Thread: Storing nibs

Thanks

Default Storing nibs

I've got a Pelikan M205 and a couple Franklin Christoph pens with multiple nibs each. Six of the nibs are custom grinds from three different people.

I've only got ten nibs at the moment, so it's not a huge collection. I was thinking of using some kind of small plastic storage container and line the partitions with something. But I also need labels.

How do you all store and keep track of your extra nibs, not attached to pens?
    Thanks,
    Kent

Thanks

Default Re: Storing nibs

They are in a pile in a bag. Special ones get their only tiny (1"x1") baggie. Some of my replacement nibs came in little plastic cylinders so those get reused. But most of my donor nibs are not worth more than being in the bag and that is only so that they don't get lost in the parts box. Some nicer nibs/nib units specific to a certain pen go in that pen's box in one of the little baggies or cylinders. I don't label them once they become donors.

Your situation is a little different, so one of those $2 divided trays would work fine.

Thanks

I use a manila coin envelope I picked up at Staples. I write the nib info on the envelope. If the nib came with a box or plastic container to protect it I'll leave it in the box and put it in the envelope.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I have many more pen storage slots at the moment than I have pens, so I store them 2 or 3 to a slot. Most are in little tubes to protect them (not sure what from ). I make these little tubes by rolling paper to fit the nib and taping it. If you just roll one, it will either be too loose or too tight. Instead, I roll two pieces, one for the base of the nib unit, and one piece to cover the nib itself. I make it so that one roll inserts into the other. I also usually build up the back part of the smaller of the two so that there is a convenient "stop" when inserting it. Takes a few minutes, but it puts the considerable arts and crafts training of the American school system to good use. Maybe the protection is unnecessary, but it does give me something I can label.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

I keep almost all of my spare nibs in an Altoids tin. These are the service/swap parts for my user pens. I have only one nib/feed assembly that is kept in a plastic tube, and that is the spare nib for my Pelikan M-1000.