Thread: Sheaffer flat-top in Jade Celluloid. Not too shabby.

Thanks

Default Sheaffer flat-top in Jade Celluloid. Not too shabby.

I have a bit of a focus on 1920s-1930s fountain pens done in the mottled green Celluloid generally known as Jade. Most are heavily discolored. Clean examples have significant cachet and value.

So, finding an oversized Sheaffer flat-top as presented below?

Ahhhh....

regards

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 15th, 2015), Jeph (January 15th, 2015), reprieve (January 15th, 2015), rpsyed (January 19th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: Sheaffer flat-top in Jade Celluloid. Not too shabby.

Late jade tends to retain good color better. DuPont and Sheaffer were likely trying lots of things to cure radite into a color stable material. The 1927 repair manual, just two and a half years into radite production, indicated permanent discoloration problems early on.

Roger W.

Thanks

Agreed. Still, most discolor to some degree. The late Jades seem to have a tint of blue to them. They discolor toward black which-- oddly enough-- still looks nicer than the early Jade which gets a yicky mix of yellow and brown. Clean Jade is something to appreciate
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks

That is gorgeous! I prefer the look of the Sheaffer Flat-tops to the Balances as well. Thank you for sharing!