Thread: Exotic Sheaffer Balance Ebonized Pearl from the LA Pen Show 2015

Thanks

Default Exotic Sheaffer Balance Ebonized Pearl from the LA Pen Show 2015

This year's LA Pen Show (Feb 2015) allowed me to add several great pens to my personal collection. I bought plenty for the website as well. This one goes into my personal collection. Sheaffer 1934-1935 Balance, oversized, Ebonized Pearl Celluloid, off-catalogue with extra-wide gold-filled cap-band. This is not an Autograph, a pen with solid gold trim, though based on the wide cap-band one might at first have wondered. I've seen just a few Balances with extra-wide smooth gold-filled cap-band and this is the first in Ebonized Pearl, never mind oversized Ebonized Pearl. One readily can imagine this to have been a special order item. "Hey we'd like to give a gift pen but don't want to spring for the $20 or so for solid gold trim. Could you give us a slightly bumped cap-band?"

Perhaps more scarce than some of the exotic cap-band pens (double, triple, fish-scale), it still packs a bit less oomph than those pens. Still, I'm always happy to add to the collectiona Balance that's a bit off the beaten path. This one is not in bad shape, though has a bit of brassing. Though I am a mere wee dabbler at Balance, mapping the skills honed from years of Parker Vacumatic hunting does make for some nice finds.

I post this as I end my short-notice vacation in Uruguay. Had some Bailey's in the airport VIP lounge. Getting ready on the plane for takeoff, dinner and 7 hours sleep. Weird week.

Sweet pen. I hope to have a couple other interesting Sheaffers to show later this week, some from the recent pen show.
    Last edited by david i; February 24th, 2015 at 04:20 AM.
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 24th, 2015), da vinci (February 24th, 2015), dannzeman (February 25th, 2015), earthdawn (February 24th, 2015), fountainpenkid (February 24th, 2015), Frantik (February 25th, 2015), Jeph (February 24th, 2015), Jon Szanto (February 25th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: Exotic Sheaffer Balance Ebonized Pearl from the LA Pen Show 2015

Just stunning, ebonized pearl personifies understated elegance imo.

Regards
    Hugh

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HughC For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 25th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post

Regards
    Hugh
    And it's interesting that this classy color appeared before the marbled Gray Pearl, but remained proudly in Sheaffer's top-of-the-line items while the Gray Pearl, apparently losing favor with the masses, was relegated to entry-level items only, then disappeared entirely.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kirchh For This Useful Post:

HughC (February 25th, 2015)

Thanks

A key charm in collectable pendom is stimulating the generation of opinions and information-- both new and of course often old-- via the presentation of rare fountain pen eye candy. Excellent.

As is known to most of us, Ebonized Pearl-- like some other colors before it-- also wobbled in the end and-- again as with other colors in the series-- saw itself reduced in use to lower-tier Balances before vanishing.

Stay tuned, girls and boys. There should be more Sheaffer eye-candy from this wee dabbler in the week to follow

-d
    Last edited by david i; February 25th, 2015 at 02:01 PM.
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post

Regards
    Hugh
    You know it. I have a collection of funky OS Ebonized with interesting features. I must hunt them.

regards

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

HughC (February 25th, 2015)