Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Platinum 3776 Grand Overview

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Default Platinum 3776 Grand Overview

This morning a new episode of "Serious Nibbage" covered the Platinum 3776 (Black) with Music Nib hit Youtube. Which reminded me that I had promised an overview post covering my little collection of 3776, especially since I disagreed with some of what our two beloved pen geeks had to say. More on that later.

I got interested in the 3776 because I love my Nakaya and had heard that Platinum supplied the nibs for Nakaya. If you've used a Nakaya you know the nibs are pretty much perfect, and getting a nib like that on a pen that costs a fraction of the price seemed, well stupidly obvious for someone as obsessed with pens as I am.

Then I fell in love with the Koi. Snagged a deal a few months back for one on Ebay with an EF nib (something I'd normally *never* chose myself) and the rest is, as they say, history.

Now let me start by saying I do not own a 3776 black. While I adore my black German pens I'd heard all sorts of bad things about this particular black pen. Basically the black version of the 3776 is cheap. It's a body to hold a nib, nothing more. Japanese pen sites sell it for considerably less than the fancier 3776 pens, I'd say it is the entry level Platinum. I've seen one and held it and while I didn't hate it, it in no way made me want to buy the pen. If your only experience of this brand or model is the black one you are missing out, because it most certainly doesn't represent what the 3776 can be.

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/photos/i...pJdXpCn-XL.jpg

My beauties. We've got here from top to bottom:
    1. Koi
    2. Bourgogne
    3. Chartres
    4. Sai
    5. Shoji

My German pens (Pelikans, Montblanc, Osmia, Soennecken, Matador) are work horses. They might not look like much (ok the Pelikans are often jewels) but their nibs are a-freakin'-mazing in a very specific way. The nibs on these pens are very different, but just as good.

Platinum nibs are wonderful, if you've used a Nakaya you know that. Most of Platinum's pens have far fewer nib options than Nakaya though, be aware. Most 3667 are available only with the standard F/M/B line. (It looks like engeika can special order most of the 3776 with a wider range of nibs, but it will take a few weeks and you'll have to email him.) Nakaya gets you into double broads, soft, etc. Through a Japanese website I did get one of my 3776 (the Bourgogne) with a SF nib. You can always get a music nib, but I wouldn't.

Here I disagree with "Serious Nibbage..." I can't stand the Platinum music nib. I wanted it, badly, for a long time. And then I got a chance to use one. Last year at the Dallas pen show I spotted a Koi with a music nib in Pendleton Browns' personal pen case. While he was fixing up one of my pens I begged to try his pen, he graciously agreed. I loved the Koi, I hated the nib. It is the hardest nib I've ever used, bar none. It's like writing with a blunt stick. And I mean blunt, it is such a blunt stub that I found the line variation utterly underwhelming. Combined with how rock hard it is (harder than any of the other 3776 nibs and they're pretty damn hard) it was like writing with an untipped steel stub. The sort of thing you can get for like $6 with the Goulet brand on it. Maybe I'm spoiled by my sharp, wickedly beautiful italics ground by various nib miesters, or my wet noodle vintage music nib, but I wouldn't spend the premium on that nib, ever. (Spring is the whole point of a music nib, the three tines meant to keep up with fast flex for musical annotation. So I do not understand Platinum's choice here at all.)

The rest of the 3776 nibs are delightful. Do not expect the regular F/M/B nibs to give you line variation, they won't. They are quite stiff (but they don't feel *hard* the way the music nib does). The SF and SM nibs are nice and soft and bouncy. They are all smooth as glass, even the EF I've got is smooth as silk.

I find the 3776 falls into a sweet spot in pen size. It is light and easy to write with for long, long sessions. It is perfectly balanced and lays in my hand without effort. It is long enough I can't imagine anyone *needing* to post it (see the picture with the 146 added to the lineup.

Some more detailed size comparison below. This is the Montblanc 146, the 3776, and an Omas Italiana '90. The 3776 is essentially the same length, capped as these two big pens. The three pens are lined up with their bases touching the bottom of the pen drawer. The size differences are, well hardly worth mentioning like this.

And uncapped.

Here you can see a size difference. The 3776 *is* shorter than the 146 and the girth is slightly less. But in the hand they feel very similar to me and if you line up the *sections* next to one another you'll find the actual grip area to be basically the same length. There is as much room for your fingers on one as on the other. The length difference is mostly in the 146's filling knob. The 3776 is not quite as girthy a pen as the 146, but since the 146 maxes out my comfortable girth size I don't mind a bit. I'm one of those people who looks at a 149 and says "how the heck do you WRITE with that? It looks like a clown pen!" So if you find the 149 to be perfect and the 146 too small? The 3776 will be too small. Otherwise? Perfecto!

