PDA

View Full Version : The amazing Shawn Newton

dr.lowbrow
December 20th, 2014, 02:55 PM
I ordered a pen from Shawn several months back. He was so gracious about going back and forth on emails *many* times until I got just what I wanted. And then I made more changes. :-)

Yes, he has long wait times, but it is so worth it. I knew he'd be posting as he was working on my pen, so I kept my eye out on Facebook. He emailed photos before he posted them! (just by a few minutes, but I thought that was a nice touch).

So, the story goes like this -- all is well until he posted the "finished pen." The cap wasn't as ordered. I emailed a nice note about it. He responded within minutes that he'd make a new one ASAP, and then, two hours later (or thereabouts), he posted pictures of the new correct cap. No whining, no waiting, nothing but super customer service from a terrific person who also happens to make amazing pens.

It arrived in stunningly gorgeous packing (unlike any other pen I've received). I had to caress it before inking it. And then I touched nib to paper. Magic. All I can say is that it is a magical writing experience. In our exchanges about what I wanted he figured out *exactly* what the nib should be.

I now have a stunningly beautiful work of art from a classy man that is an everyday workhorse of a pen. Yes, I have another order in the queue and I am looking at possibilities for the one (or two or three) after that. I can't say enough about Shawn, his work with art students, scholarship program etc al.

images at his website (http://newtonpens.wordpress.com/preston-rose-and-amber-tortoise-long-small-button/#jp-carousel-12353)

alc3261
December 20th, 2014, 03:58 PM
I have 2 Shawn Newton pens and 1 in the queue.
When he made the 1st one the acrylic just wasn't what I'd expected when I chose it. Shawn didn't bat an eyelid - he showed me some different acrylics and remade the pen from scratch. :)
My 2nd pen was Ebonite and he sent me photos with a query - did I think the cap was too long? Yes, I did. So he re-made it.
I broke the cap of a Vintage pen, he made me a replacement.
No. 1 Penmaker!!

VertOlive
December 20th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Very nice looking pen and unique to you design, congrats!

klpeabody
December 20th, 2014, 05:12 PM
How fascinating that this is your pen. I saw photos of this pen on Instagram today, since I follow Shawn there. I am always inspired by Shawn's new creations; I am still designing my own Newton pen in my mind. Glad to hear that you've had a good experience. Shawn seems like a great guy to work with.

Newton Pens
December 22nd, 2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks so much for the kind words! :) I'm really glad you're both happy with your pens!