Thread: Montblanc 90th Anniversary LeGrand Review

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Montblanc 90th Anniversary LeGrand Review

So, this is a rare pen review from me, my extreme reluctance overcome only by the cool story behind this pen, which I wanted to share. Also, it is just a wonderful pen for me.

Back in November, on Fountain Pen Day, FPGeeks ran a contest with Montblanc North America, asking for people's favorite Montblanc pen. The prize was a generous $500 gift certificate from Montblanc. And I, somehow, won. Perhaps because my favorite Montblanc pen was the very special Virginia Woolf writer's edition, a gift from my mother. But that's a story for another day.

When Dan told me I won, I was ecstatic, of course. And I knew exactly how I’d use the prize. Just a few weeks before I’d been at the Chicago Montblanc Boutique window-shopping. The JFK limited editions all looked great, as did the Daniel Defoe and Honoré de Balzac writer's editions. But the one I really wanted was a 90th Anniversary LeGrand with red gold trim and nib. I had loved that pen since I first saw it at the Boutique back in April of last year. That last time I was there I checked to see if they had one with an extra-fine nib, which was the one for me.

I had been resisting for good practical reasons. I already own a few Montblancs, and I didn't really have spare cash, and I couldn't justify adding another. But thanks to Montblanc and Fountain Pen Geeks, huzzah, I could now. It felt like it was meant to be. I called the lovely people at the Chicago Boutique and they held "my" extra fine 90th Anniversary LeGrand until the gift certificate arrived and I could pick it up. And since I've owned it, I’ve used it every day. So here's a review.

1. Appearance and Design.

The Meisterstück , which means “Masterpiece” is a classic, traditional design available in three sizes — 149, LeGrand and Classique. It has long been available in gold or platinum trim. In whatever size or trim, it is recognizable, almost iconic. I feel like everyone knows this pen. The design is business-like, not fancy, not pretty, but attractive, solid and well-balanced. It's the black four-door sedan of pens, to me.

Apparently Montblanc debuted the Meisterstück in 1924, making 2014 its 90th anniversary, creating the perfect occasion to issue a 90th anniversary collection. The 90th year versions of the three Meisterstück sizes each have red gold trim and a special red gold nib, and come in a throwback box. There are some other 90th anniversary products as well, including an amazing 149 Skeleton that I got to play with and would have happily traded my car for, were that something I could have sneaked past my husband.

I personally love the 90th year touches. First, the new trim, which Montblanc calls red gold instead of rose gold. It works for me, since the trim doesn’t look rosy, but more dark and subtle than I’d have expected. It’s a nice look: the red gold is warm and attractive, but not particularly feminine. Capped, the pen never screams “I’m different” or “check out this trim.” In fact, in a pen cup next to a regular gold-trim 146, it takes me a second or two to distinguish which is which, and it’s really the size, not the trim, that does it.

Uncapped, it’s a different story. The monotone red gold nib, with its prominent “90,” does initially draw the eye, more than either the older monotone gold 146 nib or the regular two-tone LeGrand nib.

I don’t find it gaudy or blingy, just noticeable in a nice way. Now that the pen is no longer brand new, I notice it less. Still, for me, the red gold color trim and the special nib together enhance the pen and make it just a little nicer. Here are three nibs to compare. From L to R, you see the current regular LeGrand nib, an older monotone 146 nib, and the 90th year LeGrand.

I’m not a box person, but the box is kind of nice, too. For me the best part is the sleeve, which is emblazoned with a vintage-style print of the mountain, some unusual typeface and what I assume are the Meisterstück’s original slogans. On one side: “nur echt mit der sternschutzmarke auf dem kappenkopf, “ which the internet translates for me as “only real with the star brand protection on the cap head.” On the other side is “in jeder lage tragbar,” for which I get a literal translation of “in any situation bearable,” but which I suspect means something more like “useable in any situation.” The box gives a sense of history, and shows the extra thought they put into the 90th anniversary pens, which I think is a nice gesture and says that the pen is a little special to Montblanc.

2. Construction and Quality.

In my experience, you won’t find a more solid or reliable pen than a LeGrand. It feels like it’s made with high quality materials, and is designed to last. And I know that’s true: I have some older 146s that sat for years in a drawer; one worked perfectly while two needed Montblanc service. The service was quick, and reasonably priced, and I expect decades more of trouble-free use. It feels like a pen that will last a lifetime.

One slight drawback for a pen tinkerer like me is that the pens are not meant to be taken apart and worked on by the owner. But I can see the reason for that from Montblanc’s perspective. That falls under “it is what it is."

