PDA

View Full Version : A Three Pen Problem

writingrav
August 3rd, 2012, 05:11 AM
I am going to buy one pen this month and I am soliciting opinions.

Aurora Ipsilon (I don't own any Aurora Pens)
Edison Beaumont (I own a Pearlette, a Herald and a Nouveau Encore)
Faber-Castille Ondoro ( I own a F-C Loom)

They are relatively in the same price range, the Ipsilon being a little cheaper. I can't decide. Help!:)

FP_GaF
August 3rd, 2012, 07:03 AM
I own two out of the three pens that you mentioned and I can tell you this:

I truly love my Ondoro. It is a great pen. But since you own a Loom you will find that they both sport the same kind of nib. These Faber-Castell steel nibs are very nice indeed. I just think you won't find that much difference in writing experience between the Loom and the Ondoro. I can hear the screaming already: "Is this guy insane?! The Ondoro is a much better pen...". True, but I am also looking at the novelty factor and then the other two options seem more interesting to me. So let me put it that way, the Ondoro would be an excellent but conservative choice from my point of view.

I personally am in love with Aurora, I must confess this before I go on. I own the Ipsilon Deluxe which has a 14ct gold nib. But you are looking into the steel-nibed version I believe. My Ipsilon is one of my top three favourite pens (the other two being an Aurora Talentum and a Delta Via Veneto; or maybe the Visconti Rembrandt... I have this Italian thing, you know). At any rate, I highly recommend the Aurora Ipsilon. Also, Doc Brown has a review on both the Ondoro and the Ipsilon.

I cannot say much about the Edison Beaumont. To my eternal disgrace I do admit that I don't own a single Edison fountain pen. It is darn difficult to get one's hands on them in the UK and shipping and above all duty together cost as much as the pen itself. So much for my lame excuse. Thus I cannot help you with the Edison.

I hope this will make your choice somewhat easier. Please be sure to let us know which pen you eventually decided to buy once you made up your mind.

Have fun with your new pen whichever it will be.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

fountainpenkid
August 3rd, 2012, 07:19 AM
I love the looks of the Ondoro. But I haven't tried any of these pens, so I can't say much.

Will

writingrav
August 3rd, 2012, 07:44 AM
I own two out of the three pens that you mentioned and I can tell you this:

I truly love my Ondoro. It is a great pen. But since you own a Loom you will find that they both sport the same kind of nib. These Faber-Castell steel nibs are very nice indeed. I just think you won't find that much difference in writing experience between the Loom and the Ondoro. I can hear the screaming already: "Is this guy insane?! The Ondoro is a much better pen...". True, but I am also looking at the novelty factor and then the other two options seem more interesting to me. So let me put it that way, the Ondoro would be an excellent but conservative choice from my point of view.

I personally am in love with Aurora, I must confess this before I go on. I own the Ipsilon Deluxe which has a 14ct gold nib. But you are looking into the steel-nibed version I believe. My Ipsilon is one of my top three favourite pens (the other two being an Aurora Talentum and a Delta Via Veneto; or maybe the Visconti Rembrandt... I have this Italian thing, you know). At any rate, I highly recommend the Aurora Ipsilon. Also, Doc Brown has a review on both the Ondoro and the Ipsilon.

I cannot say much about the Edison Beaumont. To my eternal disgrace I do admit that I don't own a single Edison fountain pen. It is darn difficult to get one's hands on them in the UK and shipping and above all duty together cost as much as the pen itself. So much for my lame excuse. Thus I cannot help you with the Edison.

I hope this will make your choice somewhat easier. Please be sure to let us know which pen you eventually decided to buy once you made up your mind.

Have fun with your new pen whichever it will be.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! That is indeed very helpful. I will mull over your comments, but I think I agree with your reasoning. Since I already have example of 2 out of 3, though I must say I would not have thought to put the Loom in the same class as the Ondoro, but you are probably right in doing so.

KrazyIvan
August 3rd, 2012, 08:28 AM
I sent my Aurora Ipsilon back and traded for a Pelikan M200. If the severe case of baby's bottom would have not been there, I would have kept it.

writingrav
August 3rd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Already have a Pelikan M200 Demonstrator in the mail. So far leaning toward the Aurora, but will keep your experience in mind.

FP_GaF
August 3rd, 2012, 12:53 PM
I double-checked on the Faber-Castell nibs and they are indeed the same nibs on the Loom and on the Ondoro (as much as I could compare them). But everything else is definitely upper class on the Ondoro, so the higher price tag is justified in my opinion. Again, I believe that the writing experience will be somewhat similar between Loom and Ondoro (the nib will feel the same but section and balance are different). One other point: you can post the Ondoro but it is very top heavy when posted.

I forgot about KI's bad experience to be honest and this is something to take into account: in case of problems I guess the Ipsilon will be the biggest pain in the rear (assuming you live in the US). Here the Beaumont clearly wins.

