Thread: Singing the praises of Apica notebooks

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Default Singing the praises of Apica notebooks

I recently had a conundrum involving choosing fountain pens for being away from home for an extended period of time. Well, I have started that extended period I ended up narrowing my choice down to two. Both being Sheaffer Snorkels. The Clipper with an X4 nib and Noodler's Black eel, as well as the Statesman with an F nib and Diamine Rustic Brown.
    I was instructed, by the teacher I am apprenticing with, to bring a notebook and I chose to finally put one of the 3 Apica CD 15 notebooks I was gifted a while back.
    I am not a fan of lined notebooks/journals but in this case the lines come in handy as I often have to write in cramped spots in a jewelers workshop. I have been more than impressed with this notebook. Even with an X4 nib this paper has come off as very smooth and a pure pleasure to write on and I love the sound of such a fine nib on nice paper. It handles normal speed writing, fast writing, my style of mixing print with cursive at random, with ease. No feathering. No complaints at all. But I do recommend having a sheet of blotter paper tucked into the notebook for use if you have to close the notebook quickly soon after writing. Noodler's Black Eel being a lubricated wet ink will transfer to the page across from it if closed to soon. I have yet to try my Statesman with Diamine Rustic Brown with the notebook but will probably do so tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RayCornett For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (April 23rd, 2017), akapulko2020 (December 11th, 2016), cwent2 (January 8th, 2015), earthdawn (January 9th, 2015), jde (January 15th, 2015), Jeph (January 13th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (July 26th, 2016), Mr. Reader (December 29th, 2015), naimitsu (March 2nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Default Re: Singing the praises of Apica notebooks

I agree Ray... I have a few of these and out of all the notebooks I have... and I have a LARGE pile, this is the one I chose as my Ink Journal to keep track of what inks are in what pens. It leaves a very "true" view of the ink color and its shading, if any, as well as being very consistent.

Rhodia Dot pads are still my favorite BUT the Apica was what I chose for this task.

And they are very durable!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

I also have a great appreciation of Apica notebooks of all sizes.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

I love Apica, more than Rhodia!!
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Conceived in New Jersey, living in South Texas
    Thanks

I wish other would make notebooks in the format of the "Webbie".

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willieboy View Post
    I wish other would make notebooks in the format of the "Webbie".
    Why would you wish this? What do you see as advantages or what are the "webbie" characteristics you like that others do not have? I do like the webbie, I used it as my 2nd bullet journal, it just did not have enough pages for me. Also, I know it is a small thing but I did not like the striated imprint the rubber band made on the black cover because it was so tight. I may go back to it though.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks

A friend of mine gave me two of these A5 C.D. Premium Notebooks by Apica. I tried them this evening. I couldn't wait until tomorrow. I love them. She also gave me a Rhodia Webnotebook too. I love how the C.D. Notebook lays flat. I think this paper is also just a little smoother than the Rhodia Webnotebook. I will have to use them more, to say for sure which I like better. They each have things at this point, that I like better than the other. I do like the rounded edge of the Webbie better. I like how the C.D. lays completely flat, more so than the Webbie. I like the color of the C.D. paper more, it showed shading more in the color I was using. The Rhodia Webnotebook said the paper was 90g paper, made by Clairefontaine. Now that shocked me. I thought Rhodia used their own paper in the Webbie. I love the paper from all three brands I mentioned, so that is NOT a problem at all. At this point I am thrilled with the Apica C.D. Notebook in the A5 size. It is excellent, in my opinion. I am new to fountain pens, paper, and ink. But this paper was very nice. I will probably not be buying any more Field Notes books again! (or Moleskine either) I still have a few left. I do like them for their small size though. The A5 or B5 is closer to what I would use for most occasions though.
    Last edited by KKay; December 29th, 2015 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

The more I read about Apica notebooks the more I am tempted to try one. Sadly, living in the UK they aren't so easily obtainable, and afaik have to be bought from Japanese sellers via Amazon.

