Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone here affected by Snowmageddon?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Default Re: Anyone here affected by Snowmageddon?

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenof9 View Post
    You are all lucky to have a winter.....in the UK it is just drifting rain and when you walk to work you arrive soaking wet and need to change your trousers....snow any time over that. 7
    You are lucky to have a chance to get wet trousers. Here in Canada I have snow and ice for 5 months of the year, and leaving the house for 4 of them, requires survival gear. How about we swap homes for a year. You take my winter, and I will go there and learn to swim.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MY63 View Post
    I have a couple of packages on their way to America and was wondering how the U.S.P.S deals with snow as Holsworth said a couple of inches of snow brings the UK to a standstill.
    According to the US Post Office in NYC..."Neither rain nor snow nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."
    Not around here...more like, 'If we feel like it.'

We got less than the three feet predicted. About 18-24". Bad enough.

PS: I really have to amend this; my Mystery Ink was delivered to the front door, although buried in snow.
    Last edited by Sailor Kenshin; January 28th, 2015 at 08:57 AM.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    We got less than the three feet predicted. About 18-24". Bad enough.
    There doesn't seem to be any official reporting for my town. The nearest official total to me (4 miles away) was 33.6".
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Blimey!

Great pose btw. "Go check out the snowcat and the radio! [maniacal laugh]"

[edit - hmm, woops. This is in reply to cwent2]
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (January 28th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Hate me now: a friend took this photo this morning at sunrise here in San Diego before the start of a bike ride...

NO hate... I LOOOOOVE my FOUR Seasons... they all have something special... Summer is too hot, but it only last a couple of weeks... so I am good...

C.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyber6 For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 28th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (January 28th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber6 View Post
    Hate me now: a friend took this photo this morning at sunrise here in San Diego before the start of a bike ride...

<snip>
    NO hate... I LOOOOOVE my FOUR Seasons... they all have something special... Summer is too hot, but it only last a couple of weeks... so I am good...

C.
    How come you get 4 seasons? I am only a few hundred Km from you and I only get 3. We go from winter to summer without an intervening spring.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    You are all lucky to have a winter.....in the UK it is just drifting rain and when you walk to work you arrive soaking wet and need to change your trousers....snow any time over that. 7
    You are lucky to have a chance to get wet trousers. Here in Canada I have snow and ice for 5 months of the year, and leaving the house for 4 of them, requires survival gear. How about we swap homes for a year. You take my winter, and I will go there and learn to swim.
    Where are you in Canada? I lived for 6 years outside of Montreal. I don't miss those winters. Our "blizzard" was nothing compared to the snow in Quebec. The cold was the worst part.....the cold would cut through you like a knife.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    Where are you in Canada? I lived for 6 years outside of Montreal. I don't miss those winters. Our "blizzard" was nothing compared to the snow in Quebec. The cold was the worst part.....the cold would cut through you like a knife.
    I am in the same general vicinity, about 300Km west and north of Montreal. I do not live in a city or town. It is a bitter, unforgiving, place. You should never go with your ears uncovered, because when they itch, it means they are dead, and if you scratch they will fall off. I take it this means no one will swap with me. I dream of going to live in a warm place where it is never below about -10C with bright cloudless skies.

Thanks

I dream of going to live in a warm place where it is never below about -10C with bright cloudless skies.
    You need to come here....

Summer (right now) looks like this

While Winter (don't have a photo handy), looks the same as it's usually dry and sunny, but with the mountains covered in snow.

Summer max temps about 24C - 28C and Winter overnight minimums about 0C down to -6C.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Newjelan For This Useful Post:

allanorn (January 31st, 2015), Hawk (February 3rd, 2015), Jon Szanto (January 30th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (January 30th, 2015), Potter (January 30th, 2015), Scrawler (January 30th, 2015), Xina (February 27th, 2015)

Thanks

Slushmageddon in this sleepy Buckinghamshire village today. Happy I get the option to work from home, especially when my office is like a freezer at the best of times!
    Holly
    ------
    Twitter: @Holsworth
    Instagram: @Holsworth
    Blog: beansandtoast

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Holsworth For This Useful Post:

Potter (January 30th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

More snow on the way today and Monday. Mlaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

I am in the same general vicinity, about 300Km west and north of Montreal. I do not live in a city or town. It is a bitter, unforgiving, place. You should never go with your ears uncovered, because when they itch, it means they are dead, and if you scratch they will fall off. I take it this means no one will swap with me. I dream of going to live in a warm place where it is never below about -10C with bright cloudless skies.
    Yup, I remember those winters. I can't figure out how to spell the town name, but it was out in farm land. The wind was so cold. Never missed a day of school. Would have to wear snow suit to school to play at recess. When my dad moved us back to NY, I couldnt believe how easily everything closed down with 4 snow flakes in the air. The snow never bothered me....it was the cold. It could take your breath away - literally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Newjelan View Post
    I dream of going to live in a warm place where it is never below about -10C with bright cloudless skies.
    You need to come here....