Not easy, eh?

writingrav
August 3rd, 2012, 02:03 PM
I double-checked on the Faber-Castell nibs and they are indeed the same nibs on the Loom and on the Ondoro (as much as I could compare them). But everything else is definitely upper class on the Ondoro, so the higher price tag is justified in my opinion. Again, I believe that the writing experience will be somewhat similar between Loom and Ondoro (the nib will feel the same but section and balance are different). One other point: you can post the Ondoro but it is very top heavy when posted.

I forgot about KI's bad experience to be honest and this is something to take into account: in case of problems I guess the Ipsilon will be the biggest pain in the rear (assuming you live in the US). Here the Beaumont clearly wins.

Not easy, eh?

Mull

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Maja
August 3rd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Well, I'll put it this way...I own two Ondoros---one in black, one in orange---and the writing experience blows away my Aurora Ipsilon's. I don't own any Edison pens (but they are on my wish list ;)).

writingrav
August 3rd, 2012, 05:59 PM
Well, I'll put it this way...I own two Ondoros---one in black, one in orange---and the writing experience blows away my Aurora Ipsilon's. I don't own any Edison pens (but they are on my wish list ;)).

Now its getting complicated.

KrazyIvan
August 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Don't you just love it?

Truppi327
August 3rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
None of my pens are better than my two Edison Nouveau Premieres and my Collier. Go Edison.

Okami
August 3rd, 2012, 08:24 PM
I love all my Edison's but it looks like you already have a good selection there. I don't own an Ipsilon so cannot comment on it but I love my modern Aurora 88 and would not trade it for the world. I am not a big fan of the Faber Castell fountain pens and since you already have one, I would vote for the Aurora.

FP_GaF
August 4th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Now its getting complicated.

Well, aren't you glad you asked... :)

Maja
August 4th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Nice "Daily Carry" feature, Ira (writingrav)! Thanks for sharing your pens with us :D

ianmedium
August 5th, 2012, 12:05 AM
That is a touch choice. I don't own any of those brands and each one appeals for different reasons. I think having seen Brian's latest creation on the main site I would plump for that one.. In the bedrock flake, something very Art Deco about that particular one of the three!

I have always promised myself that the day I get a Faber Castell fountain pen it will be one of the Graf von ones as I like hand tuned nibs and I believe all the Graf ones have that feature.

peterpen53
August 5th, 2012, 02:04 AM
I have always promised myself that the day I get a Faber Castell fountain pen it will be one of the Graf von ones as I like hand tuned nibs and I believe all the Graf ones have that feature.

Excuse the quick snapshot, but you mean like...

writingrav
August 5th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Nice "Daily Carry" feature, Ira (writingrav)! Thanks for sharing your pens with us :D

Thanks Maja. It was my pleasure.

ianmedium
August 5th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Excuse the quick snapshot, but you mean like...

That's it Peter, spot on. The only wooden pens that have ever appealed to me are the GVFC's! Yours look wonderful!

peterpen53
August 6th, 2012, 04:43 AM
That's it Peter, spot on. The only wooden pens that have ever appealed to me are the GVFC's! Yours look wonderful!

Thanks, Ian. I might have gone for Omas' wooden pens if they had not been so (bleep) expensive.
I don't use them that often but I have no recollection of ever having had any problems with the (smooth) nib, so you may well be right that it is hand tuned. They are also available in a darker, blackish wood, of which the name eludes me at the moment. Funny thing is that while I had never seen these pens in the wild, except for my own, the notary who was involved in the transfer of my house some years ago had a BP+MP set of the black variety. Since I bought my pens in Germany, that was quite a surprise.

ddustinn
August 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
The Edison is very tempting - I wouldn't mind having one myself. The Aurora doesn't really appeal to me, but if you want to try something you don't have yet, I would say the Aurora would be your best bet. They seem to be well reviewed.

writingrav
August 6th, 2012, 10:46 AM
The problem with waiting to make this decision ( I plan to decide by this Friday) is that I've already added one or two other possibilities that I won't even trouble you with. But by Monday at the latest, something will have been purchased.

ianmedium
August 6th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Trouble us, trouble us, remember, we have all gone past the dark side so more the merrier :bounce:

writingrav
August 6th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Trouble us, trouble us, remember, we have all gone past the dark side so more the merrier :bounce:

Ok so one thought was to add to my safari collection but with one of those are custom barrels by Penchetta that I think it was Okami had in her pen carry. The other was one the Veruna Gajendra from Andy's pens. (blame both of these on FP Geeks. Actually blame all of these on them.) But, believe it or not I'm still leaning toward the Ipsilon. Friday is my self imposed mulling deadline.

ianmedium
August 7th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I am going to have to look at the other two you mention as I have not seen the custom barrels or heard of the veruna!

