PDA

View Full Version : Lamy Safari for 2015

Lady Onogaro
December 15th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Someone on the other board said that the new color for 2015 will be neon. Someone else said it would be neon green.

He or she also received an email from the company saying there were prototypes for a purple, but they were not ready to launch one yet. :(

Nothing about the Al-Star. (I finally bought the blue-green and I do think it is pretty; nicer than most of the pictures.)

Sailor Kenshin
December 15th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Would that make three Neons in a row? I thought the Neon Yellow was very green-looking.

Laura N
December 15th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Oh crud.

Lady Onogaro, what is the source of the person on the other board?

And how many neon colors are left, anyway? Neon orange? Meh. Not to mention that they did a nice orange not so long ago.

I will buy it anyway, so I'm not one to talk. But I really want a purple Safari. Anyone for occupying Lamy?

reprieve
December 15th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Hello, Lamy, what about neon purple? Sigh.

Laura N
December 15th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Okay someone over on FPN says it's neon green. No source.

If true, someone at Lamy needs to be (figuratively) slapped upside the head.

They've recently put out Apple Green, Lime Green and Neon Yellow, which as Sailor Kenshin says is pretty green looking. And now another green?

tandaina
December 15th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Yeah Lamy' recent color choices have made me even less likely to buy them, which is too bad the ones I do have are solid reliable pens (if not spectacular), but jeez the colors have been ugly recently. To my eye at least.

sgtstretch
December 15th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I too would love a nice purple Safari.

Sailor Kenshin
December 15th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I swore I wouldn't get the Neon Coral, but I caved, and I love it. Aannnd the matching ink! But it's a summer color. What about a nice sober fall/winter color?

Lady Onogaro
December 15th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Here's a link to the thread: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/280178-no-purple-safari-yet-neon-for-2015/

klpeabody
December 15th, 2014, 03:06 PM
I really don't understand Lamy's fixation with bright green colors in recent years.

And, why neon three years in a row?

I wish they would change things up a little.

reprieve
December 15th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Lime green, apple green, neon yellow, and now neon green? That's a bit excessive.

johnus
December 15th, 2014, 03:54 PM
It does make them easier to find on a cluttered desk(;-).

VertOlive
December 15th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I want Olive Drab Green with black furnishings and nib. Tactical!

Or Orange with black furnishings and nib. Tiger-ical!

tinysnail
December 18th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I swore I wouldn't get the Neon Coral, but I caved, and I love it. Aannnd the matching ink! But it's a summer color. What about a nice sober fall/winter color?

Ooh, I would love a nice muted colour. Mustard or beige or oxblood or something would be fantastic.

Laura N
January 24th, 2015, 10:38 AM
So, thanks to klp, I learn that Dan has confirmed, here (http://fpgeeks.com/2015/01/for-reals-this-time-the-2015-lamy-safari-is-neon-lime/), that the 2015 Safari is indeed neon green. There's a photo at the link.

I think Dan's words captured my disappointment perfectly, as a fan. I mean, I understand some people actively like the color, and I'm glad for them. It is different. And I guess if you are a fan of neon, no other company is catering to your preferences. Or if you are a new convert to Safari and haven't bought any of the previous neon or green iterations, you can finally get yours now. So no problem if you like it. I'm just thinking that there are also a lot of us who have faithfully bought the neon and green models already, who maybe look forward each year to getting something different, something sorely needed in the Safari lineup.

Or maybe they might take advantage of the huge demand for retro and bring back modern versions of some sought-after older models. Why let eBay resellers and counterfeiters have all the fun?

Jon Szanto
January 24th, 2015, 10:42 AM
http://img.allw.mn/content/lifestyle/2011/09/Beanie-babies.jpg

Laura N
January 24th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Jon, that is very apt.

Hey, can you hand-hammer a Neon Green Safari for me?

Jon Szanto
January 24th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I can.

I actually plan on doing a one-off on my only Lamy, a Vista. Coming soon in Spring 2015!

Sailor Kenshin
January 24th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I have the Apple and the Neon Yellow. As I had the Pink, I wasn't sure I'd want the Neon Coral, but I caved. Yes, the Neon theme's wearing thin. But I'll have to see a comparison.

Maybe if they put out a Neon Green ink, I'll cave on this, too.

A remark on the blog amused me. The Safari, and 'expensive' fountain pen? I guess, compared to a Hero 616...

Laura N
January 24th, 2015, 10:57 AM
I have the Apple and the Neon Yellow. As I had the Pink, I wasn't sure I'd want the Neon Coral, but I caved. Yes, the Neon theme's wearing thin. But I'll have to see a comparison.

