Thread: Thinking about another Visconti...

Thanks

Default Thinking about another Visconti...

I have a nice selection of fountain pens, and am looking to add another Visconti. My question is in regard to their Stub nibs. According to everything I've read they are 1.3 mm. I have a couple Edisons that are 1.1mm Stubs, a Sailor Broad that was stubbed when I bought it from John Motishaw, and a few other assorted pens. My latest purchase was a Homo Sapiens Steel Age with an EF nib (LOVE it), and I'm considering adding a Bronze Age with the Stub nib. My question is, will it write so big as to be cumbersome/unusable for me. I am comfortable with the 1.1 Stub from Edison, but have nowhere close to actually try it in hand. Anybody have comparison writing samples between a 1.1 and 1.3 Stub nib? Any help would be appreciated...
    Last edited by stevekolt; February 20th, 2015 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Default Re: Thinking about another Visconti...

I have the Visconti HS Bronze w/1.3 palladium stub. The only other 1.1 stub I have is the TWSBI

You can see the TWSBI looks to be the same... though it has little to no flex while the Visconti has some give. BE CAREFUL as I just got my Visconti back after springing the damn nib! Visconti makes a wonderful nib that is very soft to write with though you know your writing... its not that kind of soft. Its almost deciding how softly and silky smooth it writes. The stub will accentuate it even more being there it more nib to paper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 22nd, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks for the great reply and comparison. Looks like I'm adding the 1.3 HS

Thanks

I would get it used if possible, from someone who can confirm that theirs is good. I had a 1.3 stub and it was glassy smooth to the point of skipping and a generally poor writing experience. I was able to micro-mesh away some of the skipping but I did end up selling it. I enjoy the TWSBI stubs much more than the Visconti I had, though, as always, YMMV.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

The Visconti1.3 palladium Dreamtouch stub is a very wet nib in my experience and feels more comfortable writing larger than normal for me. The written results appears closer to a 1.5.

Visconti also make a 1.3 Chromium Smart-touch tubular nib with an up-turned tip (available with the Opera Typhoon Mosquito filler) - this writes slightly narrower and less wet than the palladium nib but often you need to experiment with the angle to find the sweet spot when writing. It is also a much stiffer nib.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

I got my HS from pentime.com with a 1.3 stub. It was in excellent shape. Bryant Greer answers communication and is great to work with.

Not affiliated but a happy customer who has bought 4 pens from pentime.com (Chatterly Luxuries)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    I got my HS from pentime.com with a 1.3 stub. It was in excellent shape. Bryant Greer answers communication and is great to work with.

Not affiliated but a happy customer who has bought 4 pens from pentime.com (Chatterly Luxuries)
    That's where I got mine as well... Bryant was awesome

Thanks

Agreed, I bought my Steel Age HS with an EF nib from Bryant, and could not be any happier with the service