I must admit the more I read about the history of Aurora the more I feel it is one of those brands that one must have at least one in the collection! Not sure what model it is but I saw one with I think a vermile cap that was lined and it looked absolutely beautiful! Will try to find the model name!

ianmedium
August 7th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Ah, found it! It was in fact a sterling silver cap with gold trim, the 88-803 here is a link to it on penasias site, now that is a pen!

http://www.pensinasia.com/new/product/aurora/aurora_88_ottantotto_silver_linear_grande_803_foun tain_pen_133.html

writingrav
August 7th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Ah, found it! It was in fact a sterling silver cap with gold trim, the 88-803 here is a link to it on penasias site, now that is a pen!

http://www.pensinasia.com/new/product/aurora/aurora_88_ottantotto_silver_linear_grande_803_foun tain_pen_133.html

Thanks. Yes, its a beauty, but, I think, in a different price category.

FP_GaF
August 7th, 2012, 02:32 PM
The other was one the Veruna Gajendra from Andy's pens. (blame both of these on FP Geeks. Actually blame all of these on them.)

I just ordered a Varuna Bamboo from Andy today. An ebonite pen from India with a German fine nib unit. One of the most beautiful pens I have ever seen and entirely hand-made. They have quite a few awesome pens in their programme. I will wait for this one to arrive and then decide upon potential future purchases...

I can report back if there is interest.

peterpen53
August 8th, 2012, 03:03 AM

The modern Aurora 88 is a very nice and large pen. I'm on the look out for one. One thing that is always highlighted in relation to Aurora is they still make their own nibs and they make a very wide selection at that, in fact almost every type of nib you can think of. They have once offered a so called calligraphic pen-set that included most types of nib they make (even reverse obliques) and it is made up of 11(!) fountain pens (nibs.com still carries it on special order http://www.nibs.com/AuroraCalligraphySet.htm).
I have one Optima myself with a medium nib and although plenty smooth it also provides quite a bit of feedback, which seems common in Aurora nibs.

Maja
August 8th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Ok so one thought was to add to my safari collection but with one of those are custom barrels by Penchetta that I think it was Okami had in her pen carry. The other was one the Veruna Gajendra from Andy's pens. (blame both of these on FP Geeks. Actually blame all of these on them.) But, believe it or not I'm still leaning toward the Ipsilon. Friday is my self imposed mulling deadline.

I have two customized Lamy Safari barrels by Penchetta pens. I posted about them here:
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/664-Lamy-Collection?p=5334&viewfull=1#post5334
:)

writingrav
August 8th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I have two customized Lamy Safari barrels by Penchetta pens. I posted about them here:
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/664-Lamy-Collection?p=5334&viewfull=1#post5334
:)

My mistake. It was from your post Maja that I first heard of these and became interested. If I don't get one this week it will remain on my list. Thanks.

Maja
August 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM
My mistake. It was from your post Maja that I first heard of these and became interested. If I don't get one this week it will remain on my list. Thanks.

:D You're welcome, Ira!
I didn't see another Penchetta pen on FPGeeks so I figured it was mine you saw. The custom barrels are a nice way to 'spice up' a Lamy Safari ...

writingrav
August 10th, 2012, 05:43 AM
And the winner is: Veruna Gajendra! Best pen for the price, given that it is unusual, beautiful (bought the Burgandy Ripple) and huge. As an eye-dropper I can't imagine how much it must hold. Will supply pics and mini-review when it arrives.

ddustinn
August 10th, 2012, 08:55 AM
And the winner is: Veruna Gajendra! Best pen for the price, given that it is unusual, beautiful (bought the Burgandy Ripple) and huge. As an eye-dropper I can't imagine how much it must hold. Will supply pics and mini-review when it arrives.

Very nice! Which nib option did you go with?

I've definitely got my eye on one of those. I don't have any ebonite pens yet - I want one!

writingrav
August 10th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Very nice! Which nib option did you go with?

I've definitely got my eye on one of those. I don't have any ebonite pens yet - I want one!

Standard nib and eyedropper. Had to keep the price down.

Maja
August 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM

Oh wow.....I thought it was going to be the Aurora, the Edison or the F-C.....:confused:
Oh well, enjoy your Varuna!

FP_GaF
August 11th, 2012, 02:07 AM

I think you made a good choice. My Varuna Bamboo has arrived and it is everything I hoped for and more. The German nib is perfectly tuned (maybe a tad dry) and smooth out of the box. There is plenty of ebonite in the pen but it is well balanced and quite light (just how I like it).

Anyway, this is about your purchase and not mine. Enjoy your new pen and thanks for sharing your latest pen adventure. Just goes to show that you never know where the pen path leads to next... :D

ianmedium
August 11th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Ooo, Excellent, I know nothing about these pens so your review is going to be something very much to look forward to!