Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here affected by Snowmageddon?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Default Re: Anyone here affected by Snowmageddon?

You're warming up in Canada. Balmy 2? Get the cold beer out!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    You're warming up in Canada. Balmy 2? Get the cold beer out!
    Well it sure might be time to get the beer out. The forecast for next week has daytime highs above zero, with a high of +6C on Tuesday. I will be out sunbathing soon. When it reaches +10 my neighbours will be out in shorts and T-shirts.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 8th, 2015)

Thanks

If it gets much warmer we will have to put the beer in the fridge and not on the back step. It was nice to see some snow melting. February was a cold month . Thurs last week I was dealing with minus 28 before windchill so loved today's warmth.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

So much for it warming up. It was -23 overnight last night and the next 2 weeks is predicted to be solidly below freezing. The maple syrup will not be running for a while yet. Normally we are tapping the trees right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    So much for it warming up. It was -23 overnight last night and the next 2 weeks is predicted to be solidly below freezing. The maple syrup will not be running for a while yet. Normally we are tapping the trees right now.
    Ugh. That is just worse than cold. Keep warm.

Thanks

It is still snowing. I am depressed now and feel as if maybe we are entering a new ice age. It is a good thing I stocked up on hay and seed last year, because the animals and birds are out and hungry. There must be some kind of animal telegraph because a black squirrel that I do not know has taken to coming on to my deck begging. You can tell how desperate they are, because a couple seeds slipped into a crack between the boards of a table under my deck and the little creatures have bitten into the wood to get at them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Flounder (March 30th, 2015)

Thanks

It is still snowing. I am depressed now and feel as if maybe we are entering a new ice age. It is a good thing I stocked up on hay and seed last year, because the animals and birds are out and hungry. There must be some kind of animal telegraph because a black squirrel that I do not know has taken to coming on to my deck begging. You can tell how desperate they are, because a couple seeds slipped into a crack between the boards of a table under my deck and the little creatures have bitten into the wood to get at them.

It's very kind of you to take care of them until the weather improves. The snow will melt, just be patient.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (March 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Neo, can you please inform Mother Nature that winter is over? We got another inch of snow overnight and it is supposed to snow again tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 793 Posts

Seems to be over here in the Boston burbs, more or less. Nothing menacing in the forecast, though it remains colder than normal, for the most part.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgtstretch View Post
    Neo, can you please inform Mother Nature that winter is over? We got another inch of snow overnight and it is supposed to snow again tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Seems to be over here in the Boston burbs, more or less. Nothing menacing in the forecast, though it remains colder than normal, for the most part.
    Paradoxically, we can place the blame on global warming.....the Gulf Stream carries warm water north for the tip of Florida and when that water cools, it becomes heavier and sinks to return south. This process is dependent on the density of water itself. Another current that follows the same idea is the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC) and because of the melting ice caps, it is weakening, causing less heat to be transferred north to NY and Boston.

FYI-http://www.eoearth.org/view/article/150290/

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neo For This Useful Post:

mhosea (March 30th, 2015), Scrawler (March 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Paradoxically, we can place the blame on global warming.....the Gulf Stream carries warm water north for the tip of Florida and when that water cools, it becomes heavier and sinks to return south. This process is dependent on the density of water itself. Another current that follows the same idea is the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC) and because of the melting ice caps, it is weakening, causing less heat to be transferred north to NY and Boston.

FYI-http://www.eoearth.org/view/article/150290/
    As the icecaps melt, more fresh water falls into the North Atlantic, reducing the salinity and thus the density. The "Gulf Stream" or more correctly "North Atlantic Thermohaline Conveyor" is a part of the "North Atlantic Gyre" system, in which water rises and flows north as it is warmed at the equator, then sinks an flows south as it is cooled. The end result will be that heat will not be not conveyed north, so places like the west coast of Europe and the east cost of the US will eventually sink into glacial conditions while the equatorial regions will become hotter. There is probably nothing that can be done about it at this stage. The problem of atmospheric heating is much more than just "greenhouse" gasses. Every time energy of any form is used, a small amount of heat is lost to the atmosphere. I am well aware that where I live used to be under a 2-3KM thick layer of ice, and every time I go out and enjoy my land, I see that glacier in my mind's eye.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Neo (March 30th, 2015), sgtstretch (March 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Really well said Scrawler.

Thanks

Thank you for being kind to the wild life. It warms my heart to know people care.

We are still cold here and the wild life is also hungry. I had a coyote in the yard last nite. The first time I've ever seen one up close.

Thanks

Thank you for being kind to the wild life. It warms my heart to know people care.

We are still cold here and the wild life is also hungry. I had a coyote in the yard last nite. The first time I've ever seen one up close.

Thanks

Default Anyone here affected by Snowmageddon?

Yeah....my dog was barking crazy so I went to investigate. There it was...a huge coyote. Very fluffy and huge.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Neo (March 30th, 2015), Scrawler (March 30th, 2015)

Thanks

It is lucky I had 25 pounds of seed left over from last year. I will go and buy a 40 pound bag this week. The animals and birds that live in my garden are like the flowers that beautify it. I am pleased to see and interact with them. I see the predators and their prey, and I see that life feeds on itself. I feel a duty of stewardship towards them. Some get to know me and eat from my hand others are more cautious but still hang around close by. As animal life diminishes before human predation and destruction, all life is diminished. Us with it. The more life around us, the more we become. From my point of view helping the animals is helping myself.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 30th, 2015), MY63 (March 30th, 2015), Neo (March 30th, 2015), Potter (March 31st, 2015), Wile E Coyote (March 31st, 2015)

Thanks

That is so awesome.

You could live where I'm at...be warmer...but surround by commercial crap. You could be close to a 3 million square foot mall. A place where nature and trees have no value.

How did you get the chipmunk to eat out of your hand?

Thanks

That is so awesome.

You could live where I'm at...be warmer...but surround by commercial crap. You could be close to a 3 million square foot mall. A place where nature and trees have no value.

How did you get the chipmunk to eat out of your hand?
    They live long enough to get to know you. I sometimes sit patiently waiting for them to come out and I let them see that the seed comes from my hand as I put it out for them. These animals have some intelligence and curiosity. I would rather not live near a 3 million square foot mall. I am not a "people person". People who think malls are important are not interested in the things I like to talk about. They would dismiss me as weird and eccentric, and my conversation would make them unhappy, and I would still be alone. I may as well be alone where I am mostly happy.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 30th, 2015), MY63 (March 30th, 2015), Neo (March 31st, 2015), Wile E Coyote (March 31st, 2015)

Thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427828796.728270.jpg Tuesday , 3pm , cold, snow, dark, it's just terrible here! Upstate New York .

Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 1,774 Posts

Not all that great here either.

I repeat, where is that proverbial lamb?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (March 31st, 2015)