Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goulet Pens - Very Good

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Re: Goulet Pens - Very Good

I am less enamored by the Goulet Pen company. I think that their level of plastic (and other freebies) in their packaging is wasteful and unnecessary, and I have found that their packing turn-around times are not as fast as some other smaller vendors. I also find that the speed with which they sell out items is aggravating, so I simply purchase from other vendors, came the same quality product--sometimes for less money--sometimes more quickly--and with less wasteful packaging. And nothing has ever arrived damaged, not even from China or Japan. They told me that it is because they don't want returns that they use so much plastic, but I have never received a damaged pen-related item from anywhere on the planet. Really, I think that that is a weak excuse not to use a more bio-degradable product and use less of it.

Lollipops? Really, folks? I chuck mine right out (It is not healthy for you). Why send your customers a body pollutant?

Thanks

Bought from Goulet Pens twice so far. Its not the packaging that wins me over (I do like the lollipop the one time I got it but I just see it as a cute extra but not a big deal), but I feel like it's one of the many thoughtful details that this company seems "known for". I feel like that extra effort is part of their brand, and that gives me positive vibes about buying there. I do agree some things are more expensive there than elsewhere, but if it's a matter of a couple of dollars difference I'd buy from Goulet, especially if I was already going to buy something else from them.
    • YouTube videos - I feel that this is something that makes Goulet more visible to potential customers, yes, but I have learned details about products and how to use them through these videos. It feels very clear to me that they spend a lot of time and thought on giving people as many answers to potential questions as they can in each video.
    • Social media - YouTube is an example, periscope, Instagram (I think their Monday ink matchup contest is a great idea), twitter, newsletter, blog, contests (I loved their thanksgiving one), are others. These all give me the impression that this is a company that is with the times. The are trying to engage the community where they are.
    • things they offer I hadnt seen elsewhere - monthly ink drop subscription, mini notebook sampler set to test different paper types, ink sample sets, etc.
    • website - and their website is really nice. Its easy to navigate both on my PC or tablet. It's got a clean design, and its very easy to narrow down a search by brand, color, properties, what have you. The pictures are professional. Where applicable product pages have videos embedded. The website has comparison tools of writing samples. It allows users to review products. It allows users to ask questions on a product on the product page.

If all those things appeal, it makes for a positive experiance.

Thanks

I've been able to find alternative online stores for my last handful of orders.

Thanks

My father used to do some maintenance on the USPS automatic sorting machines. They are something of a monstrosity. He is an engineer and was impressed at the rate they process the vast majority of mail quite successfully. You have to consider the volume they deal with. I doubt any other country sees the volume of traffic they handle except maybe China. The main issue he saw was machines going out of calibration or just getting dirty. There is a lot of paper dust generated during automated handling. So, it is likely, the machine reader misread the package address in the bar code, or couldn't read it. It may have kicked it for human sorting which introduces human errors, etc.

There is also the issue of terrorism. This does cause a lot more interest in the actual content of a package. It has to if for no other reason than the safety of postal employees. Since explosives, for instance, can be in a binary liquid form, safer for shipping that way. It could be any package imaged via x-ray and shown to contain liquids was shipped for closer imaging and inspection. Not to mention things like chemical war agents and so on. The problem is that you have no idea what some person might do terror wise. So the only thing you can do is inspect more closely and institute safe guards - and hope it is enough knowing it probably will not be at some point. I don't know this directly like the above issue. But, I used to be involved in military intell and some corporate security so I think it likely.

Combine the issues of shear volume and greatly enhanced security you end up with a tremendously difficult problem. When I worked for Boeing at a small engineering site we had to build a separate, enclosed and ventilated set of rooms just to handle the mail our small outfit had to handle. It also had one full wall of plexiglass so someone outside could monitor the safety of those working inside. It is a huge problem. The USPS is really between a rock and a hard place because of it. Nobody does the volume they do and delivers the vast majority of packages and letters problem free I think for the price they do it. I got a pen shipped from a seller recently via USPS priority mail. It arrived in close 24 hours from the east coast to Colorado for six bucks. Not bad I think. I'm not being a USPS fan, just that there really is an almost unimaginable challenge caused by the world's current security situation and the volume of material they ship. Not saying there isn't room for improvement either though...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Armstrong, I am incredibly grateful for USPS and other delivery outfits. I live in a rural area in a corner of the country, and I receive everything mailed to me, and all I have to do in return is put a letter in my mailbox, put the flag up, and it goes to any other corner of the globe. I get pens sent in tiny envelopes from tiny shops in Guonzhou right to my little mailbox in Cornerville, USA, for crying out loud. How good is that!

