PDA

View Full Version : Hand-made envelopes

migo984
January 1st, 2015, 08:10 AM
Have been having fun making envelopes (C6) from some lovely decorative papers. As they don't actually weigh too much, I'll be using these to send letters to some of my pen pals.

I'm making a few more, to offer as a PIF, which I'll post later today.

Laura N
January 1st, 2015, 09:00 AM
That's a nice idea. Do you have a template you use?

migo984
January 1st, 2015, 10:06 AM
That's a nice idea. Do you have a template you use?

Hi Laura - yes I have a very simple plastic template that cost me about £2 from an eBay seller. It only makes 1 size. You can get much more expensive templates that can be used to make various sizes, but it's just as easy to use an existing envelope & unstick it to make act as a make-do template.

Crazyorange
January 2nd, 2015, 01:36 PM
Where do you get the colored paper from?

Dreck
January 2nd, 2015, 02:43 PM
I get mine from United Art & Education http://www.unitednow.com

Archiver's Annex has some good stuff, too. http://www.archiversannex.com

Chrissy
January 3rd, 2015, 05:14 AM
It's great making your own envelopes. I love it and I also bought a template on ebay. It only makes C6 sized envelopes though. That's about as big as you can get with A4 paper.

Once you find an envelope you like, you can not only unstick it, but then you can make a cardboard template from it. If you use wrapping paper, you don't have the A4 width limit problem.

I even bought a fantastic Japanese gadget that cuts 3 different sizes of rounded corners.

fncll
January 13th, 2015, 09:59 AM
I've deconstructed various envelopes and made vinyl/plastic templates from them, cut from vinyl/plastic file folders. They last forever. I also have a few commercial templates from Ebay and a little envelope score-board thing that works pretty well...but I keep going back to my handmade templates!

cwent2
January 13th, 2015, 02:11 PM
I was using the same concept as fncll, cept with regular file folders - plastic file folders sound like they would hold up longer

Think outside the box

Thanks fncll

caribbean_skye
January 13th, 2015, 05:14 PM
fncll and cwent2 are being fancy, i just use cereal boxes to create my template

mrcharlie
January 13th, 2015, 07:00 PM
I've also used paperboard boxes such as cereal boxes. I also used the thick cover of a large calendar for one. Any thin sheet of plastic sounds like a win though.

I'll add a plug for some US Letter sized envelope templates (http://www.deathstar.org/~cmc/envelopes/) I made and are available for printing (PDFs) or modification (original open office draw files). They include templates for A-6, C6 (euro size), 6-Baronial, #10 (works best when used on larger than USLetter sized paper with slightly larger flaps). Also A-1 standard size and a slightly larger than A-1 that can be cut from a 6x9 page.

Any can be printed and transferred to a paperboard or plastic sheet for a quick template. The ready made stencil templates I've seen that you can buy are pretty cool though.

VertOlive
January 14th, 2015, 09:29 AM
I find nice papers while wandering craft stores in the scrapbook and origami sections. Or interesting calendars. Or glossy magazine covers. Or sheet music...

Part of the fun is finding the paper in un-looked for places!

MelanieWI
January 14th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I have the plastic version that's sold at craft stores. So far I've only had success with it when I've used cardstock or other heavier papers. I'd love to use things like magazine pages--any tips to keep them from tearing?

migo984
January 15th, 2015, 02:16 AM
Been lining a few envelopes to add more structure to flimsier papers. It's fun mixing and matching.

Dreck
January 15th, 2015, 04:10 AM
I have the plastic version that's sold at craft stores. So far I've only had success with it when I've used cardstock or other heavier papers. I'd love to use things like magazine pages--any tips to keep them from tearing?

You could reinforce the inside folds with tape; either packing tape or Scotch tape.

What is this about templates? I just fold the would-be envelope around my letter; kind of like gift-wrapping it.

Chrissy
January 15th, 2015, 04:42 AM
I use magazine papers, and have had much success with recycling old Montblanc catalogues. You can also recycle old maps to make envelopes from. They look fabulous with a map on the inside, and they often have plain backs that are a good surface to write on!

I don't feel there is any problem with the weight of most papers. If you look at normal envelopes they aren't particularly thick. If the paper is a bit see through, you can always line them. For that you need to make a slightly smaller template.

phonelady61
January 15th, 2015, 07:55 AM
I use old paper maps for envelopes and everyone loves them that I send them too they are so much fun .

