birth year and close to month pen.

My thing is I'm not a collector per say so this pen would be to use as a daily writer. I dont know anything about the friction fit pens are they good or bad? do they have problems? My logic says why would they make them friction fit then change them that same year unless there was a problem with the design. The nib is a 585 14 kt Medium.... what does the 585 stand for?

Does anyone have any information that might help?

Also would would be a fair price? its looks to be in great condition from the pictures.

Thank you in advance.
-Wrathen

Laura N
December 9th, 2014, 11:43 AM
The friction fit nibs are less common. For me, they are not quite as useable, but it all depends on how you plan to use the pen. I prefer the screw-in Pelikan nibs, because that allows nib swapping and easy cleaning and maintenance. YMMV.

The 585 refers to the nib's gold content: also known as 14k.

Laura N
December 9th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Wrathen, I just saw your other thread: the M400 is a light pen. I think with cap it's about 15 grams. Before you buy that, you may want to try the (bigger and heavier, but more expensive) M800.

Wrathen
December 9th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks Laura. Is it just its difficulty in switching NIBs or is there something else that makes it less user friendly?

Also do you have a guess at what a fair price would be?

Wrathen
December 9th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Wrathen, I just saw your other thread: the M400 is a light pen. I think with cap it's about 15 grams. Before you buy that, you may want to try the (bigger and heavier, but more expensive) M800.

Oh... ummmm didnt know that... Maybe getting attached to it just because its my birth year is the wrong thing to do... maybe I should go back to my original plan of waiting till I can get a M600/M800 in red striations

Jeph
December 9th, 2014, 12:22 PM
It is simply less convenient because you can't easily remove the nib to clean the pen. Plus, over repeated removals the fit can start to become loose and can cause leaks. I have three (or four I can't remember) of them, and while they are neat I bought them on purpose just because they were different. I used one for about a month and it gave me no problems other than some ink nib creep. But for a daily user I would want something that is easier to clean. The removable (and therefore replaceable) nib is really what makes the Pelikans special in my opinion. Since you are not a collector I suggest that you wait for a "normal" one instead.

14/24 carat = 58.5 % gold

The M200 is the same size as the M400 and the steel nib makes them much more affordable.

Edit: I fail at proofreading

Laura N
December 9th, 2014, 02:48 PM
It is simply less convenient because you can't easily remove the nib to clean the pen. Plus, over repeated removals the fit can start to become loose and can cause leaks. I have three (or four I can't remember) of them, and while they are neat I bought them on purpose just because they were different. I used one for about a month and it gave me no problems other than some ink nib creep. But for a daily user I would want something that is easier to clean. The removable (and therefore replaceable) nib is really what makes the Pelikans special in my opinion. Since you are not a collector I suggest that you wait for a "normal" one instead....

This is exactly how I feel, as a Pelikan fan, FWIW.

Laura N
December 9th, 2014, 02:58 PM

Oh... ummmm didnt know that... Maybe getting attached to it just because its my birth year is the wrong thing to do... maybe I should go back to my original plan of waiting till I can get a M600/M800 in red striations

It just really sounds, from your other thread, that the M400 might turn out be too small or light for the best fit. I suspect the M800 will be the pen that you prefer, and it's a great one. Wait till you can try them, is my best advice. Though that sounds like a total buzzkill, I realize. :)

Wrathen
December 9th, 2014, 03:22 PM
It just really sounds, from your other thread, that the M400 might turn out be too small or light for the best fit. I suspect the M800 will be the pen that you prefer, and it's a great one. Wait till you can try them, is my best advice. Though that sounds like a total buzzkill, I realize. :)

While I would love some instant gratification and its always nice to get your hands on new toys to play with. I more than welcome your advice and I think its the best plan. After I posted I saw the post by Sargetalon where he linked the http://thepelikansperch.com/ site. I did alot of reading on it through the day one of which was the size & weight chart.... and I think your right a M800 is most likely what will be best for me.

I should just stock pile some funds till the middle of April for the Atlanta show go up there handle alot of pens and come home with a few. I have a bonus that I have a friend who lives in Atlanta so my wife and I can crash at his place.

Jeph
December 9th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I personally prefer the modern M600 (the older M600's were M400 sized) to the M800 but I am weird.
I absolutely agree that you should go somewhere (a show is perfect) where you can handle the pens yourself first.

Laura N
December 9th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I personally prefer the modern M600 (the older M600's were M400 sized) to the M800 but I am weird.
I absolutely agree that you should go somewhere (a show is perfect) where you can handle the pens yourself first.

You are not weird: the modern M600 size is ideal for me, too. :)

But Wrathen likes a heavier pen, like the Vanishing Point, which is why I think the M800 might turn out to be his favorite.

Tony Rex
December 9th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Pelikans are a poor choice for a birthday pen. It is almost impossible to determine the year. Only a few vintage/SE/LE models that were produced in less than a year, and a poor choice for one's first Pelikan anyway. They are either costly or hard to find.

I'd avoid the friction fit model simply because of the lack of swapability alone.

pompero
December 11th, 2014, 03:46 AM
The friction fit nibs are less common. For me, they are not quite as useable, but it all depends on how you plan to use the pen. I prefer the screw-in Pelikan nibs, because that allows nib swapping and easy cleaning and maintenance. YMMV.

The 585 refers to the nib's gold content: also known as 14k.

You can easily extract the nib unit. That's because it's not fitted tightly.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/735x398q90/138/dny4.jpg

whych
December 11th, 2014, 06:30 AM
But the old M600 had a better nib! ;)
Size is not that much different and shouldn't be a problem if you are a regular Pelikan user.

The push fit nib just makes it more difficult to clean the pen and, since it won't be your only Pelikan (they have a habit of collecting into a flock), you can swap nibs on the others.