Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polishing your pen

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Polishing your pen

Therefore, some petroleum distillates may be safe for use on some vintage pens.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Do you know which ones?

--Daniel

Thanks

The article somewhat addresses that (on a high level) by describing the three basic types of Petroleum Distillates:
    1.) Aromatics- It would be wise to avoid these on a pen. These (apparently) are used as solvents such as Carb Cleaner or paint thinner....a bad idea to use on a valuable pen
    2.) Naphthenics- the article describes these as "light oils and solvents." These MAY be less harmful, but I'd be inclined to say avoid them as they are used in detergents and paint dryers.
    3.) Paraffinic Compounds- These are the distillates that are commonly found in automotive waxes, lotions, and other "delicate" uses.

My understanding, based on my research, is some cheaper waxes and polishes are not properly distilled meaning they may contain "adulterants" which in this case are aromatics or napthenics.

That seems to be the cause of the misconception that ALL petroleum distillates are harmful. Of note: there are automotive waxes that cost as much as $1000 (not a typo) that are petroleum based. My understanding is they undergoe an extremely sensitive distilling process to ensure there are no impurities in the final product.

Of course, it would not be wise to ASSUME these compounds are safe for fountain pens. However, considering these waxes are used on cars that, in some cases, exceed $1million, it would be fair to say that SOME petroleum distillates CAN be safe when used in the correct applications.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mmahany For This Useful Post:

Jeph (February 25th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmahany View Post
    Of course, it would not be wise to ASSUME these compounds are safe for fountain pens.
    I think you're getting it.

However, considering these waxes are used on cars that, in some cases, exceed $1million, it would be fair to say that SOME petroleum distillates CAN be safe when used in the correct applications.
    That's definitional, and has not been a point of contention here.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kirchh For This Useful Post:

Jeph (February 25th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

I'm glad we've got everything sorted out now.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Attachment 16723Attachment 16724

I thought you might like to see before and after shots following work on a hard rubber cap using Meguiars polish.
    I love what it's done for your sheets too (only joking!)

That's quite an engraving. Anything to do with this Bagdatopulos?
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

Thanks

Hi All

Unfortunately im not a chemist so i can not comment on Petroleum Distillates. But this video may help you with polishing your pen. Have patience and go easy. Good luck.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grandmia For This Useful Post:

amk (March 2nd, 2015), elaineb (March 3rd, 2015), mustud52 (March 3rd, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Your videos (if that is still the right word) are always so helpful and infomative, thank you.

Can I suggest that as these instructional videos are so useful that it would be a great shame and waste to have them lost in a forgotten thread that a link is made in the Library for the benefit of others in the future?
    Thank you for your nice comments.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mustud52 View Post
    Cripes, thanks to all for their replies.

I think that Mrs Mustud's hair dryer is going to get a real workout as I try out recommendations. Does anyone have a hard rubber hairdryer for me to experiment on?

I think I will take it step by step and see what works for me. So far I have had a rather scattergun approach rather than a disciplined work method. I also have to decide just what level of finish I am after. I think that, in principle, I am after a finish similar to that which would have been on the pen when new. I refer to daggy looking pen, not those I regard as having a pleasing patina of age and use. I realise this very subjective.
    I can give you a piece of hard rubber stock about 4 inches long to practice on if you wish. It is not enough to make a pen out of. It is the remnant of making a cap.
    Hey, Scrawly, your parcel arrived today. Thank you so much. I am going to have a lot of fun with those. Have commandeered a number of Mrs Mustud's cotton flimsies to polish things up. In the mean time have been playing with micro polish and micro gloss from here. Results very promising.

http://www.thesandpaperman.com.au/polishes/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Polishing your pen

I think that Mrs Mustud's hair dryer is going to get a real workout as I try out recommendations. Does anyone have a hard rubber hairdryer for me to experiment on?

