Thread: My DYI Pen display lightbox version

Thanks

Lightbulb My DIY Pen display lightbox version

My light box version is slightly different from Dan's where mine keeps light out.

I've been tossing ideas in my head about how to create a simple light box that can help control the lighting levels to take pictures of my pen collection (among other things) and as I was browsing through websites on pen stands, racks, holders etc - I stumbled onto this set..

Cheapie set used for action figures that had clamps to hold them in different poses and such that costs (Hong Kong Dollars)$58 a box which isnt all too bad. I bought 2 of these and an extension set (not pictured) and tore away at the bags and bubble wrap and laid them all out on the table

After several trials and errors, fittings and refittings, things started to finally fall into place and the base was easy enough..

Now came the outer supports and additional frames that will need to hold the black boards (or walls) in place.

Now although I already had the frame set up, I also bought 2 pieces of black backing boards in order to create the walls which will be needed to control the lighting level in the centre "Showcase" area. As soon as that was all done, I inserted the clamps at both ends and cut 1 board into half that will go to the sides, and the other uncut piece will be the "wall".

After applying some glue & duct tape the rest was easy - a few tweaks of the camera settings and repositioning of the light source and we're ready to snap away !! Here's a sample :

(Boer 8 horses rollerball)
    Last edited by Apotheosis; April 15th, 2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Default Re: My DYI Pen display lightbox version

Very cool! I can't wait to get home and look at this on a computer full screen.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Very cool, indeed!

Reminds me of the Erector Sets of old.

Thanks for sharing these photos, Leo. You might inspire me yet =)

Eric
    Son of Ragnar

Thanks

I'm looking forward to see how other people have different ways of setting up their light boxes too !

I'm sure there are others out there with interesting ways. It's always fun to see how creative people are JUST to get the perfect shots !!

leo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apotheosis View Post
    ...It's always fun to see how creative people are JUST to get the perfect shots !!

leo
    People will go to all ends of the earth to get the perfect picture.

I've finally found the time to check out your pics in full res. I'll have to try to set up another box similar to yours and do some shots, then compare them to what I get in my box to see how much they differ.

Thanks for the great thread! I look forward to seeing more from you so please keep 'em coming.