I don't post my pens, Nakaya cured me of that affliction, but the Platinums post very well and securely if you're into that sort of thing. And posted it would be long enough for even King Kong to use, I'd expect.

What really wins for me with these pens? (Other than those yummy smooth nibs) is the materials. Another reason to skip boring black and throw a party:

Look at that! They're like a jewel box. And I only have *one* of the celluloid line. (I want them all, precious!)

To take a hat tip from SBRE Brown and Gourmet Pens....

What do I like about the 3776?
    Almost everything. These are writer's pens. The slip and seal cap means they don't dry out, at all. They are wonderfully balanced in the hand, light and easy to use for long session. The nibs are delightful, and they're just plain beautiful. The attention to detail is out of this world, from the cap bands that look like fancy wedding rings to every other little detail.

What do I *not* like about the 3776?
    OK, so there is something I don't like. A couple things, actually.
    1. They are overpriced in the US. The MSRP in the US is staggeringly higher than the same dang pen in Japan. Why? Who knows, import fees, middle men taking their cut? All I know is I wouldn't pay US prices, but I hate parting with my money and very rarely buy new pens. My 146 is from the 80s because I find the prices for new ones to be highway robbery. 3776 are readily available for Japanese prices on eBay, from Engeika, and a few other sites (most ship from Japan very quickly I get my pens in 3 to 4 days in the Western US), so just skip the US retailers.
    2. Filling system. I know Mr. Edison says we should all love the cartridge converter system but... I don't. I just find it cheap and lazy. There, I said it. When I gaze at the Shoji or the Sai with a stupid converter in it I just want to smack some Platinum engineer up side the head and say "you forgot to try!" Especially given the prices these pens demand in the US I'd really like to see something like the Pilot Custom 823 vac viller, it would look so much *better* inside those transparent barrels. The converter/cartridge is just *ugly* and cluttered and it looks cheap. Buying the Nakaya Maki-e converters helps, but we shouldn't have to do that. This is what bothers me about these pens. (Because the section uses a metal collar to connect to the body these pens should not be made into eyedroppers.)

I wouldn't hesitate to suggest the 3776 line to anyone. I think there is something for everyone, from demonstrators, to beautiful classic celluloids, and just about any sort of modern nib you desire. They're beautiful and pleasant. I've snagged them for as low as $110 which when you think about it is an amazing price for a pen that competes pretty well with the MB 146, Omas, etc. They hold up very well against pens selling new for $500+, but none of the 3776 cost anywhere near that.

I've got my eyes open to add the tortoise celluloid, the midnight ocean, and the emerald green celluloid to my little group, when I catch a good deal.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (March 25th, 2017), amk (January 22nd, 2015), Crazyorange (January 11th, 2015), da vinci (January 10th, 2015), elaineb (February 21st, 2015), erpe (January 10th, 2015), fountainpenkid (January 19th, 2015), fpglurker (March 7th, 2015), gbryal (January 10th, 2015), jde (January 22nd, 2015), kaisnowbird (April 29th, 2015), KKay (February 2nd, 2016), klpeabody (January 10th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (January 10th, 2015), Marsilius (June 10th, 2015), Neo (January 10th, 2015), pica pica (June 10th, 2015), Potter (January 22nd, 2015), reprieve (January 10th, 2015), rpsyed (January 10th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (June 17th, 2015), Sammyo (January 10th, 2015), sharmon202 (February 14th, 2015), titrisol (August 2nd, 2018), Zhivago (June 16th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Platinum 3776 Grand Overview

This is a great review! I have only a Chartres (Mr. Brown did his magic on the nib), and I really love mine. I would love to get the Koi, as you know, though I haven't sprung for it yet (I don't know if you have noticed, but Goulet has the line on special in their Closeouts or Sale section--can't remember which right now).
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Neo (January 10th, 2015)

Thanks

Their clearance prices are sadly still higher than from Japan. Even with shipping. 😐 But for anyone who isn't comfortable ordering from Japan the prices are as good as they'll get in the us!
    ---

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 10th, 2015), Neo (January 10th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Wonderful review. Your beauties are...well....beautiful. Just stunning.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

This is a great overview. I loved seeing your beauties lined up together.