MelanieWI
January 15th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Thanks, all...I'll try the lining idea. What I have found with the plastic template/punch machine thingy is that when I try to score the paper, it tears when I use the plastic scoring tool. But I haven't played with it all that much, so I'll keep experimenting.

migo984
January 16th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Thanks, all...I'll try the lining idea. What I have found with the plastic template/punch machine thingy is that when I try to score the paper, it tears when I use the plastic scoring tool. But I haven't played with it all that much, so I'll keep experimenting.

I always use a very sharp bladed craft knife or scalpel, such as X-acto, and a metal safety ruler, to cut paper & card. Renew the blade regularly (paper takes the edge off blades surprisingly quickly) and you'll be able to cut flimsy/soft paper without a problem.

fncll
January 17th, 2015, 12:22 PM

My advice: don't use the scoring tool that comes with the kit--it was too sharp edged; I just use a regular paper folder/creasing tool available at any craft store--or use a really light touch. With many thin/fragile papers the score line is mostly there for you to know where to fold, scoring not really necessary to making a good fold.

Jon Szanto
January 17th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Been lining a few envelopes to add more structure to flimsier papers. It's fun mixing and matching.

Boy, that makes me want to write YOU a letter!

ypsilanti
January 17th, 2015, 01:15 PM
I have envelope templates purchased from JetPens, which are terrific -- but I haven't used them in awhile. I've simply been tri-folding paper. Super-easy and scissor-free. Just need a straight edge and a blade. I use the sticky-roller thingies (http://www.michaels.com/tombow-mono-permanent-adhesive/10216739.html) to avoid the mess of a glue stick.

Recently bought a high school yearbook from the 1940s that's going to make awesome envelopes!

migo984
January 17th, 2015, 01:50 PM

Boy, that makes me want to write YOU a letter!

Send me a PM with your address and I'll write to you using one of my handmade envelopes, if you'd like?

TMLee
January 20th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Cool :thumb:

Hmmm ...
I wanna try doing the lining.

Can you show me a pic of a lining BEFORE its attached to the envelope?
I want to know what size it is.

TIA

:-)

migo984
January 21st, 2015, 12:21 PM

Hmmm ...

TIA

Here's a pic of a lining attached to the inside of an unconstructed C6 envelope. The second pic is the envelope after glueing. I only line the top flap & the front of the body of the envelope. I leave the flaps & back unlined. This saves weight & paper.

Sinister Scribbler
January 21st, 2015, 05:19 PM
Hi Migo. Your envelopes are beautiful. I've made lots of envelopes over many years but never thought to line one.
Do you attach the lining all the way around or just at the flap area? Do you use a glue stick?

TMLee
January 21st, 2015, 06:06 PM

Hmmm ...
Now where to find such nice , thin decorative paper ?

migo984
January 21st, 2015, 06:34 PM
Hi Migo. Your envelopes are beautiful. I've made lots of envelopes over many years but never thought to line one.
Do you attach the lining all the way around or just at the flap area? Do you use a glue stick?

Thank you :) I've only started making them recently, since I stopped working & had the time......

I usually glue the whole lining piece, to make it secure. I mainly use a glue stick but some of the papers I use are very thin and/or semi-transparent, so then I use one of those squeezy tubes of cheap children's transparent (not PVA) liquid paper & card glue.

migo984
January 21st, 2015, 06:35 PM

Hmmm ...
Now where to find such nice , thin decorative paper ?

Try scrapbooking papers, origami paper, educational art suppliers, old magazines, wallpaper, wrapping paper etc etc.

Lady Onogaro
January 21st, 2015, 06:41 PM
I got a letter with a lined envelope that VertOlive made; I've kept the lining and use it as a pretty bookmark. It is an oriental pattern--it made me feel she was thinking especially of me. :)

Jon Szanto
January 24th, 2015, 06:08 PM
I am so happy: I just received a letter today from Migo, and it is wrapped in all manner of handsome beauty. I'm actually saving reading the letter for my wait backstage at the opera tonight. Once read, I'll find a way to post a pic, it is so wonderful.

Migo, yours should arrive soon, mailed a couple days ago. :)

Sailor Kenshin
January 24th, 2015, 06:16 PM

Hmmm ...

TIA

Here's a pic of a lining attached to the inside of an unconstructed C6 envelope. The second pic is the envelope after glueing. I only line the top flap & the front of the body of the envelope. I leave the flaps & back unlined. This saves weight & paper.

Inspirational!