3. Weight and Dimensions.

Weight: capped 25 grams; body only 15 grams. Length: capped about 14.5 cm or 5 ¾ inches; body only, excluding nib, is just over 10 cm or 4 inches. The section flares slightly and measures around 1 cm wide, approximately. For me, the LeGrand is the “just right” size. The 149 is too wide for my hand, and the Classique is a little thin. The section is actually on the larger side, and I only have average sized hands for a woman, but I find it very comfortable, given the pen’s light weight. It is a pen I can write with for hours. I think the LeGrand size would suit most people who don’t need either a very large or heavy pen.

Here are photos comparing the LeGrand to other common pens. From left to right, there is a Lamy 2000, LeGrand, Parker 51 and Lamy Safari.

4. Nib and Performance.

If you write with your pens, the nib is the heart of the matter. I bought this with an extra-fine nib, my first from Montblanc, and I can’t say enough good things. It wrote perfectly out of the box, smooth and trouble-free. I waited to write this review because I wanted to really use the pen first, rather than writing in the first flush of happiness. But two months using the pen only confirmed my first impressions: this nib is a delight. It is a European sized extra-fine, so not a micro fine nib. It does write with a thinner line than the Montblanc fine, but I find the differences between extra-fine, fine and medium to be more a matter of degree rather than of radical change. In line width, this Montblanc extra-fine compares to a Japanese fine; it’s a bit thicker than that, but also smoother in use for me. It tolerates a lot of rotation, and I’m told Montblanc recommends the extra-fine to left-handers for that reason. It has perfect flow, putting down ink with even the lightest touch, so the pen flies across the page.

Here is a photo of a quick and dirty writing sample of this Montblanc extra-fine, a Montblanc fine, a Montblanc medium and a Nakaya fine.

5. Filling System and Maintenance.

These are piston fillers with smooth action and excellent longevity. They have a very useable ink window, something I really appreciate, and they hold a lot of ink. I measured its ink capacity at more than 1.75 ml, which would last me quite a while. Montblanc makes wonderful inks, and not surprisingly I find them a great match for this pen.

6. Cost and Value.

The cost was $705 at my local Montblanc boutique. That’s the same price as the standard gold-trim LeGrand; actually the platinum-trim LeGrand is $755. If there’s any drawback to the pen, it’s the cost. It’s expensive, and most of us have to weigh that carefully. Montblanc is a luxury brand, and it prices its pens that way.

I was told that Montblanc plans to keep the red gold trim option in the Meisterstück line, but without the 90th Anniversary nib. So it’s possible that these 90th Anniversary models may be more sought after in the future. It’s definite that they won't be available forever. For me, it’s a pen I love, in a trim I prefer, so this is the one I’d get if I could only have one, and I appreciate that it doesn't cost any more than the regular gold trim LeGrand.

7. Conclusion.

I don’t have any criticisms of or reservations about this pen. I love it. I am so thankful to have it. I might not have bought it, until I got the gift certificate. But once I took it out of the box and started using it, it became far and away my favorite regular Montblanc. The Virginia Woolf will always be at least tied for favorite, for sentimental reasons, but the standard LeGrand design feels more like an everyday user. This is one of the few pens that I would replace immediately if it were ever lost or broken.

As a Montblanc fan, I like the idea that this pen commemorates the Meisterstück’s long history. I like how attractive the red gold trim is. And the extra-fine nib makes it a great writing pen for me. So it’s a pen that’s now on my short list of favorites.

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

caribbean_skye (May 9th, 2015), cwent2 (February 6th, 2015), dannzeman (May 13th, 2015), earthdawn (February 6th, 2015), elaineb (February 7th, 2015), farmdogfan (May 15th, 2015), fountainpenkid (February 7th, 2015), Jeph (February 7th, 2015), Jon Szanto (February 6th, 2015), kaisnowbird (April 3rd, 2015), klpeabody (February 6th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (March 18th, 2015), Marsilius (May 10th, 2015), mustud52 (March 5th, 2015), naimitsu (May 6th, 2015), Neo (February 6th, 2015), orfew (February 6th, 2015), picautomaton (February 6th, 2015), reprieve (February 6th, 2015), rgperedo (February 7th, 2015), RuiFromUK (February 6th, 2015), Ryliko (March 18th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (March 18th, 2015), sixmr (February 6th, 2015), tandaina (February 6th, 2015), tiffanyhenschel (May 10th, 2015), Xina (March 20th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc 90th Anniversary LeGrand Review

Well, that about as good as review writing gets. Congratulations on your new partner.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Laura N (February 6th, 2015), Marsilius (May 10th, 2015)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

That's a beautiful pen; the red gold trim is richer and deeper than I would have expected. And your particular pen has such a cool story behind it. Pens with stories are the best!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

Laura N (February 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Great review.

For me the 146 is the perfect pen, with the Pelikan M800 close behind.

In fact, in a pen cup next to a regular gold-trim 146, it takes me a second or two to distinguish which is which, and it’s really the size, not the trim, that does it.
    There's a size difference compared to a regular 146?