You're spot on re: pricing. I bought my 3776 Chartres Blue from a US retailer for $176 before realizing that ordering from Japan was much, much cheaper. My Bourgogne came from a reliable e-bay seller (buy-it-now, not auction) for $88 plus shipping.

I also agree with you about the stiffness of Platinum's music nibs. They're very, very stiff. However, I do like them and have a few. I love how broad and juicy they are. I have one that has been crisped into a cursive italic by Michael Masuyama and it's absolutely divine. I do wish they were softer, though, and I understand exactly why you don't care for them.

Which nib sizes do you have? Which nib do you like the best?

Thanks

I've got a ef, sf, m, b are into a cursive italic, and another m. One of the M nibs will likely get ground to something as well.

Dont really have a favorite nib. But love the ef more than I ever thought I would which says a lot for it.
    ---

Thanks

Is the EF scratchy at all?

Thanks

No, it is *sharp* but it is not scratchy.

Scratchy to me is an unpleasant feeling of the nib against the paper, of unnecessary friction. This nib is not that. But it *is* sharp. It's super fine, so no surprise that it can, if you miss the sweet spot catch the paper the way a sharp italic can. The majority of my pens are very sharp italics (love them) so this doesn't bother me, I'm used to writing with such a pen. For me it is smooth and lovely, but if you are used to big ball M nibs it will take some getting used to. If you are used to sharp nibs, no problem at all.
    ---

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Neo (January 11th, 2015), titrisol (August 2nd, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Their clearance prices are sadly still higher than from Japan. Even with shipping. 😐 But for anyone who isn't comfortable ordering from Japan the prices are as good as they'll get in the us!
    Yes indeed, I recently received my Bourgogne 3776 for less than $100.00 shipped.
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    For now, anyway. In the current issue of Businessweek, the cover story is on the newly formed Jet.com. They plan to compete directly with Amazon on price while offering a large variety of products. If a customer is willing to accept longer shipping times and place a multiple item order, the price lowers accordingly. The business plan involves signing up sellers like Amazon and one that was mentioned was Japan's Rakuten.
    The only downside is the $50 annual fee.

Thanks

Sounds interesting and probably easier than go8mg straight to Rakuten which I have now, but it was not a process for the faint of heart.
    ---

Thanks

Have you tried Cool-japan or Engeika? Based on at least one transaction with each, they were good shopping experiencesfrom payment to final delivery.

Thanks

I've got a couple pens from Engeika, all very easy through his website. In fact his website is now really tempting me with another pen....
    ---

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

The black music pen was the first one of the 3776 I ever bought. I was disappointed by both body and nib and sold it soon after. Love my Koi and am getting to know my new Sai. Want the Cherry Blossom.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

I keep hearing the Black body is horrific
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

Heads up. Nibs.com has a sale going: their Nice Pur is now... $159. Which is an insane price, lower than Engeika has the Nice (he doesn't even have the Pur). Obviously I ordered one...
    ---

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 20th, 2015), klpeabody (January 19th, 2015)

Thanks

Platinum Japan's in house nib making process.

http://youtu.be/1uAFHhDYckU

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

erpe (January 22nd, 2015), jadehawk (January 28th, 2015), jde (January 22nd, 2015), kaisnowbird (April 29th, 2015)

Thanks

I am really cross now. Following a tryout with a black 3776, I had crossed the pen off my wish list. Hurrah! One more pen that I don't need to collect. And now you tell me to put it back on my wish list? Damnation!

By the way, is the Platinum music nib exactly the same as the Nakaya one? because I tried out a Nakaya with the music nib recently and really enjoyed it.

Thanks

I believe they are, yes.
    ---

Thanks

Really lovely write-up!

Although the Platinum black #3776 is not the entry level Platinum pen. Maybe the entry level #3776, ay? So I think. Plenty of more inexpensive Platinums, including some with gold nibs. The converters used to really annoy me, but personally have gotten over 'em.

The celluloid versions of the #3776 are among the best in a modern pen, IMHO. The tortoise definitely should be part of your collection (although confess partiality to the brown pens).

My favorite of these nibs is the SF and the F. My eyes don't love EFs as much as they used to. As others, I too wasn't impressed by the music nib, but think I'm spoiled by custom stubs.

I used to have a lot of #3776 pens, but now only have a Platinum F nib. Still one of my most favorite nibs ever.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jde For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (June 10th, 2015)