Thread: new slider on fpgeeks.com

Thanks

Default new slider on fpgeeks.com

The new slider on the homepage is cool, but it runs too fast/there is not enough time to read the sentences.
    Plz consider slowing it down.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

On the bottom left of the image there is a small pause button, just pause the show and press again to start it up.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

i think it detracts from the simplicity of the site... it makes it harder to see all the topics and news. i see the use of viewing new content at the top, but i think the original layout was better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We value your opinion and do take it into consideration when making changes or updates to the site/forum.

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    i think it detracts from the simplicity of the site... it makes it harder to see all the topics and news. i see the use of viewing new content at the top, but i think the original layout was better.
    I agree, it does take away from the simplicity of the site, but simpler is not always better. The slider solves, what we felt, was an important problem: how to keep important information at the top for more than a few days. Our first solution was to set the number of the posts on the front page to 13. We could increase this, but then scrolling and front page loading times increase. We also have the option to sticky posts, which is good, but if the same posts are always at the top for a couple of days or more many then people think there's nothing new at the site. You'd be surprised how many don't actually scroll down.

The slider allows us to keep important information from being buried, like our monthlong giveaways. It also frees up the top 2-3 posts for news where we would normally 'sticky' posts.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

I'm aware of the pause button as well, but I'll put in another vote for slowing down the slider. Unless this was truly some "black-box" coding that has been added, it shouldn't be hard to increase the display time for each slide. I like the look, and I like the functionality (in principle), but it becomes a bit of a moot point if you can't read it easily, or if you make more work for the person viewing.

Just my $0.02.