PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc ballpoint refill substitute

carlos.q
December 10th, 2014, 05:37 AM
I usually don't use ballpoints but I do keep a MB ballpoint pen in my bag for those "just in case" situations. I've tried MB refills and find them awful, even the broad ones. Finally I bought a Monteverde gel refill in broad with blue black ink (!!!) and find it wonderful. Just look at the comparison shot:

mmahany
December 10th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Well, one is a ballpoint and one is a rollerball refill so naturally the samples will be significantly different.

If you're happy, that's what matters. However, I'll keep enjoying my Montblanc Blue or Black Broad ballpoint refills, and when I need a rollerball, I'll grab one.

johnus
December 10th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Surprised that MB still has this problem. In a previous life I thought that having a MB FP and Ball P would be 'Cool'. Love the FP but couldn't find Ball refills that didn't seem to be 'Dried out'. That was the 70's

carlos.q
December 10th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Well, one is a ballpoint and one is a rollerball refill so naturally the samples will be significantly different.

If you're happy, that's what matters. However, I'll keep enjoying my Montblanc Blue or Black Broad ballpoint refills, and when I need a rollerball, I'll grab one.

You are very lucky. I've had my MB ballpoint pen since the late 80's and I had never found a satisfactory refill (at least for me). I tried MB Blue and Black in fine and medium sizes and a few months back I tried the black refill in broad (the one in the picture). I have also tried some generic refills but those are even worse.

That's why I find this Monteverde refill so nice. I should point out that the refill I'm using is the "capless gel refill" for MB ballpoints in blue-black (M442BB) and not the rollerball refill (M232BB) which I believe would not fit a MB ballpoint.