Thread: How to reduce ink flow?

Thanks

Default How to reduce ink flow?

So, I have an inexpensive pen with a steel nib and plastic feed. I moved the tines closer and the nib a bit forward. It helped, but still the generous flow results in the lines thicker than desired when using more absorbing paper. Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks

Default Re: How to reduce ink flow?

Maybe try to use a slightly 'drier' ink like Pelikan 4001. It usually helps with me and when I do calligraphy with a fountain pen, the lines become slightly thinner.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RuiFromUK For This Useful Post:

pica pica (January 26th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

If your pen is a gusher, and using a dryer ink does not help, you can slow ink delivery down by painting a little shellac into the main channel.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

pica pica (January 26th, 2015)

Thanks

I've tried several inks already and only one Herbin seems to do the trick. I will try with shellac. Thank you both!

Thanks

The nib can be adjusted SBREBrown plays with a Twsbi nib on YouTube to increase and decrease flow and it is helpful to watch
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

eachan (March 22nd, 2021), Fouez (January 26th, 2015), pica pica (January 26th, 2015)

Thanks

You can also use hot water to help the feed to "conform" better to the nib, this will decrease ink-flow.

This is a method for Hard rubber feed, but can also be used i some plastic ones. It is not hard but but it´s much easier on hard-rubber feeds. Please be aware that are some risks as a plastic feed can be permanently deform. If your feed has very fine fins like a modern Montblanc feed has, it´s better not to do this.

Steps:
    1)Boil water in a pan
    2) Turn of the gas and allow 10 seconds to cool a bit the water.
    3) Dip the the nib and feed inside the water (you can take the feed/nib unit out of the pen or leave it in the pen, just make sure not to dip the section!). Leave it there for no more than 7 seconds
    4) use your fingers to pressure the feed against the nib ( use a cloth because the feed and nib are really hot)
    5) repeat 3 and 4 some times if needed. You can now leave the nib a bit longer (10 sec, 15 and 20) as the water is cooler.
    6) test with a sheet of paper. You should not be able to put a fine sheet of paper between the feed and nib.
    7) Do a writing sample and see if the ink-flow is how you like.

When I find the time I´ll make a video and upload it here on Repair Q&A.

This method with water is IMHO safer and easier to do than the similar using hot air. With hot air is hard to control the temperature unless you have a digital heat gun and can render the feed unusable more easily. With the water you are sure o be working always bellow 100ºc

Hope it helps!
    Best regards
    Vasco

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to piscov For This Useful Post:

ahall (March 20th, 2019), Detman101 (March 22nd, 2021), eachan (March 22nd, 2021), naimitsu (March 2nd, 2015), pica pica (January 31st, 2015)

Thanks

You haven't told us any specifics about the pen yet, so I'll make the general warning. Before you conclude that your pen is too wet and needs to be adjusted, be sure there are no air leaks in the filler system. If the pen has an air leak anywhere, it will allow too much air back into the ink reservoir, which will in turn allow too much ink into the feed and onto the nib.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveE For This Useful Post:

ahall (March 20th, 2019), pica pica (January 31st, 2015)

Thanks

SteveE is absolutely correct, first check if the pen is air tight.
    Best regards
    Vasco

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piscov For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 2nd, 2021), pica pica (January 31st, 2015)

Thanks

Thank you all!

Yes, I should have mentioned what pen it was. It's a Super5, which is not super at all.

It seems indeed that the problem was in the gap between the nib and the feed.
    Last edited by pica pica; January 31st, 2015 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    If your pen is a gusher, and using a dryer ink does not help, you can slow ink delivery down by painting a little shellac into the main channel.
    Is there a particular shellac to use for this?
    I'm thinking this is my last hope at saving my two flex pens...

After heat setting the feed on my pens, the ebonite feed has become a gusher and I cannot fix it.
    I have the nib mated right up to the feed with no gap anywhere and it still gushes.
    I have crossed over the tines so that they are right close to each other when set on the feed...it still gushes.
    Now I can write with an xxf line without gushes if I do not apply pressure, but as soon as I flex the nib...it dumps ink onto the page.

If putting shellac on the feed slit will help with this...I'm willing to give it a shot!
    I have spray shellac that I use to stiffen my hat, I am guessing this is the same shellac referenced?
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post

After heat setting the feed on my pens, the ebonite feed has become a gusher and I cannot fix it.
    I have the nib mated right up to the feed with no gap anywhere and it still gushes.
    I have crossed over the tines so that they are right close to each other when set on the feed...it still gushes.
    Now I can write with an xxf line without gushes if I do not apply pressure, but as soon as I flex the nib...it dumps ink onto the page.

If putting shellac on the feed slit will help with this...I'm willing to give it a shot!
    I have spray shellac that I use to stiffen my hat, I am guessing this is the same shellac referenced?
    I don't know about spray shellac. I get it in flakes and dissolve it in alcohol and paint it on with a brush. Genuine shellac is reversible. If you don't like the result you can wash it off with alcohol.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (March 3rd, 2021), Ole Juul (March 3rd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post

I don't know about spray shellac. I get it in flakes and dissolve it in alcohol and paint it on with a brush. Genuine shellac is reversible. If you don't like the result you can wash it off with alcohol.
    Ahhhh...okay, I will have to find some of that.
    I tried the spray shellac last night.
    Sprayed it into a small cup and laid it into the ink channel of an ebonite feed with a toothpick and let it dry for an hour.
    FAILURE - No reduction in ink flow.

UPDATE: The only thing that reduced the ink flow was HEAT-TREATING the ebonite feed as taught in the post above. I had to really pinch the feed and nib together hard and hold them together while letting it cool off....after letting it sit in the hot water for 30 seconds. Maybe I should have let the tip sit in the water longer so it would have been softer and required less pressure...

Now the ink flows the way it should, even when flexing the pen. No more ink dumping onto the page at any time.
    Last edited by Detman101; March 22nd, 2021 at 07:17 AM.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

Too much of tinkering will ruin your pens.
    When you do any odd things make sure you have a supply of spares to replace your damaged parts.
    I learnt lot of lessons from how to tips on fountain pens. and instead I follow how not to tropics.
    You can play with the cheap Chinese pens but forget about on playing on the other pens which have a non replaceable value.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (March 22nd, 2021), eachan (March 22nd, 2021), pajaro (March 22nd, 2021)