Summer (right now) looks like this <snip for brevity>

While Winter (don't have a photo handy), looks the same as it's usually dry and sunny, but with the mountains covered in snow.

Summer max temps about 24C - 28C and Winter overnight minimums about 0C down to -6C.
    I wish I could. It has been a lifelong dream, to visit Australia, and particularly Tasmania. But I know it will never happen. In the warm places many people in this forum seem to live, it is difficult to dress nicely. In my winter it is dangerous to dress nicely. I had plans to go to town to buy supplies today, but we had an unexpected snow fall and I am trapped inside. My snow plowman is unreliable so I do not know when I will get out, and I only have 3 logs, 2 of which are damp left in the house. However, my cat has faith in me and is peacefully sleeping, in full knowledge that I will find a way to drag more firewood inside, and bring summer back for her. I am getting too old for this, and regretting my youthful decision to come live out here.

Thanks

Yup, I remember those winters. I can't figure out how to spell the town name, but it was out in farm land. The wind was so cold. Never missed a day of school. Would have to wear snow suit to school to play at recess. When my dad moved us back to NY, I couldnt believe how easily everything closed down with 4 snow flakes in the air. The snow never bothered me....it was the cold. It could take your breath away - literally.
    Years ago I had to go to Texas to visit AT&T to help them work out roaming algorithms. I thought of Texas as a warm place, so wore my summer furs when I got on the plane. When I arrived it was below zero with snow. I saw women trying to walk in inappropriate high heels, a school bus slip over the parapet of an overpass, schools and businesses shut down, and cars sliding everywhere, due to about 3 cm of snow. Texas in winter is an enjoyable place. The reason the cold takes your breath away, is because below -20 all the water vapour condenses and the air is really dry. It causes symptoms of asthma. I have to use a bronco-dilator before going out to move the firewood. I get icicles growing in my mustache. I just cannot imagine how the original settlers managed without oil, gas and electricity. I get bothered by the snow, because I can not get out. I will need to use snow shoes to get to the mail today.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

We had a book rep come to visit us in Louisiana two years ago when we had abruptly been dumped into a freezer (Canadian clipper dropped down). The rep was from Nova Scotia, and he usually came down south without a coat or jacket or anything warm. He had to buy a coat while he was here. He was pretty shocked that we could get that cold. It was pretty cold here last winter from time to time, but I do not complain in the face of what those further north have to deal with, except to say that the houses and office buildings down here are not built for any kind of cold weather.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Wow. That's a painter's sky.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

Thanks

I am still snowed in, and my supplies are very low. It is -17C outside. The man who is supposed to plow me out cannot be found. I am going to have to buy a snow blower next spring to have ready for next winter. I need a creative way to raise a couple thousand dollars to get one.

Thanks

I am still snowed in, and my supplies are very low. It is -17C outside. The man who is supposed to plow me out cannot be found. I am going to have to buy a snow blower next spring to have ready for next winter. I need a creative way to raise a couple thousand dollars to get one.
    Brrrrrr....that's cold. Makes our chilly 8 degrees today seem warm. How much snow do you have?

Thanks

Brrrrrr....that's cold. Makes our chilly 8 degrees today seem warm. How much snow do you have?
    It is about 2 feet on the driveway and drifts a bit deeper around the house. This is actually not as bad as it has been some years. Sometimes the snow is relentless and it has been 7 feet around the lower floor. I have a pic somewhere showing just 1 inch of light at the top of the ground floor windows. I used to have a reliable snow plowman, but he passed away a couple years ago, leaving me to make do as I can.

Thanks

We are getting snow here...it started last night and now its going to go into Monday some time. I don't trust them when they say its going to magically end at 6AM. Not when they keep adding on inches. Nope nope. I'm bracing for impact. But maybe I will be able to get more letters written that way! So far only 4 inches on the ground. More to come. Oh yes. More to come.