Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Platinum 3776 Grand Overview

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Default Re: Platinum 3776 Grand Overview

Quote Originally Posted by jde View Post
    Really lovely write-up!

Although the Platinum black #3776 is not the entry level Platinum pen. Maybe the entry level #3776, ay? So I think. Plenty of more inexpensive Platinums, including some with gold nibs. The converters used to really annoy me, but personally have gotten over 'em.

The celluloid versions of the #3776 are among the best in a modern pen, IMHO. The tortoise definitely should be part of your collection (although confess partiality to the brown pens).

My favorite of these nibs is the SF and the F. My eyes don't love EFs as much as they used to. As others, I too wasn't impressed by the music nib, but think I'm spoiled by custom stubs.

I used to have a lot of #3776 pens, but now only have a Platinum F nib. Still one of my most favorite nibs ever.
    I very much want a tortoise, I've been hunting ebay for a few months now, they turn up now and then but usually bid higher than I'm willing to pay. Eventually I'll snag one.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I'm not quite clear on what the difference is between the Sai and the Nice Pur. Are they the same pen?
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

No, Sai is in the limited edition line commemorating the lakes around mount Fuji. Nice Pur is in the Nice special edition line. They also look very different. Sai has no adornment or hardware and is clear. pur is frosted and has all the usual hardware.
    ---

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

da vinci (February 10th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (January 24th, 2015)

Thanks

I think the best way is an example

The Sai is like a LE numbered Edison Premiere and the Nice Pur is like a Seasonal Premiere
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

jde (January 23rd, 2015), Lady Onogaro (January 24th, 2015)

Thanks

I have a Nice Pur coming (I'm so weak), will post photos next to the Sai.
    ---

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Heads up. Nibs.com has a sale going: their Nice Pur is now... $159. Which is an insane price, lower than Engeika has the Nice (he doesn't even have the Pur). Obviously I ordered one...
    Thank you!!!!! I have been searching for weeks for a Pur at a discounted price. My order has been sent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I'm not quite clear on what the difference is between the Sai and the Nice Pur. Are they the same pen?

Lady Onogaro, it's too dark now for photos (sorry) but the differences are pretty clear (hit up Nibs.com and look at their photos.)

Sai:
    - Crystal clear
    - Smooth
    - No cap band, no band at base of pen

Nice Pur:
    - Frosted finish
    - Grooved body
    - Silver cap band and silver band at base of pen

The Pur is definitely a 3776, but side by side with the Mt. Fuji pens (Shoji, Sai) it doesn't fit at all, very different design decisions.
    ---

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 27th, 2015)

Thanks

So I inked up the Nice Pur and... I don't think I'll be buying the Nice. I'm not a fan of the frosted finish, it is rough under my fingers and the grooves in the barrel are rough and uncomfortable where they lay against the webbing between finger and thumb. It's the only 3776 I've ever picked up wasn't immediately comfortable. Hmph.
    ---

Thanks

So I inked up the Nice Pur and... I don't think I'll be buying the Nice. I'm not a fan of the frosted finish, it is rough under my fingers and the grooves in the barrel are rough and uncomfortable where they lay against the webbing between finger and thumb. It's the only 3776 I've ever picked up wasn't immediately comfortable. Hmph.
    Sorry to hear you're disappointed in the pen. I have a Chartreuse model on the way from J-subculture because of this thread. I don't know whether to thank you or shake my fist in the air. LOL. Hope your next pen is more to your liking.
    Kent

Thanks

Just got my first 3776. It's actually a Nice and not one of those reivewed here, couldn't resist a good price. I'll see how it goes but if I like it, I'll be looking for a Sakura or Koi...

and if I don't like it, given Tandaina's comments on the one she's tried, I might still be looking for a Sakura or a Koi!

Thanks

Well the flock has been added to! Lady Onogaro spotted a tortoise celluloid 3776 for sale on Etsy for $175 and she sent me a message. I think I clicked buy about 5 seconds later.