I think I will take it step by step and see what works for me. So far I have had a rather scattergun approach rather than a disciplined work method. I also have to decide just what level of finish I am after. I think that, in principle, I am after a finish similar to that which would have been on the pen when new. I refer to daggy looking pen, not those I regard as having a pleasing patina of age and use. I realise this very subjective.
    I can give you a piece of hard rubber stock about 4 inches long to practice on if you wish. It is not enough to make a pen out of. It is the remnant of making a cap.
    Hey, Scrawly, your parcel arrived today. Thank you so much. I am going to have a lot of fun with those. Have commandeered a number of Mrs Mustud's cotton flimsies to polish things up. In the mean time have been playing with micro polish and micro gloss from here. Results very promising.

That did not take as long as I expected. It is amazing that we can get stuff to the other side of the world so quick. You can have fun trying different methods now. Will you be posting pics of the results of your experiments?

Thanks

That did not take as long as I expected. It is amazing that we can get stuff to the other side of the world so quick. You can have fun trying different methods now. Will you be posting pics of the results of your experiments?
    Of course. However I run the risk of looking silly. A situation I have become familiar with over the years.

Thanks

Scrawly, I have spent about two hours playing with the hard rubber stock you sent me. It is a revelation to me. I could do things I would never dare to do with a pen. Thank you very much, I truly appreciate the opportunity.

I am afraid that photos would not really display the different results using different products and different techniques. Well, not the ones that I could take, anyway. You may need to send rods to all FPG members now.

Once I finish with the rubber I will start with the pens you sent me. I feel sorry for them.

So many products, so little time...

Loving it.

Thanks

Scrawly, I have spent about two hours playing with the hard rubber stock you sent me. It is a revelation to me. I could do things I would never dare to do with a pen. Thank you very much, I truly appreciate the opportunity.

I am afraid that photos would not really display the different results using different products and different techniques. Well, not the ones that I could take, anyway. You may need to send rods to all FPG members now.

Once I finish with the rubber I will start with the pens you sent me. I feel sorry for them.

Loving it.
    I am so glad you are having fun. You might get more mileage by cutting that rod in half, or maybe disks. I am down to my last 8 inch rod. It is enough to make one pen. I was originally planning to use it to make feeds for Esterbrook nib conversions. I was putting superflex nibs in Esterbrook carriers, and was experimenting with feed flow control.

I feel sorry for those pens too. It is a particular shame about the Harris pen. I have not seen many. They were made for students. They have a screw in coloured cap to show what colour ink you had. You can easily unscrew the one I sent you. They have a springy rather than flexible nib. Here is what its brother looks like:

Thanks

Loving it.
    I am so glad you are having fun. You might get more mileage by cutting that rod in half, or maybe disks. I am down to my last 8 inch rod. It is enough to make one pen. I was originally planning to use it to make feeds for Esterbrook nib conversions. I was putting superflex nibs in Esterbrook carriers, and was experimenting with feed flow control.

I feel sorry for those pens too. It is a particular shame about the Harris pen. I have not seen many. They were made for students. They have a screw in coloured cap to show what colour ink you had. You can easily unscrew the one I sent you. They have a springy rather than flexible nib. Here is what its brother looks like:

I have a new respect for hard rubber (no giggles, please). Very accepting of hand polishing, and, I have found, surprisingly forgiving. Playing with that little rod (once again, no giggles, please) has made me far more confident to touch up a couple of my pens needing a little attention.

I have found that the patience required is good for the soul. Pen Zen.

Once again, thanks Scrawler.

Thanks

I have a new respect for hard rubber (no giggles, please). Very accepting of hand polishing, and, I have found, surprisingly forgiving. Playing with that little rod (once again, no giggles, please) has made me far more confident to touch up a couple of my pens needing a little attention.

I have found that the patience required is good for the soul. Pen Zen.

Once again, thanks Scrawler.
    The giggling started at "touch up". It may well have a different meaning in Australia Anyway, I am glad you are having success. I agree on the patience and zen-like attitude. Polishing needs to be approached with a calm, relaxed, attitude.