Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fifty Noodler's inks sitting in a box

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Sorry about the use of the word 'randomly'.
    It was very interesting to hear about some of the logic behind your database.
    I didn't realise you also did a selection criteria with nibs too.

Is there a weighting for different ink colour ?

When I first saw Aurora Talentums I read it as Aurora Tantrums
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Very geeky logic I know but I can't resist.

I have to do a selection criteria with my Pelikan nibs especially because I can fit any one of 22 nibs in a M6XX pen as M6XX pens can take M600, M400 and M2XX nibs. I do keep a record of what nib originally belonged to what pen. I own more pelikan nibs than pens as I bought 5 custom ground M250 nibs from Richard Binder last year.

No I don't preference by colour but that would not be hard to do - something to think about. I do want to preference by ink to nib size as certain inks are just boring in fine nibs.

I do store certain information about the ink such as whether it is suitable for the office, whether it shades or not, whether it is for flex pens (Black Swan in Aust Roses et al) whether it is Bulletproof, water resistant etc. I also make comments about how an ink and nib work together whether the flow is wet or dry, skips, hard starting etc.

To cut out one variable I almost exclusively use Rhodia or Clairfontaine paper stock.

My Pilot Custom 742 Falcon nib is notoriously fussy about what ink it likes...
    Last edited by JustDaveyB; August 19th, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

"To cut out one variable I almost exclusively use Rhodia or Clairfontaine paper stock." that forshadowed my next query.

But the one after is: do you have an ink book with samples of the inks and do you scan them into your database ?
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    "To cut out one variable I almost exclusively use Rhodia or Clairfontaine paper stock." that forshadowed my next query.

But the one after is: do you have an ink book with samples of the inks and do you scan them into your database ?
    I have ink swab samples for each ink which are scanned and used in my database

I use a Writing Sample card made from No16 Rhodia blank pad paper to write a few lines about the current pen, nib and ink. I then scan it to use in my database and a reduced size version is used in my blog.

Here is one I did last month.

It has date, Pen Code, Nib code and ink code from my database

Then my scrawl of pen name, nib name and ink name, a few squiggles and then the first thing that springs to mind...

I am probably on the extreme of how people track their pen use. I do know quite a few people that just have a book where they write what combinations pen and ink they have used.
    Last edited by JustDaveyB; August 26th, 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Davey, you are my hero. I will not be emulating your system but I love it all the same.