Thread: Mystery Ink No. 3

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Re: Mystery Ink No. 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber6 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post

Well, actually, one of the only rules is "no guessing."

Oops sorry...

I am used to mix my own inks... so branding is not important,.. in this case I thought part of the fun (for the ones not testing) is to guess the ink.

Apologies..

C.
    No apologies necessary! In fact, I consider the opportunity helpful. It's a good reminder for anybody who didn't read the first Mystery Ink or those who might (naturally) have forgotten while dreaming about George Clooney.

And many thanks to all who are participating in the thread.

By the way, one person who PM'd me has correctly identified MI3.

We have genius on this board, I tell you.

Thanks

Okay, I have MI3 in a pen and I've noticed some things:

1. Yes, it stained my fingers. But only briefly. A few hours later, it's vanished.

2. I remember how much I love this ink. What a cheery color. Whoever said raspberry sorbet was right on.

3. Of course, now I want raspberry sorbet.

4. Could I be getting a tiny bit of sheen on Tomoe River paper? Possibly? Someone who knows sheen, please chime in, because I am the first to admit that I am sheen-impaired. Abd everyone else is saying "no sheen." But I feel like there's something, at least on this Tomoe River.

5. I get very nice shading on the Tomoe River. Slight but noticeable shading on my usual Rhodia.
    Last edited by Laura N; January 30th, 2015 at 04:12 PM.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 30th, 2015), Jon Szanto (January 30th, 2015), klpeabody (January 30th, 2015), Neo (January 30th, 2015), reprieve (January 30th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I have my no. 3 loaded into a Montblanc 244G with OBB nib. So another wet writer.

On Tomoe river it does sort of remind me of raspberry sorbet. A rich, sort of merlot colored ink, that was what I first thought of, like writing with wine. I am not getting any sheen, but getting a good deal of shading. It shades from a very bright raspberry pink to a deep, dark wine color at the bottom of strokes. Very well behaved but so is everything on Tomoe river. Very, very pretty.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 30th, 2015), Jon Szanto (January 30th, 2015), klpeabody (January 30th, 2015), Laura N (January 30th, 2015), reprieve (January 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Ok, so here's my somewhat lame contribution. lol.

I really like this ink, and have inked it in only two pens for this round: an Edison Glenmont 1.1 stock steel nib, and Edison Huron 18k F. (Although, over time, I have inked it in several different pens.) I will admit that this ink needs a wetter writer, but that has only been my experience. That being said, it has been a lovely performer in everything from a LAMY Safari to a Parker Vacumatic. My favorite use for this one is in an italic of some sort. I love to use this color in winter, because it is such a pick-me-up for my spirit. It is delightfully, visually appealing. It's a happy color.

Also, on a personal disclosure note, the first time I sampled this ink, it was during a time that I was trying to "break outside my comfort zone". Because, I really do love those blue-black and green-black inks perhaps a little too much. So, in order to simply try new things, I purchased some samples in colors that I wouldn't "normally" choose. I loved this ink right off the bat. In many ways, this was a "gateway" ink for me, and after this experience, I became willing to try a lot of other inks.

There are so many things I could say about this one, but don't want to give it away, thus my comments are left to a minimum.

I apologize for the indoor, iPhone photo special, but it's New England. And it's a dark and snowy winter wonderland here, right now. It's the best I can do. I could try to manipulate it a bit with iPhoto, but I've decided not to because I think this photo does capture what the ink looks like coming from my pen. I think that this looks more pink in an italic, because with that type of nib, I see much more of it's shading quality; thus, revealing more pink. I love it in both pens though.

I don't think that this pink-leaning red is "too much" to the extent that I would not want to receive an entire letter from a pen pal written with it. There is still a lovely, moody, subdued quality about it. It's not screaming off the page. It's just so good.

full photo.jpg

close up.jpg
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 30th, 2015), jde (January 31st, 2015), Jon Szanto (January 30th, 2015), Laura N (January 30th, 2015), reprieve (January 31st, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (January 31st, 2015), Silverbreeze (January 31st, 2015)

Thanks

The suspense is killing me. But I may be the only one among you who hasn't ventured into the reds beyond Diamond Monaco Red.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

I apologise for taking so long over this - a trying week one way and the other...

Anyway thanks to Chrissy I have used the form he directed me to - I haven't done quite all of it.

Anyway I was surprised how much darker the ink is. The pen I used, an Osmia 884B, a piston-filler - I selected because they are relatively easy to clean out. It was flushed umpteen times with water, then with ammonia solution and water again, before filling.