Thanks

Sure thing. I didn't mean to sound gripey if I did. It is just an issue most people don't have an inside look at.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Willems View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Thanks. That could explain it.
    A company I worked for once sent a container to St. Petersburg, Florida instead of St. Petersburg, Russia. That took nearly a million dollars to rectify. Silly little mistakes
    There is an Elm Street and Elm Court in the same city I live in. This means that there is a crap shoot as to whether I will get my package! Since st and ct look too much alike.
    Be Here Now

Thanks

I'm a Goulet fan myself. Great customer service. The people handling service actually know about the products and have actual knowledge to help recommend pens and inks to meet needs. Response to problems is also quick.
    I could wish they had more selection, but any source will sometimes not have something you want. I haven't found any better selection anywhere else. Pricing is very competitive. The videos are very informative.
    Abby Wool
    Lamy lover

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I am less enamored by the Goulet Pen company. I think that their level of plastic (and other freebies) in their packaging is wasteful and unnecessary, and I have found that their packing turn-around times are not as fast as some other smaller vendors. I also find that the speed with which they sell out items is aggravating, so I simply purchase from other vendors, came the same quality product--sometimes for less money--sometimes more quickly--and with less wasteful packaging. And nothing has ever arrived damaged, not even from China or Japan. They told me that it is because they don't want returns that they use so much plastic, but I have never received a damaged pen-related item from anywhere on the planet. Really, I think that that is a weak excuse not to use a more bio-degradable product and use less of it.

Lollipops? Really, folks? I chuck mine right out (It is not healthy for you). Why send your customers a body pollutant?
    Oh my gosh, it's like you're my twin. Agreed on all points. And mostly I just can't get past the prices. When they started their prices seemed like everyone else, except they also offered a discount, but once they became the Amazon of internet pen and ink retailers, their prices seemed to go higher, and their shipping charges are also extremely high, at least to me in Chicago.

But they've been so successful, so full credit to them for knowing how to run their business. It's just the premium they charge isn't justified for me, and really isn't affordable for me. There are so many other great retailers who offer lower prices and free shipping, with occasional sales and discounts, and I prefer that model of internet business.

However, total respect to those who do choose them. If you get value from the videos and the other marketing materials then shopping there is perfect. I think it's great to have a lot of different options.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 1st, 2016), TSherbs (August 31st, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post

Oh my gosh, it's like you're my twin. Agreed on all points. And mostly I just can't get past the prices. When they started their prices seemed like everyone else, except they also offered a discount, but once they became the Amazon of internet pen and ink retailers, their prices seemed to go higher, and their shipping charges are also extremely high, at least to me in Chicago.

But they've been so successful, so full credit to them for knowing how to run their business. It's just the premium they charge isn't justified for me, and really isn't affordable for me. There are so many other great retailers who offer lower prices and free shipping, with occasional sales and discounts, and I prefer that model of internet business.

However, total respect to those who do choose them. If you get value from the videos and the other marketing materials then shopping there is perfect. I think it's great to have a lot of different options.
    Cult Pens in the UK also include sugary globules of porcine blubber which I somewhat grudgingly ingest whilst checking all that I ordered is intact and as specified.

I will and do shop elsewhere if the price is better and the service satisfactory.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post

Then we are a triplet!
    It's not that Goulet is bad, but everything good that is said about them being knowledgeable also applies to Vanness, AndersonPens, Pentooling, Woodbin, and pretty much every fountain pen vendors I've dealt with. My favorite is still Vanness, they have a purchase minimum for free shipping, which I gladly fulfill resulting in larger amount per order. And more importantly, repeat orders from me.

And I agree about the packing used as an excuse to charge expensive S/H cost. That is not very classy in my book.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

13. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (September 4th, 2016)