PDA

View Full Version : Modern flex nibs. Pilot 742/743/912?

bjai
December 11th, 2014, 03:00 AM
Hi guys,

I understand that fa nib with semi flex is available for pilot 742, 743 and also custom heritage 912.

Just wondering what the differences are between the three? I know 743 is bigger than 742 but otherwise which would be more appropriate for calligraphy?

Thanks!

Finalist
December 11th, 2014, 08:48 AM
My one thought and based on experience is have it tuned by a pro like John Mottishaw. I've seen too many video reviews of those pens rail roading, hard starting and skipping. I own two modern flex pens that were tuned by JM and they perform wonderfully. It costs more than findingg a cheap buy online, but the results are worth it.

bjai
December 11th, 2014, 08:56 AM
Which pen did u get tuned?

Finalist
December 11th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I have a Namiki Falcon and a Nakaya Naka-ai both with John's Spencerian grinds.

earthdawn
December 11th, 2014, 07:02 PM
I agree 100% with Finalist

John does not just make a nib flex or cut it to a stub etc. He tunes the nibs flow to match not just your request of how wet you want it but also so the flow matches the cut of the nib.

Spencerian grind is just crazy and fun... I also have a Nakaya a soft/fine nib with extra flex added and it can sit for weeks and starts right up. Railroading is part of the game but it's still annoying and the way John ones nibs they are set just about as good as your going to get.

On that note I was looking at Nibs.com tonight and see he got in the 912's & FA nibs. I am trying to hold back from ordering one with extra flex... mmmm you just know its gonna be a killer combo.

Ok thats all I have ... time to go look at the pen again and dream about the extra flex 912 :crazy_pilot:

bjai
December 11th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys for the response. I am just not sure what's the difference between 912 and 742, neither of which is available where I am so I will have to order without seeing it. Is it just the gold plating on 742 and silver plating on the 912? Both uses the same converter. ..

Finalist
December 11th, 2014, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure, but the Falcon nib comes in different sizes, so that may be part of your answer?? I just googled and it seems like lots of reviews complain about the ink keeping up with the flex. If I could recommend one not on your list I'd say the Pilot metal Falcon, Resin Falcon, Justus or 912 but order it from Nibs.com as already said. I'm very impressed with the Pilot Justus in person. It is a very quality feeling pen where as my Pilot falcon resin feels light and thin - but works perfectly.