Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polishing your pen

Thanks

Default Re: Polishing your pen

Quote Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
    "Polishing" and "Sanding" are nearly sy[n]onymous terms.
    Not true. Polishing refers to any process that produces a smooth or glossy surface; such processes can include flame-polishing, solvent polishing, vapor polishing, burnishing, and waxing, for example. None of those processes is a form of sanding. Sanding refers to moving an abrasive affixed to, or embedded in, a substrate across a surface, and depending on the grit of the abrasive, it may or not have a polishing effect.

The idea behind polishing is to correct deep scratches by creating new (but less severe) scratches.
    That description applies to abrasive polishing approaches, but not to the other methods.

1.) Most polishes are activated by heat. Too little heat and you're wasting your time. Too much heat and you'll literally burn the surface you're working on. After a while, you'll be able to see the point when a polish actually breaks down and begins to work.
    Untrue. For abrasive-based polishes, the grains of abrasive will have the desired material removal action regardless of the generation of, or lack of, heat. I'd be interested to learn where you acquired this belief. Some products designed for application using a powered buffer are in semi-solid form (stick with embedded abrasive particles) that may soften due to the heat of the wheel when applied to the buffer, but such an abrasive polish does not become "activated" by heat when buffing of a plastic pen is occurring.

2.) Most polishes you find in general crafts stores or automotive parts stores are nothing more than filler polishes. They're very user friendly and hard to use....because they don't actually correct scratches. They just mask them.
    This would seem to contradict your earlier claim that "Polishing" and "Sanding" are nearly sy[n]onymous terms."

While polishes can be done by hand, it takes exponentially longer than using power tools.
    Perhaps, but it's not a very large exponent. I suggest experimenting to find a process that is comfortable and gives the desired results. I prefer hand-polishing.

Make sure you're using polishes that are intended for the media/material you're working on. Rubber/Celluloid is a media I don't have much experience with. I'm inclined to say that a polish meant for plastics would not be a good choice for celluloid.
    Why? Celluloid is a plastic.

Of note: The bulk of my knowledge is from working on cars and specifically paint correction and aluminum polishing. The process is very similar when working on pens with the obvious difference being a much smaller surface area to work on.
    I'd say the obvious difference is that pens' exterior surfaces are made of hard rubber or plastic (if not metal). They're not painted.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    That's reassuring. Is there a similar sounding product with glass in it or something?
    I've never heard of a polish containing glass. I don't think it would be very effective, given glass's physical properties.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I have never used Novus 3 on a pen, but like the results I get with 2 followed by 1. Also I have only polished by hand, not with any machines. I cut sellotape to fit over the imprint before polishing to prevent wearing it down. I do not polish hard rubber pens at all, nor have I ever reblackened them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

mustud52 (February 18th, 2015)

Thanks

Cripes, thanks to all for their replies.

I think that Mrs Mustud's hair dryer is going to get a real workout as I try out recommendations. Does anyone have a hard rubber hairdryer for me to experiment on?

I think I will take it step by step and see what works for me. So far I have had a rather scattergun approach rather than a disciplined work method. I also have to decide just what level of finish I am after. I think that, in principle, I am after a finish similar to that which would have been on the pen when new. I refer to daggy looking pen, not those I regard as having a pleasing patina of age and use. I realise this very subjective.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustud52 View Post

I think that Mrs Mustud's hair dryer is going to get a real workout as I try out recommendations. Does anyone have a hard rubber hairdryer for me to experiment on?

I think I will take it step by step and see what works for me. So far I have had a rather scattergun approach rather than a disciplined work method. I also have to decide just what level of finish I am after. I think that, in principle, I am after a finish similar to that which would have been on the pen when new. I refer to daggy looking pen, not those I regard as having a pleasing patina of age and use. I realise this very subjective.
    I can give you a piece of hard rubber stock about 4 inches long to practice on if you wish. It is not enough to make a pen out of. It is the remnant of making a cap.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

mustud52 (March 3rd, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mustud52 View Post

I can give you a piece of hard rubber stock about 4 inches long to practice on if you wish. It is not enough to make a pen out of. It is the remnant of making a cap.
    That's fantastic, Scrawler. I will pm you. Much appreciated!

Thanks

Having tried this on some scrap black hard rubber, Novus will indeed discolor hard rubber. The higher the finish, the worse the effect, though that's probably not useful information, as all of them discolor enough that you should touch your hard rubber pens with them.
    Adventures in origami and fountain pens http://nibcrease.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by firstpancake View Post
    Having tried this on some scrap black hard rubber, Novus will indeed discolor hard rubber.
    Which begs the question: why would anyone use a plastic polish product on rubber? I certainly would not.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Simple curiosity, and having had some hard rubber to try it on.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to firstpancake For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 22nd, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by firstpancake View Post
    Simple curiosity, and having had some hard rubber to try it on.
    I approve of curiosity, and experimentation. Every mistake is a learning experience, and becomes knowledge that can be passed on. I just caution people to experiment on things of little or no value. Our OP is about to get enough BHR to make every imaginable mistake, and I hope that what he learns will become a lesson to others.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

mustud52 (February 23rd, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I have used Meguiars Plast- RX on smooth black hard rubber pens to good effect turning a matt greenish brown surface into a near black glossy surface. The cleaning cloth showed that a slight amount of the surface had been removed, and only a slight amount.

