PDA

View Full Version : Snoqualmie falls

tandaina
December 29th, 2014, 03:20 PM
So I didn't get anything pen related for Christmas, but I got what I *really* wanted but would never buy myself...

The Sony a7ii and the adapter to use my old manual Minolta glass with it. It's like I have my old Minolta system from the 70s back, but *better.*

Here's a shot with the Minolta MD 28mm 2.8 from yesterday. We got soaked, but it was worth it. :)

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/Art/Black-White-Study/i-96wjKxz/0/XL/DSC00216-Edit-2-XL.jpg

Jon Szanto
December 29th, 2014, 03:41 PM
An amazing place, captured well. I'm going to be in Seattle in about a week, but doubt there will be too much time for sightseeing. :(

piscov
December 29th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Amazing picture!

I am assuming the autofocus function does not work with that old Minolta lenses, Am I correct?

tandaina
December 29th, 2014, 04:06 PM
The old Minolta lenses don't *have* auto focus. ;) These are the MD/MC mount, auto nothing. Well the MD on the newer bodies would do aperture or shutter priority instead of just straight manual. But no auto focus, I learned to shoot with all manual cameras and I find even when I have the auto functions I don't use or like them. ;)

oldstoat
January 3rd, 2015, 10:18 AM
I always used the split image viewfinder on my old OM2s; how easy do you find focusing without any aids like that?

tandaina
January 3rd, 2015, 10:22 AM
I always used the split image viewfinder on my old OM2s; how easy do you find focusing without any aids like that?

With this camera? Trivial.

Lots of digital cameras make manual focus really difficult, but this one does focus peaking. I tap a button and boom, zoomed in on my focus point. Dial in the focus perfectly, shutter. So I'm finding it easier to get really super accurate focus than with my old focusing screens actually. I do a lot of landscape shots though where focus doesn't matter. Shoot with a big enough aperture on a wide angle lens like my 20mm and everything from 6" in front of the lens to the horizon is in focus. ;)

oldstoat
January 3rd, 2015, 10:50 AM
Aha- you're from the Ansel Adams f/64 school!
There was a stunning exhibition of his photography at the National Maritime Museum in 2013 ( nearly said last year there!) and the quality of the images when blown up to several feet across was breathtaking.