PDA

View Full Version : New 45 Fp/bp Set... Didn't Even Have To Clean Them. Love The Color!

KBeezie
December 24th, 2014, 02:19 PM
While I wasn't crazy about how they shipped it, just threw both pens, unpadded into a bubble mailer so they were just sliding around bouncing into each other during the whole trip. They did least arrive safely.

The pens appear to have never been inked.

$10 Shipped is what I got them for, and the BP refill does write (Albeit dryly), I'm just going to replace it with a gel insert.

But I absolutely love the color, has a Steel Medium in the FP right now but I'll probably take my 14K Fine from the grey one I have.

Other than just wiping them down with a microfiber cloth and blowing the dust off with an air bulb, this is pretty much straight from the package.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45/navy_gray_set/uncapped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45/navy_gray_set/carts.jpg

Sailor Kenshin
December 24th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Nice catch, nice color. What's it called?

KBeezie
December 24th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Nice catch, nice color. What's it called?

Teal blue or dusty blue

Edit:

Far as the colors at bottom:

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/45.htm

And you know I'm thinking it might actually be Navy Grey, it's not rich enough to be Teal Blue based on that page.

Edit #2:

Interesting the nib doesn't have a "Made in U.S.A." on it, just the Parker symbol. (Cap does though). The other two steel nibs I've had both had "Made in U.S.A."

Crazyorange
December 24th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Ohhh....that's a great color. What's the time period on it?

KBeezie
December 24th, 2014, 06:48 PM

No "45" on the cap, and with that style I'm going to say early 60s, likely not later than '65/'66.

Been pretty much the same for every 45 I've acquired recently except for one (where it did have "45" on both sides of the cap).

Crazyorange
December 24th, 2014, 07:00 PM
The colors from that time period are wonderful. You snagged yourself a sweet set at a great price. Congrats.

Jon Szanto
December 24th, 2014, 09:36 PM
And you know I'm thinking it might actually be Navy Grey, it's not rich enough to be Teal Blue based on that page.

Before you posted a word I would have said "green", based on the photo.

mhosea
December 24th, 2014, 10:00 PM
My mind said "green" as well, but this was a reaction to the color, not taking standard 45 colors into account. Looking at the colors on Richard's page, and looking at my 51's for comparison, I'd say Navy Gray.

Spikey Mike
December 25th, 2014, 03:44 AM
Nice pens set and a good price ... not sure about your date estimate though ... assuming that the converter is the one that came with it, the converter is the later slim squeeze one which would probably add 10 years onto your original estimate, assuming this was the one that came with it - you never know with 45's as everything can be chopped and changed but if never used it's likely to be original.

KBeezie
December 25th, 2014, 04:13 AM
Nice pens set and a good price ... not sure about your date estimate though ... assuming that the converter is the one that came with it, the converter is the later slim squeeze one which would probably add 10 years onto your original estimate, assuming this was the one that came with it - you never know with 45's as everything can be chopped and changed but if never used it's likely to be original.

If it makes a difference, there is no made in USA on the nib jus the cap, and the insides of the section are white on both sides as opposed to black like my other 45s.

Edit:

Found my Gray Cards, I guess it's probably Navy Gray according to the Parker 45 color list on Richard Pens, definitely not Teal Blue or Dusty Blue.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/parker/45/navy_gray_set/graycard.jpg

sgage
May 17th, 2015, 07:21 AM
I have a 1969 Parker 45 FP/BP set that was given to me at graduation from Jr. High School. I used the BP all through high school, and the FP for writing letters. I still have the FP, but can't seem to find the BP, though I'll bet it's packed away in some box - I've moved quite a few times since then!

My set is the 'olive' color, which I think looks real nice with the steel cap with gold accents. The FP works OK, but the nib (M) likes to burp ink once in a while, which is awkward. (Is there an easy fix for that?) My converter looks a bit different from yours. Yours seems to have threads at the end, mine is just like the end of a cartridge.

Sure wish I could find the BP...

pajaro
May 21st, 2015, 09:46 PM
The olive color is real 1960s in flavor. I think I have seen the ballpoints on ebay.

The gray color, navy gray, looks quite elegant on this set.

HughC
May 23rd, 2015, 08:47 PM

No "45" on the cap, and with that style I'm going to say early 60s, likely not later than '65/'66.

Been pretty much the same for every 45 I've acquired recently except for one (where it did have "45" on both sides of the cap).

Always difficult to date. I'm thinking later than '65 and more '67 or thereabouts. Navy gray was later than '65 when both light and dark where offered, the originally released greys. I don't recall seeing a list of exactly when all the colours first introduced but '67 is cited as when the range really expanded. Great condition for a 50 yr old !!

Regards
Hugh