PDA

View Full Version : Pen Values

RayCornett
December 29th, 2014, 06:07 PM
I have a 1915/18 Waterman 512 1/2 PSF with a solid 14k overlay on the barrel and cap. It is a little dinged up but being that I am learning jewelry making it can be easily repaired. It is also missing the clip which after contacting FP hospital would cost around $125 to replace with an original clip.

In researching the pen I don't seem to be finding this specific pen but find a lot of this pen with filigree and other designs on the barrel.

I was wondering if anyone might have any clue as to the approximate value of the pen with and without the clip. Being that the overlay is solid 14k I know it's going to at least have some decent value from the gold content alone. Depending on its value it is one pen I might consider getting rid of to obtain another pen I would like.

And who whoever suggested the faint model number and company imprint on the hard rubber on the end of the barrel was not worn but clogged with decades of gunk, thank you. I took a dry cloth and just merely rubbed for a few seconds and the imprint is much more visible. Still worn but I see words, dates, and part of words and model numbers I did not see before.

EDIT- I have recently found different versions of this pen with different engravings. I noticed a couple of them have 14k and Waterman ideal on the lip of the pen cap. Mine only has 14k stamped on it. I assume the main difference is the year of production?

david i
January 3rd, 2015, 05:54 AM
Note that replacement clip should be 14k as well.

Pattern can grossly affect price.

regards

d

RayCornett
January 21st, 2015, 03:42 AM
Definitely. The clips was 14k. But a bit rich for my blood currently. On a side not since I have been adding the 0 in front of 512 1/2 PSF in my searches for information lately I have not really found alot of information but see many more versions of the pen with gorgeous engraving. I am not sure how old the prices I have seen were but one was restored and in basically pristine condition for a mere $225 which I feel is on the cheap side. I also added an additional question to my initial post for anyone who may have information.

Farmboy
January 21st, 2015, 09:39 PM
What pattern is the overlay.

RayCornett
January 22nd, 2015, 01:52 AM
No pattern. Completely smooth with the exception of the initials E.W in gorgeous hand engraved script. The odd thing to me about the engraving is the alignment. I would think it would be placed exactly opposite the lever on the other side. But if you hold the pen with the nib pointing toward your face with the lever at "12 oclock" the engraving is at "9 oclock".

If I can acquire the clip and the double rivet,etc to attach it to the clip I have someone who can place it for me. A jeweler who used to work on and hand engrave FPs years ago.

RayCornett
January 23rd, 2015, 03:48 AM
I just may have found an original replacement clip for a reasonable price. I sent an email to see if it was still available.

Also, I finally got a really good look at what is printed on the sides of the lever. Abbreviation for "Patent applied for" on one side, and "Patent approved 28-03" which I assume is 28th of March.

EDIT- I have indeed located a clip and it is a considerable amount less than the $125 that I was quoted by.........the Hospital. Now. to secure the fundage........

Procyon
January 24th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Just a suggestion Ray. Your pictures are so large, they are extremely hard to see. Try resizing them to about 800 or 1000 pixels in width.

RayCornett
January 28th, 2015, 05:56 AM
Jut found out the clip I located is nickel plated in 14k. Not authentic as I had been thinking...........

ainterne
February 9th, 2015, 06:20 AM
In case this is of any use to you... Have you seen the book "Waterman Past and Present The First Six Decades".. Also his site is http://www.vintagewatermanpens.com/product-category/clips/ You might find something there also.

No doubt you have looked here? http://www.vintagepens.com/vintage_pens_catalog.shtml

RayCornett
June 15th, 2015, 10:18 PM
In case this is of any use to you... Have you seen the book "Waterman Past and Present The First Six Decades".. Also his site is http://www.vintagewatermanpens.com/product-category/clips/ You might find something there also.

No doubt you have looked here? http://www.vintagepens.com/vintage_pens_catalog.shtml

Ironically I have looked at the pens on their website, especially the same model as I have, but never contact them about the possibility of them having a clip in their spare parts. But I just fired off the email to them. Crossing fingers!

Hawk
June 15th, 2015, 10:24 PM
How about: Patent April 28, 1903 on the side of the lever.

RayCornett
June 15th, 2015, 10:26 PM
How about: Patent April 28, 1903 on the side of the lever.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Hawk
June 16th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Look at the your top photo.

RayCornett
June 16th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Look at the your top photo.

I see that. I posted it. I am still not clear at all what you're getting at. You might as well tell me to look at a stick,lol.

tandaina
June 16th, 2015, 07:07 PM
It isn't Approved it is April is what Hawk is driving at. ;)

So that makes it April 28 1903. Instead of March 28. (March 28 doesn't make much sense as patents care most about year).

RayCornett
June 17th, 2015, 02:24 PM
It isn't Approved it is April is what Hawk is driving at. ;)

So that makes it April 28 1903. Instead of March 28. (March 28 doesn't make much sense as patents care most about year).

Oh! I see what he meant now :)

I guess it took a while to be approved since their first lever fillers were not released until 1915.

However, in the early days there was a time when the month and date were listed as Day/Month instead of Month/Day. This is why I was saying the patent was approved(apr) on March 28th. The lever is tiny so they couldn't fit the entire word approved on the lever. I had to use a loupe to get the picture.

Hawk
June 17th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Ray, I did some research since you said the first lever fillers were released in 1915. John Barnes of Rockford, IL invented the lever filler and received US Pat. 726,495 with a publication date of Apr. 28, 03. He had no use for it (wow!) so he sold the rights to L. E. Waterman. Does this close the loop for you? BTW, thanks for making me curious about the date gap, I had fun tapping on my iPad trying to satisfy my small brain.

RayCornett
June 17th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Ray, I did some research since you said the first lever fillers were released in 1915. John Barnes of Rockford, IL invented the lever filler and received US Pat. 726,495 with a publication date of Apr. 28, 03. He had no use for it (wow!) so he sold the rights to L. E. Waterman. Does this close the loop for you? BTW, thanks for making me curious about the date gap, I had fun tapping on my iPad trying to satisfy my small brain.

Well, the loop I am trying to close was value initially but I did learn a couple things from your information. I was looking just today for the patent information again but didn't see it. Interesting to know that it was indeed April 28,03! Your information explains why there is such a time gap between the patent approval and the release of the pen.

I keep forgetting I even have this post here until someone replies again. Since my initial post I realized that adding a 0 to the 512 1/2 psf when searching helped immensely in finding other pens just like mine and seeing what they have been going for.

Hawk
June 17th, 2015, 06:31 PM
I have a 0552 1/2 L. E. C. My lever does not have the patent markings on the sides. Perhaps, yours is earlier than mine.

RayCornett
June 17th, 2015, 06:40 PM
I have a 0552 1/2 L. E. C. My lever does not have the patent markings on the sides. Perhaps, yours is earlier than mine.

Thats a lovely pen. Funny thing about mine is the 0512 is supposed to be an eyedropper but I have never seen an ED with a lever,lol. Misprint perhaps?

Hawk
June 17th, 2015, 07:01 PM
No misprint. According to David Nishimura for pre-1917 pens: lever-filler = 1 in the tens place, PSF suffix (P indicates screw-cap.
So your pen is a solid gold overlay, screw cap, #2 nib, and the slender model.

RayCornett
June 17th, 2015, 07:26 PM
No misprint. According to David Nishimura for pre-1917 pens: lever-filler = 1 in the tens place, PSF suffix (P indicates screw-cap.
So your pen is a solid gold overlay, screw cap, #2 nib, and the slender model.

Yep. I just got an explanation from David Isaacson a few minutes ago.