Thread: Conklin Duragraph

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Default Conklin Duragraph

I am interested in buying this pen--I like the color, but I have not bought any Conklin pens. I understand these are made by Yafa, and they make Monteverde pens. Has anyone bought one of these, and if so, would you give us a review of them?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Lady Onogaro; January 9th, 2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Misspelled name
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Default Re: Conklin Duragraph

image.jpgThese are the Conklin's I own.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Neo; January 9th, 2015 at 07:24 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (January 10th, 2015), Crazyorange (January 9th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (January 9th, 2015)

Conceived in New Jersey, living in South Texas
    Thanks

I have a Conklin Duragraph with the 1.1mm italic nib and it is excellent. Very nice quality and nice smooth writing.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willieboy For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 9th, 2015), sgtstretch (January 9th, 2015)

Thanks

I have the newest version of the modern Duragraph, as well as several of the Duragraph pens produced under Rob Rosen's ownership of the Conklin Brand. I find no comparison between the two. None, save maybe the #6 plated steel nibs.

The Duragraph pens made in the early 2000's (IIRC about 2004-5-6) were truly oversized pens. Somewhat like a baseball bat when posted. They had enough heft to feel like they were truly tools with which to write. They were available with either steel or 14K gold nibs. These pens had silver plated trim (I know - mine sometimes tarnish), and had the blocky, squared, engraved Conklin clip of that era. They sometimes had the typical plastic feed issues noted among pens of that era, but once sorted out they are among my favorite daily user pens. I like them well enough that between the Duragraph's, Endura's, Nozac's and Glider's I probably have a dozen pens.

Fast forward to the newest Duragraph version. This pen is smaller, lighter and to me, feels cheap. The clip is generic, as is the cap band. They have engraving, but the engraving bears no resemblance to anything Conklin that I've ever seen. In short, this pen reminds me of a near-generic Laban pen I bought in an outlet store 7 or 8 years ago, but I only paid about $20 for that one.

The resins are nice, but other than being a flat-top style this pen has little to interest me. I hope these generic pens are not the future of the brand. Meh!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveE For This Useful Post:

Fouez (February 3rd, 2015), Lady Onogaro (January 9th, 2015)