It arrived today and much like its Koi cousin the celluloid is wonderful to hold, rich yellows and black. But... And this is odd. It's as if the barrel has *shrunk.*

The Koi barrel screws onto the tortoise section as it should. But the tortoise section screws part way on and *stops.* You *can* make it go the rest of the way but doing so means... Well right now I can't get it off. Anyone heard of such a thing with celluloid pens? No obvious damage that I can see to the barrel threads, the section seems in fine shape (and the Koi barrel doesn't have any issue with it. It's... Weird.
    ---

Thanks

Wow--have you talked to the seller about this? Did he know? That's disappointing. I so hoped it was *perfect*.
    Lady Onogaro

Thanks

I'm still wondering if there's gunk in the threads down a the bottom that I can't see. Maybe I should take a toothbrush to it... It makes no sense, barrel matches up exactly with the Koi barrel when held end to end, it's identical. But it just *stops* threading about half an inch from where it should.
    ---

Thanks

I'm still wondering if there's gunk in the threads down a the bottom that I can't see. Maybe I should take a toothbrush to it... It makes no sense, barrel matches up exactly with the Koi barrel when held end to end, it's identical. But it just *stops* threading about half an inch from where it should.

I am hoping someone more knowledgeable chimes in, but I thought celluloid disintegrates if exposed to moisture for extended periods?

Thanks

Progress!

So disassembled both completely and tried all the parts by exchanging between the tortoise and the Koi. And *only* the tortoise barrel gave issue, everything else worked like a charm. Barrels are identical in girth and length. So I got a flashlight and shone it down inside because the *only* thing left was a threading issue. Turned the barrel slowly, and there was one spot where a perfect *square* interrupted the threads. Perfect square *blank* or gap in the threads. Got out my jeweler's screwdrivers (flat head) and using a fishtank light (don't ask only intense suspended light I had, I don't have three hands) I threaded the screwdriver and ran it right up to the square... I don't know what it was but it was *threaded* onto the barrel. I pushed it all the way up the threads and off the top, where given how tiny it was it just vanished.

The barrel threads, still tighter than I'd like which makes me think there's *more* down there in the threads somewhere, but it goes on and off now. I suspect Platinum's quality control, a left over bit of stuff from manufacturing that never got resolved. I might go back and try cleaning the threads again or I may just leave well enough alone, tight I can handle so long as it threads!

The nib is the same ultra fine nib as in my Koi, though the nibs are engraved completely differently. I never noticed before but hte Koi nib is far more intricately engraved than the rest of my 3776. When I have decent light tomorrow I'll have to try to get a photo. The material is just beautiful, and I so love celluloid. Very glad I bought it and love that fellow pen geeks look out for one another's collecting goals.

2015-02-21 18.28.02.jpg
    Last edited by tandaina; February 21st, 2015 at 08:17 PM.
    ---

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 22nd, 2015), Lady Onogaro (February 21st, 2015)

Thanks

I'm so glad you were able to resolve the problem (or at least address it). It looks lovely next to its Koi sibling. I'm so glad you were able to add it to your collection.
    Lady Onogaro

Thanks

Yes, I did a little more work with an even finer screwdriver (the pen makers are sobbing right now, sorry guys) and realized Platinum basically just forgot to try while making this one. Numerous places where the threads became very rough, or where there was junk in there. Slow careful work with the finest jewelry screw driver seems to have mostly fixed the issue. I'm convinced they just didn't *cut* the very bottom thread, and that I'm not going to mess with!

(I've got a whole herd of these pens and this is the *only* one with this sort of issue. Don't let this turn you off the 3776. I'm guessing this poor fellow should have been returned to the manufacturer by his first owner. Instead it eventually ended up with me.)
    ---

Thanks

Nice Tortoise Tandania

This is the only 3776 I have - it has a very fine nib

My photos are rather poor. The decoration doesnt feel smooth like screen print and the final photo appears to show a signature I think, but I am happy to be corrected...

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to da vinci For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 22nd, 2015), jadehawk (February 25th, 2015), klpeabody (February 22nd, 2015), Lady Onogaro (February 22nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Your new pen is beautiful. Maybe when you get time, you can take a close up of it.?

You have a sweet collection of platinums....congrats on developing a gorgeous collection.

Thanks

Don't know if prices have been coming down or maybe a more favorable exchange rate? Whatever it is, I just picked up a Century 3776 (M) Bourgogne from Hobby Japan on eBay, delivered to my door via EMS in 4 days for $85. It may be a basic 3776...but it's just gorgeous. What a great price for such an amazing pen. I use it for sketching...and with its sensitive feedback I can feel the paper just enough. Perfect.