As for tinkering, I have no desire to tinker with my 146's, but I like a lubricated piston, and I made a tool out of the handle of a binder clip to remove the pistons on my 149's and 146's. Except for one, it is adequate, but I have a stubborn 146. I bought a wrench (from China) for $13 + $15 = $28 shipped. Fits great. Works great on the other 146's, but I'm starting to worry that my stubborn one might actually be glued in. I'm not about to force it because it's fine if I treat it with glycerin water occasionally.
    --
    Mike

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Ssswwweeeetttt! That's one gorgeous pen. Thanks for sharing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Congratulations on winning a gorgeous pen, and for writing a very thoroughly enjoyable review. I have been waiting for this for some time.

I cannot believe how attractive the red-gold trimmings are on this pen, and I'm not really a "rose gold loving" kind of person. But, the red-gold accents actually give this anniversary edition a very specific modern-classic, sleekness that makes it covetable. I wish I earned the kind of salary that would allow for this type of purchase, because it does seem worthy of adding to a collection.

I am so glad that you've enjoyed this pen, and your review speaks to how much you enjoy it. How lucky you are to have received such an opportunity; truly, this pen was meant to be yours. And, you do so much for other people, that it's really nice to see a good person receive a bit of good luck.

Your photographs, as always, are fantastic and really capture the understated elegance that is this unique pen.

Thank you so much for putting the time into such a thorough, and well crafted review. Your writing samples are excellent and also well photographed. This is one of those that deserves to be indexed for future reference. (IMHO.)
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Great review.

For me the 146 is the perfect pen, with the Pelikan M800 close behind.

In fact, in a pen cup next to a regular gold-trim 146, it takes me a second or two to distinguish which is which, and it’s really the size, not the trim, that does it.
    There's a size difference compared to a regular 146?

As for tinkering, I have no desire to tinker with my 146's, but I like a lubricated piston, and I made a tool out of the handle of a binder clip to remove the pistons on my 149's and 146's. Except for one, it is adequate, but I have a stubborn 146. I bought a wrench (from China) for $13 + $15 = $28 shipped. Fits great. Works great on the other 146's, but I'm starting to worry that my stubborn one might actually be glued in. I'm not about to force it because it's fine if I treat it with glycerin water occasionally.
    Thank you. Yes, the 146 is a bit shorter than the LeGrand -- both the body and the cap, too.

I'm with you about the tinkering. I'm okay with not having access. The truth is, I haven't needed to. But it's nice knowing there's an after-market wrench to get at the piston, if I ever have issues.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klpeabody View Post
    I cannot believe how attractive the red-gold trimmings are on this pen, and I'm not really a "rose gold loving" kind of person. But, the red-gold accents actually give this anniversary edition a very specific modern-classic, sleekness that makes it covetable.
    Thank you, because of course you've expressed my feelings much better than I could. I never have been attracted to rose gold, either, but the first time I saw this in the store I was taken with it. It's warmer and darker than I would have expected, and it turns out to be just that little bit of extra that pushes the pen over the top for me. Without making it in any way over the top. No one I've used this around has even noticed the trim.

You know that Direct TV commercial with the Russian guy with the mini giraffe? This is not a mini giraffe.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

klpeabody (February 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Congrats on winning the contest and congrats on a great pen. Thank you for the very thoughtful and thorough review.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to orfew For This Useful Post:

Laura N (February 7th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Beautiful pen with an outstanding review. You really went in depth on it's beauty.

Of course a hearty congrats on winning the contest !!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Laura N (February 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Laura, that review was absolutely beautiful and the pen is equally so! Thanks to how captivating your review was, I am now back on the fence again with the 90th anniversary models.

I should never have opened this thread. The temptation to go to the local Montblanc boutique and take a look at the 149 (again) is overwhelming.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryliko For This Useful Post:

Laura N (March 18th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryliko View Post
    Laura, that review was absolutely beautiful and the pen is equally so! Thanks to how captivating your review was, I am now back on the fence again with the 90th anniversary models.

I should never have opened this thread. The temptation to go to the local Montblanc boutique and take a look at the 149 (again) is overwhelming.
    Oh thank you. I hate to say this, but you better hurry. I think they were supposed to last through February only. I understand the hesitation, though; it's such a hard decision at these prices that I debated for months until I got that gift certificate. But I don't regret the purchase for one second, and I wouldn't sell if someone offered me more than retail.

Even if you miss out on the 90th, though, I was told they are still going to offer the red gold trim. So if you can live without the 90th Anniversary nib, you have more time.

Thanks

Ah I understand the time constraints and it's only adding to the agony. I think where I stay, we're a bit luckier as the demand isn't as high for luxury branded fountain pens, or fountain pens for that matter, compared to you guys in the states. The MB store still seems to have plenty stock of all the models of the 90th line. Instead of the stock being sold out, I can see the only issue we might have is if they get a directive to send back all their outdated inventory back to Germany (I don't know but I assume they do this?). Even though my birthday is coming up, I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of it and the reasoning that someone of my age is worthy of such a pen.