Thanks

Chrissy, I can just about guarantee you that the 2 Premium C.D. Notebooks I just received, were bought from Amazon. My friend loves Amazon, and shops there all the time. Make sure you get the Premium one. In time I will be trying other notebooks, as I can. (I'd like to order all kinds right now, that I have on my wish list...but I have to be realistic, they are expensive)
    Last edited by KKay; February 17th, 2016 at 08:21 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KKay For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 29th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Singing the praises of Apica notebooks

I use the apica premium daily for work. The only thing I don't like about it is the length of time the ink takes to dry. Other than that, the shading is absolutely amazing. I love mine, and yes, I also think the paper is smoother than rodia. I use a web notebook for my personal journal, and am very used to that paper, but the apica is definitely smoother.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddrino For This Useful Post:

KKay (December 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Yes, I used both notebooks again today. It wasn't my imagination. The Premium C.D. Notebook is noticeably smoother than the paper in the Rhodia Webnotebook. At this point, I like the PAPER from the Apica notebook better. I am surprised by this. But that is where it stands for me. I am possibly in the minority on this. After I use them both for a while, I may change my mind. At this point though, the Apica edges the Webnotebook out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    Yes, I used both notebooks again today. It wasn't my imagination. The Premium C.D. Notebook is noticeably smoother than the paper in the Rhodia Webnotebook. At this point, I like the PAPER from the Apica notebook better. I am surprised by this. But that is where it stands for me. I am possibly in the minority on this. After I use them both for a while, I may change my mind. At this point though, the Apica edges the Webnotebook out.
    I agree with you and I also suffer some bleed through in my Webbie, that isn't present in my Apica.

Thanks

I'm a big fan of Apica CD note books I have several and are easy to get when I go to Sydney so I normally stock up,the pages are so silky smooth

Thanks

I've got an Apica graph wire bound notebook that I got with my first fountain pen. A few people recommended that Leuchturm1917 would be a similar value proposition. I definitely like the Apica paper better. It feels nice in the hand, and there is basically no bleed or show through. I do like the features of the Leuchturm though. Basically I wish that there was an Apica book with an elastic band to hold it closed.

Thanks

I enjoy using Apica notebooks too, for journaling and keeping track of my pens and inks.

Thanks

So far I only got the mini version in a set from Goulet Pens. I'm planning to get the A5 version when I next need a notebook though.

FrozenPen

I moved to the Premium C.D. after finding the paper better for my XF/XXF nibs compared to a Rhodia Webnotebook. Plus, the Apica is available in my preferred B5/5mm grid (section) format.
    I also use a piece of blotting paper cut to the same B5 size as a page divider / sticky note holder / reference page / blotter that I can move around the notebook at will. I got a 24" x 36" piece of Cosmos blotter paper for a few dollars from Dick Blick here.

Thanks

I like Apica.

But Tsubame Fools University Notebooks are my go to.

They are just as good and are really a fantastic price. I have filled dozens of these over the years. Literally bough a new one to start in on today. Along with 2 Kyonooto inks.

I prefer both over Rhodia/CF which is too chalky and has no texture. I like a little tooth. I like MD (both regular and the Tomoe River stuff) and L!fe very much as well. The L!fe pads are great when I can get them, the notebooks a little less so since they are off white and a little too dark for me. & then there is maruman Mnemosyne.

Generally Japanese papers just crush kill destroy everyone else. It isn't even close.

In heaven all paper is Made in Japan.
    Last edited by stub; March 17th, 2017 at 10:05 AM. Reason: brain damage

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (April 23rd, 2017), Rossler (March 20th, 2017)

Thanks

For UK buyers, it's always worth checking on Amazon.com before buying on Amazon.co.uk, as the prices might be different. As far as Apica notebooks are concerned, all you need to find is one Japanese seller who doesn't add on extra to ship to the UK.

I saved £4 by buying one on Amazon.com.

Thanks

I had heard of Apica CD Notebooks for a while, but on a recent stationary haul, I finally bought a few. I'm more of a dot grid or graph guy and rarely buy blank or lined paper, but I used the CD notebook as a travel journal and loved it for a recent trip. It holds up very well to my most wet writer, a retro 51 marlin FP in a medium nib. I find the A5 size perfect and I think it has the right amount of pages for something like a travel journal for maybe one trip that I can reference back instead of using something larger that I have to search through.