Thread: Advice on Sheaffer snorkel/triumph nib models

Thanks

Default Advice on Sheaffer snorkel/triumph nib models

Hi, I've done some research on these pens but I'm still a little confused. I'd like to purchase a Sheaffer with a snorkel and a triumph nib, to write with. The snorkel to try a different filling mechanism and the triumph nib for the looks.

These are the different models I've found:

Special
    Statesman
    Valiant
    Sentinel
    Signature
    Autograph

What are the differences in size of these pens? Are the pens mostly the same size in length and width? I haven't come across a picture showing them side by side.

What are some ballpark prices for the different models? I'd prefer purchasing restored but there don't seem to be a lot of them for sale. What features are worth more than others? For example would a two toned F5 nib be more expensive than a Palladium-silver F4?

EDIT: Also, are the TM models thinner in body or does that just refer to the nib?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kent
    Last edited by kbrede; January 30th, 2015 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,823 Times in 787 Posts

Default Re: Advice on Sheaffer snorkel/triumph nib models

All of them are the same length and width. You're missing some models.

http://vacumania.com/website/sheaffersnorkelguide.htm

They've "decoupled" from their original price structure. The prevalence of the colors, rather, plays a much larger role in pricing. Prices are all over the place, but if the pen clearly needs cleaning and restoring, and if it is a common color, I would have expected to pay anywhere from $25-$45 when I was buying these a couple of years ago. I think I got one for $15 once. Restored prices depend on the seller's reputation and/or how good their photography skills are. Common colors can go for up to $100 or more, I think. Danny Fudge ( http://www.thewritepen.net/services.html ) does Snorkel restoration for $20 plus shipping (presumably both ways), so unrestored tends to be the better deal, but buying vintage pens on eBay carries some risk that more stuff will be wrong with it than the seller knows about (most sellers can't even tell a Snorkel from a Touchdown TM). Buy one from Richard Binder, OTOH, and you'll probably pay more than $100, but it will be right, and if it isn't, he'll fix it for you.
    --
    Mike

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

kbrede (January 30th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    All of them are the same length and width. You're missing some models.

http://vacumania.com/website/sheaffersnorkelguide.htm

They've "decoupled" from their original price structure. The prevalence of the colors, rather, plays a much larger role in pricing. Prices are all over the place, but if the pen clearly needs cleaning and restoring, and if it is a common color, I would have expected to pay anywhere from $25-$45 when I was buying these a couple of years ago. I think I got one for $15 once. Restored prices depend on the seller's reputation and/or how good their photography skills are. Common colors can go for up to $100 or more, I think. Danny Fudge ( http://www.thewritepen.net/services.html ) does Snorkel restoration for $20 plus shipping (presumably both ways), so unrestored tends to be the better deal, but buying vintage pens on eBay carries some risk that more stuff will be wrong with it than the seller knows about (most sellers can't even tell a Snorkel from a Touchdown TM). Buy one from Richard Binder, OTOH, and you'll probably pay more than $100, but it will be right, and if it isn't, he'll fix it for you.
    Good to know they are all the same size. Thanks for the advice on getting a restore done. I think I might go that route.
    Kent

Thanks

Statesman, Clipper and Sentinel are the most common triumph nib Snorkels. Personally I prefer the metal caps ( Clipper and Sentinel ) as users because of the durability factor, the models vary only in what the nibs made from and from a user point it doesn't matter.

Regards
    Hugh

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HughC For This Useful Post:

kbrede (January 31st, 2015)

Thanks

There is another Snorkel reference page on penhero.com with a bunch of photos, along with a page about Snorkel nibs and nib codes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrcharlie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

PenHero is a great reference for Sheaffer Pens!
    (Not to mention other models!)

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A wee bit of eye candy.

Mint-in-box-in-sealed-cellophane Mandarin

Couple Demonstrators.

Fiesta, with Demo gripping section.

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

mrcharlie (February 3rd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,823 Times in 787 Posts

The demo gripping section on the Fiesta is cool. I like it a lot better than the full demonstrators.
    --
    Mike