Thread: Markings Sketch Ruled Notebook 3 pack - Hand Written Review

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

KI, very informative. At a cheap price the covers would look tempting but the feathering and bleedthrough make all your nice pens look like you've just used a crappy fibre tip maker to write with. They maybe ok with some gel pens. Liquid ink would be similar to a fountain pen and biros are such an effort to write with.
    Luckily you didn't buy a whole stack of them.

Thanks for the warning and taking one for the team.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

I agree that these are better suited to gel pens and definitely pencil. The extra force to use pencil might actually "dent" the thin paper. While it would not echo, the writing would easily show through to the back side. I might have to add some gel pen and pencil tests to my reviews too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Sounds like you would be aiming to use the softer darker range of leads say 2B-4B with this paper rather than 4H or harder.

That is the big problem with buying notebooks and pads, a lot of them are packed and sealled so you cann't get a good idea of the paper quality or it FPF credentials. Kinokuniya is cronic from this they plastasize and tape everything to death even the sample ones that you can open are still covered in plastic or cellophane.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Ivan, thank you for another well executed review. Recently, I was hoping to find a notebook that had sketch paper on one side and lined on the other. I had no expectation of finding that sort of notebook out in the market, and thought I might need to jimmy-rig my own via Staples Arc format. (which I'm kinda feeling too lazy to do!) I am delighted to hear that this type of notebook exists, and I'll have to visit my local Wal-Mart.

I am a little concerned about the plastic smell though. Sometimes, funny as this may seem, I really like that smell. I don't know why, but I guess it depends on what the item is. The odor you've described, however, seems to be over the top, and I'm curious to see what I will find.

Thanks again for the review!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Sounds like you would be aiming to use the softer darker range of leads say 2B-4B with this paper rather than 4H or harder.

That is the big problem with buying notebooks and pads, a lot of them are packed and sealled so you cann't get a good idea of the paper quality or it FPF credentials. Kinokuniya is cronic from this they plastasize and tape everything to death even the sample ones that you can open are still covered in plastic or cellophane.
    Bogon, yes I tend to be cautious with notebooks that are sealed. I like to at least touch the page but like you say, these were sealed. It was a gamble and I lost.

Quote Originally Posted by kp288908 View Post
    Ivan, thank you for another well executed review. Recently, I was hoping to find a notebook that had sketch paper on one side and lined on the other. I had no expectation of finding that sort of notebook out in the market, and thought I might need to jimmy-rig my own via Staples Arc format. (which I'm kinda feeling too lazy to do!) I am delighted to hear that this type of notebook exists, and I'll have to visit my local Wal-Mart.

I am a little concerned about the plastic smell though. Sometimes, funny as this may seem, I really like that smell. I don't know why, but I guess it depends on what the item is. The odor you've described, however, seems to be over the top, and I'm curious to see what I will find.

Thanks again for the review!
    As long as you don't mind the show through of the paper. The smell was really bad. It comes from the poly covers. I did not touch on then but the covers do feel like they will withstand a lot but that smell!