I would never buy this ink - a silly colour I think (unless of course I could draw which I can't); seems to be aimed at teenaged girls writing fan letters to George Clooney!.

Anyway, here's my test - including a short rant about impossible dipping pens that just don't work!

Ink Test III.jpg

Rgds and thanks again to Laura for organising this

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 31st, 2015), jde (January 31st, 2015), Jon Szanto (January 31st, 2015), klpeabody (January 31st, 2015), Laura N (January 31st, 2015), Neo (January 31st, 2015), reprieve (January 31st, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (January 31st, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    I apologise for taking so long over this - a trying week one way and the other...

Anyway thanks to Chrissy I have used the form he directed me to - I haven't done quite all of it.

Anyway I was surprised how much darker the ink is. The pen I used, an Osmia 884B, a piston-filler - I selected because they are relatively easy to clean out. It was flushed umpteen times with water, then with ammonia solution and water again, before filling.

I would never buy this ink - a silly colour I think (unless of course I could draw which I can't); seems to be aimed at teenaged girls writing fan letters to George Clooney!.

Anyway, here's my test - including a short rant about impossible dipping pens that just don't work!
    Dear Cob,

I am sorry to hear that you had such a hard week, but I enjoyed your review very much.

Thank you for noticing that people who enjoy George Clooney are youthful.

Your fan, Laura

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Cob (January 31st, 2015), reprieve (January 31st, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (January 31st, 2015)

Thanks

Dear Cob,

I am sorry to hear that you had such a hard week, but I enjoyed your review very much.

Your fan, Laura
    Laura you are a sweetheart and very kind to the original grumpy old man!

Rgds

Cob

Thanks
    Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,750 Posts

Hmmm....that form looks useful....but I guess I'd have to print it onto something that LIKES FP ink, or adapt by hand, lol.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Dear Cob,

Your fan, Laura
    I was thinking the same thing....me teenaged? Yeah, baby you made my day!

Thanks

I was thinking the same thing....me teenaged? Yeah, baby you made my day![/QUOTE]

as long as you're young at heart

Thanks

It's time to reveal.

But first, as requested, a hint.

Here is the (now empty) MI3 bottle:

DSC_0858.jpg

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (February 1st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Is it one of the Edelstein inks?

On other matters, there has been a fair amount of noise and bother related to ages. I admit: I pretty much am responsible for starting that ball rolling, but it's waaay into the new century, and I won't stand for any whining - from either sex - about how circumspect they must be about their age. I love you all - you are what you are, and that is more than perfect for me. So, since we're all gathered here, I thought I'd ask:

In other (non-pen) forums I've been a part of, there are frequently "real world" threads. Some of these have been places where people didn't actually sign up to 'be themselves', so having a thread where you post a photo of yourself and talk a bit about your life was more of an... outing of sorts. That said, it really adds some depth to interactions, as long as no one feels compelled to do so.

If enough people say "yeah, that sounds like fun!", I'll start one up. Otherwise, I'll just brew a pot of tea and get back to the raging excitement of guessing a pink ink.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (February 2nd, 2015)

Thanks

I must say I regret having chosen the name "George Clooney" in my earlier post in which I submitted my review. Of course I associated the name with the thread, but what I was thinking was "teenaged girls writing fan letters to Justin Bieber."

So general rather than particular! And so I fear I may have given the wrong impression; if this is the case then please accept my apology.

Cob
    Last edited by Cob; February 1st, 2015 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks

Silverbreeze guessed the ink right.

Thanks

I did??? I didn't see it named
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbreeze View Post
    It hasn't been listed yet. After seeing the bottle.....I think you guessed right. You are the ink master. Isn't the the bottle a Edelstein?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbreeze View Post
    It hasn't been listed yet. After seeing the bottle.....I think you guessed right. You are the ink master. Isn't the the bottle a Edelstein?
    Looks like it yeah. Though it was the on paper drawing really
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 1st, 2015)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

That pink ink makes me want to sip one of those bright fruity tropical drinks with a little pink paper umbrella in it; I'd kick up my feet, lie back, and watch the sun set over the ocean. And if George Clooney were there, well, I wouldn't complain too much.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

Cob (February 1st, 2015), Crazyorange (February 1st, 2015), klpeabody (February 1st, 2015)

Thanks

This is the moment you've all been waiting for, with baited breath.... ;-)

reveal medium.jpg

What do you think?
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

reprieve (February 1st, 2015)