Maybe if they put out a Neon Green ink, I'll cave on this, too.

A remark on the blog amused me. The Safari, and 'expensive' fountain pen? I guess, compared to a Hero 616...

I like the Neon Coral. Not as much as the regular Pink, but I do like it. Plus another pink was coming tantalizingly closer to purple. But I actually even like the Neon Yellow, which I thought I'd hate. I just think, as Dan said, I just wish Lamy had switched it up a bit. Three neons in a row. And three greens since 2008, even if you don't count Neon Yellow, which I think is a greenish yellow.

I liked the Neon Coral ink, but I'm safe from Neon Green ink.

What makes it silly, personally, is that I'll buy the Neon Green Safari, whether or not I like it. So it's not a serious rant. On the list of serious problems facing the world, Lamy's putting out this color Safari doesn't rank at all. :)

It's just such an opportunity lost. For Lamy. I'm one of those fans who wants to see companies do well by its customers. I'm like an Apple fan, I guess. :)

Sailor Kenshin
January 24th, 2015, 11:15 AM
That should read 'an.' Waaahhhh.

reprieve
January 24th, 2015, 11:38 AM
What makes it silly, personally, is that I'll buy the Neon Green Safari, whether or not I like it.

Me too. I like green, and I like many of the neon colors, and I even like the catalog photo of the forthcoming neon green. I'll end up buying it. But I am still disappointed. It's a stale theme. I was hoping for something totally new and different. Like purple. Or even a new shade of blue or red. I had hoped Lamy would finally leave the yellow-green-neon scheme behind this year.

klpeabody
January 24th, 2015, 12:22 PM
What makes it silly, personally, is that I'll buy the Neon Green Safari, whether or not I like it.

Me too. I like green, and I like many of the neon colors, and I even like the catalog photo of the forthcoming neon green. I'll end up buying it. But I am still disappointed. It's a stale theme. I was hoping for something totally new and different. Like purple. Or even a new shade of blue or red. I had hoped Lamy would finally leave the yellow-green-neon scheme behind this year.

I will likely buy it too, as I'm a bit of a collector of sorts. But, I believe both Laura and Reprieve have captured my thoughts succinctly. There are so many opportunities to be had here. I can imagine the possibilities. So glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

On the plus side, I did buy the Coral - and liked it. So surprised about that, and right now it's my "fun pen" as it's a visual pick-me-up. But, it's the fun coral color that makes it. Not sure I'll feel the same about neon lime, but I guess we shall see when the time comes.

AtomicLeo
January 24th, 2015, 07:50 PM
When I saw this color, I was disappointed. I have not bought a special edition Lamy Safari or Al-Star since the ruby red Al-Star

VertOlive
March 22nd, 2015, 02:00 PM
Normally I love greens, but I'll have to see it. I like the neon coral well enough, but the neon yellow was a letdown...

Laura N
May 2nd, 2015, 08:42 PM
FYI, here is a photo of the Andersons' Lamy display at the Chicago Pen show, with the Neon Lime Safari at the left in front, and the CopperOrange Al-Star in the middle and back.

The colors are accurate on my monitor based on how the pens looked in the light in that room. However, the Neon Lime Safari is extremely bright -- brighter this photo can convey. For comparison, next to the neon lime in the bottom row are red, the regular pink, the Vista and the regular yellow.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/2015%20Chicago%20Pen%20Show/DSC_1004_zpstzvtiicf.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/2015%20Chicago%20Pen%20Show/DSC_1004_zpstzvtiicf.jpg.html)

sgage
May 17th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Nothing about the Al-Star. (I finally bought the blue-green and I do think it is pretty; nicer than most of the pictures.)

I have a blue-green Al-Star, too - it is a very pleasant color. I also have an ocean blue Al-Star, which is my favorite pen. I keep it filled with J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir ink, and it writes like a dream.

I'd like to see a new color in the Al-Star lineup - I'd consider getting another.

Julia161
May 20th, 2015, 07:42 AM
Blue is also cool to be the color of the year :)https://scontent-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/11232728_416038035264624_2926108570000918785_o.jpg

Laura N
May 20th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Blue is also cool to be the color of the year :)https://scontent-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/11232728_416038035264624_2926108570000918785_o.jpg

I hope I'm not telling you something you don't already know, but that blue one is fake.

Julia161
May 25th, 2015, 02:17 AM
Hi, Laura. The guys from another forum also told me this :( Now I know the difference better and next time will be more careful. I bought it cheap though and happy with the color. Maybe when I get the right one will write a review to compare :)