I can only hope that the normal red-gold line due to be out will be as nice (though minusing the nib) and will continue be carried in their catalogues for a long while.

Though it's of my opinion and it may be specific only to the 149, I also kind of wished they placed more emphasis on the box befitting of the Meisterstuck line. Don't get me wrong, I really like the special commemorative sleeve and box labelling as you have already mentioned, I just hoped they had a large squarish presentation box like their normal 149 line that comes with the ink - with the commermorative detailing of course. Am I wishing for too much?

Thanks

I'm not sure how the 149 boxes compare. Since they don't charge extra for the 90th Anniversary model, perhaps there wasn't money for an expensive box?

How about 90th Anniversary Skeleton? I loved that!

Thanks

My apologies, I think it's 149 specific but below is a picture I found on google (the original image came from the Inkyjournal blog)

3936605781_68d2b829a0.jpg

I suppose you're right on that and also because it wasn't exactly a major anniversary (say the centenial), they weren't too bothered. Still, it would've been nice

That skeleton is something else! Our local boutique doesn't carry it but I can only imagine it to be nothing short of amazing considering the price tag!

Thanks

I like the included bottle of ink! It kind of looks like just a cardboard box, though, no?

I'm sorry but I'm criminally not a box person, so I don't seem to have a photo of the interior of the 90th LeGrand's box. But the interior looks like your photo of the 149 box, with the soft toweling fabric, although it's smaller and rectangular. Because it's minus the ink, darn it.

Here's a quick and terrible snap I have of the 90th Anniversary LeGrand box's exterior, with the outer sleeve removed.

Thanks

I think I confused you with my choice of words, the box is essentially the same but just a bit larger and square shaped. I'm kind of the person who likes to retain everything associated with a product as I see a sentimental value with them being wholy complete (including the packaging). Only when I absolutely have to do I discard the packaging of some things (I still have all the cardboard lamy boxes when most people would've discarded them shortly after inking their pen). I'm also the type of person who sees a value in a product not only for the product (pen) alone but also what it comes with or how it is presented.

That is why I said I kinda wished Montblanc brought out the 90th edition of the 149 also in the square shaped box, with ink bottle, that they do with their regular lineup. With regards specifically to the 149, I kinda just feel that something is missing, like they cut a little corner that is stopping me from completely being satisfied if I were to purchase one. Anyway, I think I am nitpicking a bit too much on something that I doubt I'll even be getting.

Laura, sorry if I hijacked your thread a bit there. I wish you all the best and congratulations once again on the competition, as well as your choice of the 90th Anniversary LeGrand!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryliko View Post
    That is why I said I kinda wished Montblanc brought out the 90th edition of the 149 also in the square shaped box, with ink bottle, that they do with their regular lineup. With regards specifically to the 149, I kinda just feel that something is missing, like they cut a little corner that is stopping me from completely being satisfied if I were to purchase one. Anyway, I think I am nitpicking a bit too much on something that I doubt I'll even be getting.
    This sort of thing is intentional and it’s excellent proof that Montblanc has exceptional marketing.

Montblanc offers “Special Editions” like the 90th Anniversary and UNICEF. Aside from very small details they are no different than their comparable base models. I say Montblanc has good advertising because these “Special Editions” give people like me an excuse to buy a new pen.

I don’t say this to be bitter (again, I own a couple of them), but potential buyers need to understand that you shouldn’t buy these “Special Editions” if you’re looking for a completely different pen or if you’re looking for a long-term financial investment. Generally speaking, these editions don’t sell for much more ($20-50) than their comparable base models on the used market.

Long story short: Enjoy using the pen, but don’t buy one and expect it to be worth tons of money in the future.

Thanks

Laura, this was an excellent review! The 90th edition was one I was looking at because the red-gold just caught my eye while I was looking into the different versions of the 146. You may have swayed me into adding it to my want list, though it may make the other half jealous as he was the one who originally brought it to my attention and why I was looking in the first place :-)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

Laura N (May 9th, 2015)

Thanks

I am not a Montblanc person (has everyone ignored me now? ). Nevertheless, I now have both the Legrand and the 149 90th anniversaries!

This was a lovely review thankyou. Yes the warmth of the "red" gold is just wonderful. I started with the Legrand because I already had a 149; but once the Legrand arrived I couldn't keep myself back from the 149 as well.

Thankyou you too for hightlighting the difference in size from the 146. I thought they were the same. I have a 146 - yes, I'm not a MB person, but I have a few - and so I checked them together and saw that the 146 is smaller. Always learning! Thankyou again.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to youstruckgold For This Useful Post:

Laura N (May 9th, 2015)