This product is my standard use pen polish compound, I know that others have found products that suits them better, YMMV.
    I'm not a fan of PlastX. It's got petroleum distillates in it, among other things. I'd suggest Micro-gloss instead, which is water-based.

--Daniel

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirchh For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 23rd, 2015)

Thanks

Well, I'm just going to have to try myself some Micro-Gloss now!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kirchh View Post
    This product is my standard use pen polish compound, I know that others have found products that suits them better, YMMV.
    I suppose it's my turn to challege you

Perhaps you could educate us about why we should avoid "Petroleum Distillates."

It's an incredibly broad term and I'd dare to say most people use "Petroleum Distillates" in hundreds of different ways throughout their daily lives.

Silly Side Note: Thesaurus.com mentioned "polish" as a synonym for "sanding." However, I knew what you meant with your response to my previous post (unfortunately, you may have overlooked my point).
    Last edited by mmahany; February 23rd, 2015 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Well, I'm just going to have to try myself some Micro-Gloss now!
    I have ordered some Micro Gloss myself to try out.

Thanks

I suppose it's my turn to challege you

Perhaps you could educate us about why we should avoid "Petroleum Distillates."

It's an incredibly broad term and I'd dare to say most people use "Petroleum Distillates" in hundreds of different ways throughout their daily lives.

Silly Side Note: Thesaurus.com mentioned "polish" as a synonym for "sanding." However, I knew what you meant with your response to my previous post (unfortunately, you may have overlooked my point).
    That's not my quote.

"Petroleum distillates" is not an "incredibly broad term." It's quite specific. The fact that there are many uses for petroleum distillates has no bearing whatsoever on whether they are safe for use on pens; I'm not sure why you would imply otherwise. Do you believe that if a substance has many uses, it is therefore appropriate or safe for any possible application?

Re "polishing" and "sanding": You stated,

"Polishing" and "Sanding" are nearly sy[n]onymous terms.
    That was your own characterization, and I explained that it was wrong. I'm not sure what point you're making now about that.

--Daniel

Thanks

I'm not a fan of PlastX. It's got petroleum distillates in it, among other things.
    In what ways or aspects are petroleum distillates not appropriate for the uses we are speaking of? Just curious.

And it has just dawned on me: it would be interesting to know the final polishing procedures uses by a number of pen manufacturers in the great days of celluloid and plastic production line pens (something like 1930-1960, or thereabouts). How did Parker finish a pen? Sheaffer? Others?

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I think that a lot of the misunderstanding comes from the word Polish being both a verb and a noun.
    ...not to mention an adjective, especially when capitalized.
    --
    Mike

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 24th, 2015), Xina (March 26th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I'm not a fan of PlastX. It's got petroleum distillates in it, among other things.
    In what ways or aspects are petroleum distillates not appropriate for the uses we are speaking of?
    Petroleum distillates can attack plastics and rubber.

--Daniel

25. The Following User Says Thank You to kirchh For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 24th, 2015)

Thanks

I think we can discuss this all day, but let's not. This may provide information relevant to this conversation: http://www.protectall.com/artpetdist.aspx

"Because most people mistakenly believe that all petroleum distillates must be similar, they find it hard to believe that there are so many totally different types, many with completely opposite characteristics and uses."

Long story short, I maintain my previous comment that Petroleum Distillates is a very broad name for a number of different products. When they are found in Lip Gloss, Motor Oil, Pesticides, Perfume, and even PLASTIC watter bottles....I tend to feel that makes it pretty diverse (but that's just me).

Long story short, there are SOME petroleum distillates that CAN be harmful to plastics and rubber. However, it would be incorrect to say that ALL petroleum distillates are harmful. It is NOT a specific term and there are many different types, some harmful and some not.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmahany For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 7th, 2015), Jon Szanto (February 24th, 2015)

Thanks

I think we can discuss this all day, but let's not. This may provide information relevant to this conversation: http://www.protectall.com/artpetdist.aspx

"Because most people mistakenly believe that all petroleum distillates must be similar, they find it hard to believe that there are so many totally different types, many with completely opposite characteristics and uses."

Long story short, I maintain my previous comment that Petroleum Distillates is a very broad name for a number of different products. When they are found in Lip Gloss, Motor Oil, Pesticides, Perfume, and even PLASTIC watter bottles....I tend to feel that makes it pretty diverse (but that's just me).

Long story short, there are SOME petroleum distillates that CAN be harmful to plastics and rubber. However, it would be incorrect to say that ALL petroleum distillates are harmful. It is NOT a specific term and there are many different types, some harmful and some not.
    Of course, I didn't say that "ALL petroleum distillates are harmful." But I appreciate that you are not recommending that petroleum distillates be applied to vintage pens. I'm not either.

--Daniel