Thread: Two Factor Authentication added for secure login

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Default Two Factor Authentication added for secure login

We've recently seen a sharp increase in the number of nefarious attempts to log into existing accounts. Some of you may have received an email that looks something like this:

Dear [username],

Someone has tried to log into your account on FPGeeksForum with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 199.217.117.89

All the best,
    FPGeeksForum
    Presently, the most we can do is blacklist the IP address to prevent people from accessing the forum from that specific address, but a simple proxy will easily allow them to get around that.

The best method for securing your account is to have a strong password and using two factor authentication. I've just installed a plugin that allows users to choose if they want to enable two factor authentication.

To do so, follow these simple instructions:

1. Click "Settings" in the upper right corner.
    Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 3.26.41 PM.png

2. Click "Two Factor Authentication" under My Settings on the left.
    Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 3.27.25 PM.png

3. Click "Enable Two Factor Authentication".
    Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 3.27.54 PM.png
    You'll see my screen says "Disable" as I've already enabled it.

You'll then need to use the Google Authenticator app for iOS or Android to generate your code.

Finally, be sure to write down your Recovery Key so you can recover your account should you not have access your phone.
    306.jpg

The two factor authentication adds your IP address to a whitelist so you won't have to generate a new code every time you logon to the forum from the same machine. If you use a different computer then it will ask you for a new code, which you can get from opening up the Google Authenticator app and entering the code shown.

If you enable two factor authentication then you won't be able to use the mobile style when visiting from a phone or tablet. You'll have to switch to the "Full Site" design.

This plugin does not impact the use of Tapatalk.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

chojo (February 21st, 2015), dkpw (June 22nd, 2023), earthdawn (February 20th, 2015), ethernautrix (February 20th, 2015), fpquest (February 20th, 2015), gweddig (February 20th, 2015), Jeph (February 21st, 2015), Jon Szanto (February 20th, 2015), Mesu (March 8th, 2015), Neo (February 20th, 2015), picautomaton (February 20th, 2015), sgtstretch (February 20th, 2015), Xina (February 21st, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: Two Factor Authentication added for secure login

Also seems to work with the Yubico Authenticator which, I believe Google's is based on.

--greg

Edited to add: thanks Dan!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

I always thought I was on a life-long quest for validation. Now I realize it was authentication I was after. Who knew?

Thanks, Dan.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (February 21st, 2015), dannzeman (February 20th, 2015), elaineb (February 21st, 2015), Jeph (February 21st, 2015), Tracy Lee (February 27th, 2015), Xina (February 21st, 2015)

Thanks

Is there anything laptop users can or should do? Any similar authentication precautions for us non-cell-phone people?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

I am not seeking an explanation of all this stuff; I just want to record the fact here that I do not understand a word of it!

Rgds

Cob

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 22nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xina View Post
    Is there anything laptop users can or should do? Any similar authentication precautions for us non-cell-phone people?
    If you don't have a cell phone to use the authenticator app then I would just make sure you have a strong password in place.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Xina (February 23rd, 2015)

Thanks

Cameras are a great way to see the best of nature without disturbing it. You can capture fascinating nocturnal creatures. Get about the best backyard wildlife camera 2023 here.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Necro-posted SPAM!!!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (February 8th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (February 8th, 2023)

Thanks

I love the way you organized your post. It was easy to read and made it simple to understand the main points. Thank You!

Are you worrying about working on a pc that doesn't have an OS installed? Do you always need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs? It seems like you haven't heard about RUFUS. Rufus comes in handy for these types of cases. Rufus download: A reliable Bootable USB Creator. Rufus is a freeware utility for creating bootable USB drives and Live USB drives using an ISO file.

Thanks

Reported.