Thread: Moral Dilemma

Thanks

Default Moral Dilemma

I’m not going to go in to details on the specific pen in question however I bought a pen about a month ago and I was having the problem with that the logo around the pen with the branding had started to rub off in only month of light use. I wasn’t happy with this considering the pen wasn’t cheap. I first of all went through the manufacture and sent an email explaining the issue but then thought it was best to go through the retailer as well as there was still 3 days left of the return period and ultimately I didn’t know what the outcome with the manufacturer would be.
    So I ended up sending the pen back yesterday morning however I don’t really know whether the retailer (amazon UK) will give me full refund. However this morning the manufacturer emailed me saying they will send me a matching ball point (that retails for around £50) as compensation.

The problem is I don’t want to accept the ball point if the amazon provides me with a refund as I think it would be morally wrong and almost comparable to stealing however if amazon doesn’t give me a refund I’d quite like the ball point. It may take up to 2 weeks to find out from amazon if I will get a refund and by then the offer of the ball point may be gone.

It’s a sticky situation and I don’t really know what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Moral Dilemma

The initial issue with your Diplomat seemed pretty trivial but you decided to return the pen and deal with Amazon. I would thanks the good folk at Diplomat and tell them that I returned the pen regardless of what happens at Amazon.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Dreck (February 10th, 2015), top pen (February 10th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

What Jar said. Just thank them, but let them know you returned it. Amazon is good about returns. You'll get a refund.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

top pen (February 10th, 2015)

Thanks

Thank you for the responses to be honest I think I new the answer before I asked the question. It is exactly as Jar said from a morally correct point of view It's best to be honest. I have sent an email and just state I have returned the pen to amazon and I was extremely grateful for the generous offer.

Thanks
    Last edited by top pen; February 10th, 2015 at 12:08 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to top pen For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 10th, 2015)