Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ink Sample

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Mystery Ink Sample

FPG friends,

Klpeabody and I thought it would be fun to send a mystery ink sample to a few ink fans willing to evaluate it and write about their impressions in this thread. It’s mostly for fun, and to try something a little “outside of the box,” but it’s also an experiment. Looking at our own ink purchases, we wonder if we don’t approach a new ink with preconceptions based on marketing, brand, scarcity, internet hype, comments by reviewers, photos or scans, etc. And would we have different reactions to an ink we know nothing about? Would we like it more or less? Things like that.

It’s not intended as any sort of test, or to see who can guess the ink. We just want to see what people think about an ink with no preconceptions at all. Again, just for fun.

Here’s what we will do: We’ll send, at our expense, a standard size sample (about 2 ml) of the ink to a few folks who think it would be fun. It won’t be a notoriously high maintenance or controversial ink. Of course, any ink is used with some risk, and so we would counsel normal discretion, as with any new ink.

The first mystery ink is one that neither of us has tried, and that seems to receive mixed reactions. We chose it because we thought it might lead to an interesting discussion.

We already have a few FPG members who have kindly volunteered. If you’d like to participate, please post here. Tell us where you live (just the state or country) and why you’d like to get the mystery ink sample, so we can pick a few more participants. We are aiming for perhaps five or six participants this first time. But we have no idea if anyone will want to do it, or how many, so we’ll see how it goes. If people enjoy the idea and the experience, we’ll do it again.

Our only “rule” is that if you participate, we’d like you to put the ink into use relatively quickly and agree to contribute your reactions and impressions to this thread. You don’t need to write a formal or lengthy review at all — just a conversation.
    Last edited by Laura N; January 4th, 2015 at 12:52 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Cob (January 4th, 2015), jde (January 5th, 2015), klpeabody (January 11th, 2015), Neo (January 4th, 2015), reprieve (January 4th, 2015), RuiFromUK (January 14th, 2015), TerraNoir (January 4th, 2015), VertOlive (January 4th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Default Re: Mystery Ink Sample

I'd like to participate. I have a lot* of inks, & keep buying more, but don't always evaluate them or consider how they are different to others I already have. This would make me think about the properties of the ink I'm sampling. And it'd be fun.

I'm in the UK.

migo984

*c. 170 bottles.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

I cannot hope to compete with Migo (who could?) but I'd be happy to take part - if you don't mind sending to England.

Best wishes and thanks for a great idea.

Cob

Thanks

That sounds like fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Sounds interesting. I can has?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I'd like to take part! I love messing about with inks and would be happy to be part of the conversation. I'm in Michigan.

For what it's worth, I have yet to see Kenshin unable to identify the inks in my letters...
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

I would love to have a go at this, but I'm also in England. So if you don't need any more Brits I will understand.

It would be great to try out and evaluate any ink without preconceptions about it's branding or popularity

Thanks

Fantastic, and thank you all for the responses so far. We are very excited. Ink fans are the best. Because we already had a few early volunteers, I think we are inclined right now to try to limit this first mystery ink sample to the first three posters. So, Cob, please PM me your address. I believe I already have addresses for migo984 and Neo.

But we don't want to leave anyone out, and we'd love to hear everyone's opinions. What we're thinking is, if we can find a few more people who want to participate, we'll send out a second mystery ink. So let's see if we can scare up some more mystery ink fans among FPG members. Again, it is great when posters indicate generally where they live, if it's not in their profile, and why they are interested. The first helps us plan shipping, and the second is fun to read.

If we can't find enough for a second ink, we'll just do a bigger first run than planned, so we can include Sailor Kenshin, Vert Olive and Chrissy.

The second ink we're thinking of is a good one, too. It might be a more popular ink, in truth.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 5th, 2015), Neo (January 4th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (January 5th, 2015), VertOlive (January 4th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I'd be willing to blind test. I'm in the Seattle area, Washington, USA.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Wonderful!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Default Mystery Ink Sample

I would love a try at a mystery. My life is so boring....mystery ink could be the perk in the month

Thanks

Perfect, then I think we have two full slates of volunteers. If tandaina, Sailor Kenshin and Vert Olive could PM me their addresses, I would be grateful. Watch this space for more information on the second ink.

Thanks

I just wanted to quickly say that I am very encouraged by all of the interest in this idea! I really appreciate everyone's participation. I think this is going to be quite a bit of fun, and I look forward to all of the comments and observations.
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

Neo (January 5th, 2015), reprieve (January 4th, 2015)

Thanks

Please can you advise whether I was included or not in the end as you didn't ask for my address? It's probably because you already have it.

Thanks

I'd be interested in this also, if there is a future round at some point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Please can you advise whether I was included or not in the end as you didn't ask for my address? It's probably because you already have it.
    Hi Chrissy, sorry if it wasn't clear; I believe that everyone who expressed interest prior to Laura's last post from yesterday will be receiving a vial of mystery ink. Due to the number of individuals interested, there will actually be two different groups with two different mystery inks sent. It's my understanding that Laura already has your address.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klpeabody View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Hi Chrissy, sorry if it wasn't clear; I believe that everyone who expressed interest prior to Laura's last post from yesterday will be receiving a vial of mystery ink. Due to the number of individuals interested, there will actually be two different groups with two different mystery inks sent. It's my understanding that Laura already has your address.
    That's great. I just wanted to make sure since I wasn't mentioned in Laura's last mesage, but I was in her previous one
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 5th, 2015 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgtstretch View Post
    I'd be interested in this also, if there is a future round at some point.
    Thanks so much for your interest in our little project. I think we plan to do more of these, provided that there is ongoing interest, of course.

Thanks

Thank you. I have everyone's addresses who volunteered in the first 11 posts. Sorry for any confusion; family emergency here. Assuming all goes well, I should be able to ship this week. We are looking forward to it!

Thanks

Alright, I just mailed the UK inks off today. Those are going to migo984, Cob and Chrissy. Because international mail takes longer, I am glad I could give those packages a slight head start.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Cob (January 11th, 2015), klpeabody (January 11th, 2015)